Wrapping handlebar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bass pro shops sells a tape you wrap around the handle of a fishing rod. Stays in place really well, has some cushion to it and moisture is not a problem. Its cheap and comes in colored rolls.

Also heard that you could blow compressed air into the heater hose to expand it and help it slide up the bar.

I just picked up a roll of replacement handle hose from Stihl this week, looks like it may be a little fun getting it on the handle but it should last and wear a very long time once installed. It states its 19 mm ID and the handles I have measured so far are over 20 mm., it will be a tight fit, too bad its not a little more like shrink wrap. I can see me gearing up to fit a air hose to one end.
Pioneerguy600

I just picked up a roll of replacement handle hose from Stihl this week, looks like it may be a little fun getting it on the handle but it should last and wear a very long time once installed. It states its 19 mm ID and the handles I have measured so far are over 20 mm., it will be a tight fit, too bad its not a little more like shrink wrap. I can see me gearing up to fit a air hose to one end.
Pioneerguy600

I think this has been mentioned before, but, use compressed air when you try to slip it on, it really works. If it weren't for compressed air, I don't think anyone would be able to get snogo grips on; they're tight. If grips can be put on, that hose should go on slicker'n lizard poop on a hot brass pole.

I think this has been mentioned before, but, use compressed air when you try to slip it on, it really works. If it weren't for compressed air, I don't think anyone would be able to get snogo grips on; they're tight. If grips can be put on, that hose should go on slicker'n lizard poop on a hot brass pole.

Yep, its going to get a few lbs of air.
Pioneerguy600

i used bycicle handlebar wrap.
GEDC1676.jpg

Idea

Bike handlebar wrap with friction tape over the top. Good and grippy, and comfortable... Friction tape should stand up to just about anything for quite and while and the handlebar tape will last a long time for cushion... Think we can close this problem out...

:cheers: eh?

Andddd

Dish detergent... It dries and gets super sticky, but should help you slide it on easily...

If grip is the issue then why not find a nice pair of grippy gloves. My main worksaw's full wrap covering is worn pretty smooth, but with a nice set of cotton rubber gloves it doesn't slip at all. The gloves I use are real tight fitting and nice to use. These ones look a bit baggy.
441515_main.jpg

If grip is the issue then why not find a nice pair of grippy gloves. My main worksaw's full wrap covering is worn pretty smooth, but with a nice set of cotton rubber gloves it doesn't slip at all. The gloves I use are real tight fitting and nice to use. These ones look a bit baggy.
441515_main.jpg

One issue for me with rubber gloves is that I often am handling the wood I am cutting on. The slightest bar oil on the rubber and the handlebar is slick.

I do use them depending on what I am cutting, but leather gloves take more to get slick.

OT, but for climbing, atlas has a new glove with an extra "rubber" layer that really holds up better for ropes, etc. Still only around $4, but lasts me about 3 times as long as regular atlas gloves when climbing.

I worked as a bicycle mechanic for several years and I do not believe that there is a bar tape strong enough and with grip enough for a regular use on a chainsaw. One of the causes is that bicycle components are built to be light and to be replaced once in a while.

Cork tape is not know for its "longevity". In a chainsaw, it would last for the first 30 seconds and that's it!

I have had cork tape on th rear bar of a Pioneer P50 That I have run approx 14 tanks of fuel through & to date it is showing very little signs of wear I too was a mechanic for a Pro cycling team for 8 seasons & the bar tape was changed often not because of wear but for presentation Training bikes mostly ran a season without a tape change.

I've installed motorcylcle grips with hairspray. Stays slippery for a while, then acts like glue. might work for CS handles.

Cold Shrink Tubing

3M makes a product called 'cold shrink tubing'. It is a thick-walled, cushioned, rubber tubing that is expanded around a plastic, spiral-wound core. It was originally intended to insulate splices on high voltage wires. You slide the expanded tube over the splice, handle, whatever; grab one end of the inner, plastic spiral wrap; and as you pull it out, the tubing collapses tightly around the item.

It's a very cool and fun product.

I have used it many times over the years for many handles, to pad them and reduce vibration, cold transmission, etc. It's a little hard to find as it is an industrial product sold through wholesale electrical supply houses, but comes in several different diameters and many different lengths.

The 3M link is long, so just Google '3M cold shrink tubing'.

Stiletto sells it as a high-priced accessory to their high-priced titanium hammers (http://store.stilettotools.com/catalog/accessories-c-7.html).

*** The only question is whether it would bend around the corners of your wrap handle with the stiff, inner core. *** But if it does, I think that you will be very happy with it.

Philbert

attachment.php

i almost boughts some of that stuff but want sure it would work and didnt want to waste the money if it didnt work, does look like good stuff though

Pioneerguy600

Just an update, today I replaced the handle cover on one of the 090`s , it worked like a charm . Hooked up an airline to one end and slipped the other over the metal handle, a little lubricant, type electricians use to pull wire through conduit pipe, and the hose works on with a little bit of effort. Fits really nice even around bends and seems tight on the handle, it is 19 mm ID and the handle measured roughly 22 mm. With the air hose connected the hose will streatch to 23-24 mm and slides along with a little pulling and pushing , makes a very nice job when completed, feels good too.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back