Wrapping handlebar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I remember seeing posts about this, but for some reason I can't find them now with searches.

I want to wrap/tape a couple slippery chainsaw handles and I was wondering what folks had found over the years that was readily available and worked well.

Want fairly grippy with some cushioning - grip is the top priority for this application.

I remember seeing posts about this, but for some reason I can't find them now with searches.

I want to wrap/tape a couple slippery chainsaw handles and I was wondering what folks had found over the years that was readily available and worked well.

Want fairly grippy with some cushioning - grip is the top priority for this application.

Friction tape will do the trick. Kinda sticky, but if a guy needs grip on tape, that'll take care of business.

:agree2: Friction tape is great stuff. Chainsaw handles, suicide clutch pedals on a HD, its all around great.

Friction tape sounds promising.

I also wondered if maybe there was some sort of wrap used for bicycles that might be kind of like friction tape but maybe more moisture resistant.

I also wondered if maybe there was some sort of wrap used for bicycles that might be kind of like friction tape but maybe more moisture resistant.

Back in the day when Schwinn 10-speeds were all the rage, you could by padded handlebar wrap that provided both grip and cushion. Not sure if it would withstand the torque/pressure of chainsawing, or if it's still available. If it is for sale, considering the bike crowd, I'd guess it'll cost 4,386 times as much as a roll of friction tape.

So pick your poison. :D :D

I remember someone on hear used the right diameter heater core hose on the handel bar to improve grip and add cushioning. I will see if I can dig up a link

I found it they used new handle bar tubing from stihl they give the part numbers in this thread but it is a bit pricey http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=47131

Last edited:
You can get heavy duty heat shrink tubing for electrical applications. Some types have adhesive cores and are pretty squishy for a good grip.

I remember someone on hear used the right diameter heater core hose on the handel bar to improve grip and add cushioning. I will see if I can dig up a link

I found it they used new handle bar tubing from stihl they give the part numbers in this thread but it is a bit pricey http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=47131

I did that too! either 5/8 or 3/4" hose i forget. It took me about 4 hours to get it on a full wrap handle bar with a little lubrication!
My hands hurt for days! The first hour was pretty bad, the second was horrible. The third wasn't so bad because the blisters on my hands had pretty much been pressed out by force. The fourth...Well i finished it and its got great grip, But, it will turn your hands black after some use if you dont use gloves.

By the way if you do this difinately hook up a system where you're not twisting it back and forth with your hands like me. Use and air compressor and preassurize the wrapping when you put it on the bar, blow air through that thing and it will slip onto the handle bar nicely.
my new motto, "Smarter, not harder" lol, well, harder does have its place.:cheers:

Bikes

Never thought about it. It's about 10 or 15 bucks for 2 rolls of it with the proper stuff to attach it. It comes in all kinds and colors too. Super grippy and cushiony... I know, I just wrapped my road bike bars... I can't put a link to another store on here or I would. Yahoo! look up bike handlebar tape. Maybe $20 for top of the line...

:cheers:

Never thought about it. It's about 10 or 15 bucks for 2 rolls of it with the proper stuff to attach it. It comes in all kinds and colors too. Super grippy and cushiony... I know, I just wrapped my road bike bars... I can't put a link to another store on here or I would. Yahoo! look up bike handlebar tape. Maybe $20 for top of the line...

Click on the dreaded auction site Under Sporting Goods sub title Handlebar tape today there were 1300 items to choose from I find the cork cushion grip works best for me

If a non slip grip is your top priority, coat the afflicted area with surfboard wax. If Charlie don’t surf, you can use pine pitch, it eventually dries out but imbedded grit and dust usually are enough to give you an excellent grip. I would recommend atlas 300 gloves for padding, vibration dampening and grip.

Click on the dreaded auction site Under Sporting Goods sub title Handlebar tape today there were 1300 items to choose from I find the cork cushion grip works best for me

I worked as a bicycle mechanic for several years and I do not believe that there is a bar tape strong enough and with grip enough for a regular use on a chainsaw. One of the causes is that bicycle components are built to be light and to be replaced once in a while.

Cork tape is not know for its "longevity". In a chainsaw, it would last for the first 30 seconds and that's it!

Last edited:
Consider a wrap on tape called "Coban". It is used mostly in the medical and veterinary industry as bandaging. It comes in every color and can be wrapped as thick or thin as you like. It wears well but is also easily changed. You can get it at most any farm supply store or if you have a friend who works for the fire dept or on an ambulance they always have rolls of the stuff. I have also heard it called vet wrap. If you can't find any PM me and I'll send you a roll. My girlfriend is a paramedic and I'll just get you a couple of rolls off her truck. Try it, you'll like it.
Stew...

Consider a wrap on tape called "Coban". It is used mostly in the medical and veterinary industry as bandaging. It comes in every color and can be wrapped as thick or thin as you like. It wears well but is also easily changed. You can get it at most any farm supply store or if you have a friend who works for the fire dept or on an ambulance they always have rolls of the stuff. I have also heard it called vet wrap. If you can't find any PM me and I'll send you a roll. My girlfriend is a paramedic and I'll just get you a couple of rolls off her truck. Try it, you'll like it.
Stew...

Is that the stretchy "cloth" stuff that sticks to itself for bandaging? I was impressed with it when I hurt my hand a few years ago and I got some for my first aid kit. I'll have to remember to dig it out and maybe try it.

Back