Wound Sealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just going to chime in here about the wound dressing. Im not a professional, just a hobby firewood cutter, tree pruner with some training through the NPS. Myself, I have always sprayed wounds with standard old automotive undercoating with seemingly great results. The wounds have healed over and no rot. Maybe Im wrong in doing this but its something i read about years ago. This is no longer, or never was accepted in the tree care world? Again, home owner, firewood gatherer... no need to be rude in responding, just asking for input as what to do going forward. Thanks,

just going to chime in here about the wound dressing. Im not a professional, just a hobby firewood cutter, tree pruner with some training through the NPS. Myself, I have always sprayed wounds with standard old automotive undercoating with seemingly great results. The wounds have healed over and no rot. Maybe Im wrong in doing this but its something i read about years ago. This is no longer, or never was accepted in the tree care world? Again, home owner, firewood gatherer... no need to be rude in responding, just asking for input as what to do going forward. Thanks,

:dizzy:

exactly... I get lost myself in these threads as what to do or not to do. I'll research it elsewhere.
Wound dressing is unnecessary and can potentially have negative effects on the tree. This was my thought prior to my original post but was looking for any reason why someone still might use it. The only reason I have found here so far is for asthetics, which is not a good enough reason for me to further threaten the health of the tree. Thank you for all of your replies fellas. And A10, please keep automobile undercoating off of trees. Cheers!

In the 1970s it was still common to use things like tar and PRC (Plastic Roofing Cement.. an asphalt product) for this. Decay would set in fast, since no air was getting to the wound. Still, people believed they were keeping insects and disease out of the wound. It's not hard to see where they got the idea. They had no clue how very different a tree responds to injury, compared to an animal. The only thing they really have in common is that both need exposure to air to keep nasty things from growing in a high humidity environment. This is why we take a bandaid off a cut after a day or two. The tree doesn't need the bandaid, and the sooner the wound can dry out, the better.

I don't have a problem, myself, with a light coat of paint for aesthetic reasons, or if it makes the customer feel better... like you are doing something to help it heal. But I tell them the reality of it, and if they aren't convinced, then I'll charge them for the overpriced tree "wound paint" in a puff can and leave them with a brochure explaining why it's silly. Not much else you can do.

In the 1970s it was still common to use things like tar and PRC (Plastic Roofing Cement.. an asphalt product) for this. Decay would set in fast, since no air was getting to the wound. Still, people believed they were keeping insects and disease out of the wound. It's not hard to see where they got the idea. They had no clue how very different a tree responds to injury, compared to an animal. The only thing they really have in common is that both need exposure to air to keep nasty things from growing in a high humidity environment. This is why we take a bandaid off a cut after a day or two. The tree doesn't need the bandaid, and the sooner the wound can dry out, the better.

I don't have a problem, myself, with a light coat of paint for aesthetic reasons, or if it makes the customer feel better... like you are doing something to help it heal. But I tell them the reality of it, and if they aren't convinced, then I'll charge them for the overpriced tree "wound paint" in a puff can and leave them with a brochure explaining why it's silly. Not much else you can do.
Very well put

Thanks for the input. Like I said, when i read about the Undercoating, well, it was 10-12 years ago and I never really gave it any more concern, I just used it. We dont use it at work, but i guess its was more because of time and cost than anything. Thanks fellas!

This is a large tearout wound with exposed heartwood. A sealant may lessen cracking, which may speed CODIT. Citing research on small branch pruning wounds does not seem relevant here. (Other research supports the use of Lac-Balsam etc. btw) Starting an argument with your boss about such a trifle, with such a feeble basis, might make you sound like a dogmatic A-hole.

Pel, I love Coder's plumbing approach. I had the honor of introducing him when he first presented it. You must have someone else in mind...

This is a large tearout wound with exposed heartwood. A sealant may lessen cracking, which may speed CODIT. Citing research on small branch pruning wounds does not seem relevant here. (Other research supports the use of Lac-Balsam etc. btw) Starting an argument with your boss about such a trifle, with such a feeble basis, might make you sound like a dogmatic A-hole.

Pel, I love Coder's plumbing approach. I had the honor of introducing him when he first presented it. You must have someone else in mind...
Thank you for a different view of the topic. Much appreciated. I don't have any reason to argue with my boss. Just learning what I can and getting other views on this topic, so no ******* here. Thanks again and cheers!

Thank you for a different view of the topic. Much appreciated. I don't have any reason to argue with my boss. Just learning what I can and getting other views on this topic, so no ******* here. Thanks again and cheers!

All good. I constantly disagreed with bosses about tree removal decisions, so I had no choice but self-employment. That road is less traveled because it is fraught with horrors--not recommended!

All good. I constantly disagreed with bosses about tree removal decisions, so I had no choice but self-employment. That road is less traveled because it is fraught with horrors--not recommended!
Yeah, I'm pretty laid back and not really into confrontation so if my difference of opinion isn't over a big issue I tend to let it slide. Definitely been tossing around the idea of contract climbing but seems like it would be constant removals, with many of them being for no reason, which would take a lot out of the arboriculture aspect of the biz. Too many Cowboys out there and tree care already has bad/un-understood reputation around my part of the world

In the 1970s it was still common to use things like tar and PRC (Plastic Roofing Cement.. an asphalt product) for this.

I was working for Park Cities Tree Service in Dallas, TX in the mid eighties ('83, '84, '85) before I started my own deal in 1986. As far as I know there was not a company in town not using that ****.

My bad, Treeseer, and a sincere apology.
I had the honor of hearing him (Coder) present some thoughts on pruning at an ISA Ontario Chapter conference years ago, and remember him being an excellent speaker who really captured and held everyone's attention.

I think the next best step will be Lac Balsam on the phloem and xylem and 1st few rings of wood. This allows dead wood to react with air and the live wood to retain moisture for healing tissue to form

Back