wounded Oak Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul06

Reaction score
:dizzy:
Hi! This is my first post on this forum. I have an Oak tree in my front yard. A few years ago this land was cleared for our house. I have no idea what kind of Oak it is. However, I do know that it has a large wound on the Northeast side. I have no idea how it got there as it was like that when the house was built. The trunk is approx 9ft in circumfrance [sp]. The wound is huge. and inside it seems to be rotting. I have pictures and will attempt to include them with my post. Also, I have inclosed pix of the leaves if you need to ID it. The crown seems to be OK from what can tell from the ground. I am a neophite in tree knowledge and would appreciate any advice that I recieve. I am concerned because it is close to the house. I did have an arborist look a it last year. He said, at that time it looked OK, by needed a trim badly and because there is a Y in the trunk we shoud have a cable inserted to give it strength. Last year when he cam out the trunk in the would did not appear to be in the state of decay it is know.

It's hard to tell in the pic if the y in the top is a good strong junction. If it is, no cable would be needed. The only problem I would have is the decay in the base. You can see where the tree is healing, the scar tissue that is rolling in on both sides of the wound, looks good. The problem is the life of the tree is just under the bark, in the cambium. The wood in the center of the tree is just for strenght. So, the tree can be healthy and growing well, and still have a weak spot where the rot is. If it's only a couple inches deep, it's probabley OK. If it starts to get where it's a third to half way through the tree, it's definatley getting risky.

Maybe I'd get a second opinion and see what they say. I'd hate to say it looks good from here in MD, just to find out the rot goes much deeper than it looks, and have it go down in a storm, Joe.

The only problem I would have is the decay in the base. If it starts to get where it's a third to half way through the tree, it's definatley getting risky.

Maybe I'd get a second opinion and see what they say. I'd hate to say it looks good from here in MD, just to find out the rot goes much deeper than it looks, and have it go down in a storm, Joe.

:chainsaw:
Thanks for the reply, Joe. It does appear that the rot extends well into the trunk of the wound. I really would hate to see that tree go; however beter it than the house :agree2: I guess the only thing to do is bite the bullet and call an arborist to have a look-see. Thanks again.
Paul

tree is making strong response, gaining strength with scar tissue. pull out the loose dead material and poke in a yardstick.

9' circ?????

tree is making strong response, gaining strength with scar tissue. pull out the loose dead material and poke in a yardstick.

9' circ?????

Thank you for your response. I am not a math wizard, as you can tell :)
The measurement was taken by placing the tape completly around the trunk.
You say it is OK to remove the rotted wood within the trunk?
Paul

it would be better than leaving it. Rotted wood makes wood it is touching rot. Rot is like cancer. We have a lot of trees like that around here with the bottom rotting out. Most people say they want it left alone because the tree hasn't moved in years!:confused:

it would be better than leaving it. Rotted wood makes wood it is touching rot. Rot is like cancer. We have a lot of trees like that around here with the bottom rotting out. Most people say they want it left alone because the tree hasn't moved in years!:confused:

Hmmmmm! Thanks to the reply and heads up on how rotting wood spreads to good wood if left alone.
Paul

Latest posts

Back