wow a ported 066/660.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fin460

Ham Fisted
Reaction score
I picked up a decent shape MS660 with a ported 066 jug. I got it out of TN from a member here who said he had Mastermind cut the squish and shape the transfers, then the member did his own work to intake and exhaust. I got it a few weeks ago and played with it a little, a few cookies, a few noodles, but no serious outing yet.
I found a nice oak tree that had fallen out by a corn field while I was harvesting, very nice tree probably 36" at base, most of my cuts were a few inches wider than my 24" bar. Very straight grain but wasn't a top notch log, and I needed the firewood.

Enough about the wood, this is my first saw larger than a ms460, I cannot believe how strong it was, 26"log and most of my cuts had to be less than 10 seconds, it cut soo fast, and had so much torque left over. I know the power head is over kill for a 24" bar, but this length handles most of what I cut, I'm saving the 32" bar for some bigger wood. I thought this oak was more like 20" from the combine.

I didn't notice the 660 being much heavier than my ms460's, but wow the increase in power is unreal. Why didn't I get one of these saws a long time ago. I know I don't log and I don't need it, but everyone should try one of these.

This saw has an 066 jug, is there an edge with 066 over the 660, or was this jug placed on because it was handy. I haven't ever looked into 066/660's I never thought I would own one.
Chalk another one up to CAD.

And the 661 is suppose to be even better?
A very happy wood cutter.

It bucked the log up so fast that I didn't run it all that much. I only cut one to two pick up loads at a time so I doubt I'll notice it. I split everything by hand, that's more of a worry to me than a poor antivibe saw, but yes less vibe the better.
I need to invest in a splitter before I end up with bad wrists and elbows. Good exercise though.

A strong/ ported 066 is a blast. The early 066 cylinders offer "better" port timing than the later 066 and 660 cylinders which is partially due to the lower exhaust area, or so I think (if I remember correctly). The non decomp 066 cylinder and a poly flywheel 066 makes a sweet combo.

I just got a ms660 myself haven't had it in any wood yet still working a few bugs out looking to compair it to my 044 and I'm like you never owned a 660 and to be honest have no need for it but I bet it's going to be fun lol

You could not knock the grin off my face when I kicked the dawgs in and felt all the torque
Lol I bet kinda like hitting 4th gear with the 6.7 cummins and blast around a 7.3 can't wait to put it to work just kidding about the 7.3 lol

Fin, glad you like the saw! It is a poly flywheel saw, and fun to run once you get it started.
Its very fun, and so far it has been pretty easy to start. Its not a saw you want to shut off and turn back on often, but I cranked it a few times today and it even started good cold. 4 or 5 pulls is the most its taken so far. I could see having to replace the starter pawls someday though.

Is that what will go wrong first from hard yanking, starter pawls? I do make sure everything is tight before I yank, ha I also stretch first too!

I have a 2012 Reg cab, I finally broke down and had a friend order me a straight pipe. and a smarty
I've got the xrt pro can you still do the dpf delete on the 2012 I've got about 4000 more miles and I'm doing a full delete to mine

Figured I’d revive this thread as I’m the current owner of this 066/660 chip slinger.

I purchased it back in April 2014 from fin460.

I don’t think I’ll ever sell it as it always puts a big grin on my face.

I have a 36” Stihl bar for it that it mostly wears with the occasional 28” ES Light.

It’s been a great saw for me. I have smaller saws to use but I always grab this beast for any kind of wood to cut up.

Recently I have been cutting up some large fallen trees for a farmer outside of town where I live.

He did take a video of me with it but it didn’t turn out well. (Blurry)

The saw sure did throw chips quite a distance in the blurry video as that video was the first someone took of me cutting wood. :cool:

I built my 066 back in 07 with some help from members that were active back then, it has all the correct parts to make it a super chip hauler. It`s only problem is breaking even the strongest starter rope and Elasto Start handles. :)

Back