WTH's wrong wit me saw??? 046 issues. (VIDEO)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z50guru

errr..
Reaction score
Today i replaced the PTO crank seal hoping i might get lucky and catch the problem on the first try... Nott'a. I have a seal for the flywheel side, but i need a puller before i can get there. Took the carb off and cleared sawdust from the (barometric holes??) on the bottom plate. Rest of the carb looked ok. Im having to run the low screw nearly 2 turns out to produce what you see in the vid. High side seems to 4 stroke ok. Also the carb has little to zero response to idle screw adjustments. I have not checked the intake boot or impulse line yet. Before i go any further i thought i should request some direction from those with more experience. I'll add the saw had the same symptoms prior to the new seal install. I did select a good socket and made sure the seal set flush with the bearing race. Heres the vid: Thanks all!

[video=youtube_share;5Fm8qq0wnic]http://youtu.be/5Fm8qq0wnic[/video]

Today i replaced the PTO crank seal hoping i might get lucky and catch the problem on the first try... Nott'a. I have a seal for the flywheel side, but i need a puller before i can get there. Took the carb off and cleared sawdust from the (barometric holes??) on the bottom plate. Rest of the carb looked ok. Im having to run the low screw nearly 2 turns out to produce what you see in the vid. High side seems to 4 stroke ok. Also the carb has little to zero response to idle screw adjustments. I have not checked the intake boot or impulse line yet. Before i go any further i thought i should request some direction from those with more experience. I'll add the saw had the same symptoms prior to the new seal install. I did select a good socket and made sure the seal set flush with the bearing race. Heres the vid: Thanks all!

[video=youtube_share;5Fm8qq0wnic]http://youtu.be/5Fm8qq0wnic[/video]

I would check the impluse line and boot before I put the other seal in. I can not belive a seal leak would have that much effect on it without it already being totaled. Also check your AV mounts. A bad one could be letting the rear handle and crankcase change position enough to create a large leak in the impluse line or boot. Tom

problems like that can really test ya,check your hoses and intake boot,i got a 044 and 046 here with buggered intake boots ATM,1 got 12 months on it ,the other has about 7 years............

Check the impulse line and intake boot, also when you replaced the pto side seal, did you check the condition of the pto side crank bearing? The plastic bearing carriers can disintegrate and cause that same issue as well. A quick (but not necessarily foolproof) way to check the pto and flywheel side bearings is too grab the crankshaft on both ends and check for any radial (up/down) play.

I would check the impluse line and boot before I put the other seal in. I can not belive a seal leak would have that much effect on it without it already being totaled. Also check your AV mounts. A bad one could be letting the rear handle and crankcase change position enough to create a large leak in the impluse line or boot. Tom

+1. My bet is a hole in the intake boot

Thanks for the input all. when i replaced the pto side seal, i did notice just a smidget of radial play. I assumed it was tolerable but in hindsight, maybe not so much. Im going strait to the impulse line and intake boot in the morning and hoping i find something there. I have those parts available right away. Thanks again for the help :bowdown: I'll check back to let ya know how things turn out :msp_thumbup:

With the way it is running a pressure/vac test is in order. It may cut the chase of you swapping parts for the time. It is understandable that we seek to access and hope to hit the problem. A diagnosis through the pressure vac test may keep you from spending unnecessary dollars in the future. Hope you get your saw fixed! Have a great day.

The gremlin has been located and snuffed out! Thanks again everyone for posting your suggestions and ideas :clap: Im very grateful for the help here. Turns out it was indeed the intake boot. Along with the sloppy top AV mount, it was allowing the boot to stretch to the point where the crack would rear its ugly symptom. Bravo, as this scenario was nailed by an above member :msp_thumbsup: A quick replacement of the boot and we got a symptom free cutter once again :chainsaw:

Good fix! And my arms get like that after I change the oil in the tractor.:msp_biggrin:

Glad you got it running!! But be careful, you said you noticed some play in the crank bearings. Sounds to me like you need new bearings, there should not be any play at all.

Glad you got it running!! But be careful, you said you noticed some play in the crank bearings. Sounds to me like you need new bearings, there should not be any play at all.

Noted friend :cheers:
I did have a look at the bearing while doing the seal and it "looked" ok enough to proceed, but like you mentioned, zero play is ideal. I'm going to stop by the local Stihl wrench and have a pro check it out just to be safe. Thanks for your input :)

Back