wrist size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailduster2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Your final tie-in point should not be smaller than the size of your wrist! Is there any truth to this statement?

Depends on the species of tree, the condition it's in, and what kind of work you have to perform after you're tied in. I would'nt be tied in on something that small in a Poplar or White pine if I had to do some long limb-walks. Maybe if I was tied in with the other end of my rope down somewhere safer.

Depends on the species of tree, the condition it's in, and what kind of work you have to perform after you're tied in. I would'nt be tied in on something that small in a Poplar or White pine if I had to do some long limb-walks. Maybe if I was tied in with the other end of my rope down somewhere safer.

Species, condition and structure; I will tie into smaller wood that is on an upright leader, the more cant to the lever the larger the wood.

Oak and ahs I may tie into 2-3 inch wood if there is little deflection when loading, Salix and Ailanthus are a different story.

If there is not chance of shock loading, and the TIP is just for stability in body positioning, I will go into some pretty small wood.

Rules of Thumb are good for beginners, like tie into the leader, not the lateral. As you progress and gain knowledge you will diverge from them.

Agreed, agreed... Really the only thing around here that we are mainly dealing with is aspen, This tree is really flimsy. ponderosa pine, much better for the size approiate. Blue spruce is also good for support but the leaders are spungy to a point and then SNAP!!!! I have been told dont tie into the tree on any thing amaller than your wrist. That size and bigger will support your weight. Thats all that has been said, Nothing about the type of tree, species of tree, Nothing!! Just getting an idea of what others thought. We also have a 30 min. rule. It should not take you any longer than 30 minutes to trim a tree. I have to call BS on this. I was reading in one of the rooms that no one should be working alone. Found this funny because the forman grabed the corona and disapered all day. Great example!!!!

Sounds like you work with a bunch of hacks. Theres alot more than just the size and species of wood that plays into it. Reread John Paul Sanborn's post.

I'll tie into a 3" diameter piece of red oak that points straight up to the sky, but layed out at a 45* angle, you start imparting different forces on the piece depending how far away from the vertical piece you are, how much taper there is to the wood, etc.

Species, condition and structure;
Rules of Thumb are good for beginners, like tie into the leader, not the lateral. As you progress and gain knowledge you will diverge from them.

I to have this understanding. I know my limits and most of the time the limits of the trees we are climbing. I do have a small amout of commansence and will "feel the tree" I know when enough is enough. Dont take this as an disrespect. None is intended! I am only saying what I have been told and trying to feel out what the real trimmers think. I know that this is a bunch of whooee but this is the type of info we are told. We are to only use the equipment that the company issues and is you deviate from there equipment then your not covered or get workmans comp if there is an accident on your behalf. I bring my own saddle, rope, climbing,cutting, trimming equipment and have an accident with it and get hurt in any way the company will not help you. I have a saddle that the company gave me last year and I am sure by the looks of it back then that this thing has been in sirculation for many years. The climb line thay gave me to use already had nicks in it. Who knows the jistory of this stuff. I am sure there are reasons for it and blah blah blah but its my life in this stuff and I am working around power lines. One would think new stuff for YOU when you are hired on as a grounds man as a bigginer, trimmer, top trimmer You know what the stuff as been threw. If you tear it up you buy your own. just my 2 cents. sorry!
Marc

Sounds like you work with a bunch of hacks. Theres alot more than just the size and species of wood that plays into it. Reread John Paul Sanborn's post.

I'll tie into a 3" diameter piece of red oak that points straight up to the sky, but layed out at a 45* angle, you start imparting different forces on the piece depending how far away from the vertical piece you are, how much taper there is to the wood, etc.

+1

I will often try to get over two limbs if it's 2"-3" limbs. Really, as long as you are around the spar and not just over the limb you are going to be backed up by lower limbs in most situations should your TIP fail.

I was told the "size of your wrist" rule of thumb when I started out too though.

Latest posts

Back