Not sure what to do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested in knowing this guy's e-mail address so I can put him on my "blocked forever" list.

I am ith JJ on this too. We sell a good bit on ebay and have ran into some real winners. I feel the guy is stiffing yu about the saw. He has another junker 044 he is trying to get you to accept a return on. Ask for pictures of the broken parts first. Should be nice and brite clean looking breaks. Any more we mark our part saws when they get shipped. Plus we keep a picture recording the marks and item number just for this purpose.
So ask with JJ's request if you could PM me teh guys info for ebay and I will add him to the blocked list too.
Bob

Sad thing is, the 'bay nearly always sides with the buyer, anymore. Stick to your guns, however. You are in the right if you listed it as 'parts or repair', As long as you did not mislead in the description. 'Parts or Repair' means, to me, "you're going by what you see in the pics".

The guy was hoping to capitalize on a cheap fix.

The clutch cover is peanuts, esp. for a guy that 'has 40 on the shelf'.

Good Luck

I will give you my email address to give to him and I will buy the saw from him for what it is worth too him ( $75):hmm3grin2orange: I have been looking for another one of these to put a 46 p/c on. On your listing did you post that you except returns?

If everything was listed the way you said you shouldn't haves no problems. He can parts it out for equal our more then what he paid for it.

Last edited:
Well he disputed the claim and now my paypal balance shows a negative.
I responded to his claim in the resolution center that the original listing (even though we didn't go through ebay) was for parts/not running. It also said no refunds or exchanges.
I said the saw will start but immedialtley dies or will not stay running. That I had checked everything and could not find what was wrong with it. That alone says it is not in good running order.
My original ebay listing was for $500 and I had to pull that one once I found out the saw was acting up. Why would I sell a running 044 in this condition for $250. This baby was almost mint. Duh!
Of course they will side with him that is just my luck.
Problem is if they take more than a few days to decide. I was supposed to buy my saw Friday. If I spend the money I won't be able to refund his $250.
Anyone know how that works? Does paypal take it right back out of your bank account? The money has already been trasferred to my checking account.

He also claims the clutch cover should be metal. It was plastic when I bought it. I didn't list it as metal. I offered him a new cover.

Really pissing me off!

What a mess. I feel for you man, this guy is being a real ####head. Premeditated? Maybe. Some people will drag you from an auction to sell away from ebay in order to compound the issue in their favor. Seems this guy has done just that, even if it wasn't his original plan. Parts saws are parts saws. I buy one occasionally on the bay, but never expect anything more than that. If its an easy fix, fine. If not, I dont go back to the buyer and say "Hey, this is supposed to be a parts saw... These parts are supposed to be good!". Some people are idiots.

Bushmans not sure if you would be interested but there is a nice looking 362 posted in the classifieds/auctions. May be a little more in your price range

Interested in how this is going to end, unfortunately since you broke ebays rules and sold the item by skirting them, I'm not sure the listing page will be of any use to you with Paypal since those weren't the actual terms the item was purchased under, but I could be wrong. Good luck, I hope it ends well for you.

Do I have it right that there was no ebay transaction? How the heck can he open a dispute in the resolution center (or whatever they call it) on a non-ebay purchase?

Either way, it's a sucky situation. Someone else asked about whether you accepted returns in the listing, if not, the guy has even less of a leg to stand on.

If you stand your ground on having sold a parts saw for not too much $$$, then there's no reason for any photos or proof, right?

It appears the dispute was through paypal and not ebay. Looks like its a similar resolution process, although I'm not sure how they sort out the he said she said side of things with out an agreed upon listing like ebay has.

It appears the dispute was through paypal and not ebay. Looks like its a similar resolution process, although I'm not sure how they sort out the he said she said side of things with out an agreed upon listing like ebay has.

What the OP is going to need to do now is call Paypal and give them details on the transaction.

What the OP is going to need to do now is call Paypal and give them details on the transaction.

Yes, they will be able to see the listing and messages between the buyer and seller. Might help, but then again by pulling the ebay listing to complete the sale they may not.

Yes, they will be able to see the listing and messages between the buyer and seller. Might help, but then again by pulling the ebay listing to complete the sale they may not.

The original listing is still saved in my ebay file along with the one for $500 that I pulled because the saw wasn't running right. I also have the messages he sent me that he was interested in and those are for the ebay add.

If paypal can access the ebay files they will clearly see it was listed as parts/nonrunning and also no returns. If they just go by the invoice that I sent him it simply says 044/046 chainsaw.
It does not state any conditions. He said she said.
My issue is he has taken apart the saw, he probably screwed up the crank threads and broke the keyway with his impact gun. I have no way of knowing what he has done too my saw. It might take several hundred dollars to repair it now.

True but at least they will see how the ball got rolling. Also they will see that the listing was for parts/nonrunning so they will know that guy had a head start at what he was getting into.

It sounds to me like he was trying to get a deal in a saw that he thought was an easy fix. I wouldn't offer a penny in return to him especially since he filed a complaint with paypal. I don't know how he can actually do that with it not being through ebay. I hope it works out to you and I also would like his email for future reference to make sure I don't sell him a saw.

True but at least they will see how the ball got rolling. Also they will see that the listing was for parts/nonrunning so they will know that guy had a head start at what he was getting into.

They will also see where I told him I knew nothing of how ebay works and he said to either drop my buy it now to $250 or send him an invoice. I asked what was easier he replied it was better to send him an invoice. I told him I didn't know how and he replied he would walk me through it.
They will clearly see that it wasn't me who was trying to work around ebay.

They will see it as both of you trying to cheat e-bay, and you have/they have the message trail to prove it, they are on top of it and not stupid!!

They pretty much side with the buyer, but in both of your cases, they might throw both of you all out of the garden!!!!!

Ebay also owns Paypal, so I'm sure sharing information between the two will not be a problem. I'm just not sure they will care about the information on the page since the listing was pulled.

Wow what a cluster f***. Best of luck bushman. Sounds like a great opportunity for a Michigan gtg to help you with those tops!!! I have a 272xp that just needs av mounts put on if you need a loaned and would be happy to come to Charlotte and lend a hand with those tops.

They will see it as both of you trying to cheat e-bay, and you have/they have the message trail to prove it, they are on top of it and not stupid!!

They pretty much side with the buyer, but in both of your cases, they might throw both of you all out of the garden!!!!!

That is true. I accept that. I had no clue what I was doing. He asked me to send an invoice through paypal and I thought paypal and ebay were basically the same thing. He stated he had been selling like this for 15 years and was a 100% buyer. I trusted him. My ignorance does not clear me of guilt however and if they want to kick me off for that than I accept it. I will most likley never try to sell on there again. First and last.

That is true. I accept that. I had no clue what I was doing. He asked me to send an invoice through paypal and I thought paypal and ebay were basically the same thing. He stated he had been selling like this for 15 years and was a 100% buyer. I trusted him. My ignorance does not clear me of guilt however and if they want to kick me off for that than I accept it. I will most likley never try to sell on there again. First and last.

PayPal is the enforcer in most cases. Send them everything with good explanations. Like Fish said, they are not stupid... it will not help that you went around Ebay for an eBay claim, Paypal doesn't care, they just want there cut. If possible stay away from eBay and work the PayPal angle, it will be more favorable as that is where the transaction occurred.

And as a last resort, someone here has an 044 case with crank they will give away for the asking... easy fix for a beginning saw fixer. The buyer must not be a beginner either, just a belly achier!

Latest posts

Back