Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberdonkey_059

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What are the chances we ever see the Husqvarna X-Cut chain come out in Skip-tooth? I have come to really like the standard X-Cut chain and was kind of bummed when I just went to order some new Skip tooth chain and realized that they don't make an X-Cut skip tooth version.

Probably zero, because it is a limited market, and the marketing folks target certain groups. Even though, it would be a relatively easy thing to do: change the sequence, using the same components, it requires different SKU's, marketing, minimum projected sales, etc.

Point of note: 'Full House' sequence usually refers to chains with no spaces between cutters. 'Standard' or 'Full Complement' / 'Full Comp' is what most people normally run.

Chain Sequence 2.png
We did have a thread, on another forum, where a couple of members bought a couple of these loops, when they first came out; disassembled them; then reassembled them into a Full House loop; just for interest (it was a long winter). Some of those guys also participate here, and might chime in on that experience: @wde_1978 @jmester @fordf150

Philbert

Probably zero, because it is a limited market, and the marketing folks target certain groups. Even though, it would be a relatively easy thing to do: change the sequence, using the same components, it requires different SKU's, marketing, etc.

Point of note: 'Full House' sequence usually refers to chains with no spaces between cutters. 'Standard' or 'Full Complement' / 'Full Comp' is what most people normally run.

View attachment 919940
We did have a thread, on another forum, where a couple of members bought a couple of these loops, when they first came out; disassembled them; then reassembled them into a Full House loop; just for interest (it was a long winter). Some of those guys also participate here, and might chime in on that experience: @wilhelm @jmester @fordf150

Philbert

You are correct and editing my orgional post. I didnt mean full house but standard X-Cut as thats their only offering currently. Im honestly surprised though with the new 592xp and 585 that a skip tooth wouldnt be offered as those seem like good candidates for that market.

You are correct and editing my orgional post. I didnt mean full house but standard X-Cut as thats their only offering currently. Im honestly surprised though with the new 592xp and 585 that a skip tooth wouldnt be offered as those seem like good candidates for that market.
No real reason skip unless you have a really long bar for the power, and or your worried about clearing the cut. I have a few skip chains and can't say they make enough of a difference clearing out on a 36" to make it noticeable over standard chain. Only nice thing I see in it is it's half the cutters to sharpen when The chain dulls. Just one opinion.

No real reason skip unless you have a really long bar for the power, and or your worried about clearing the cut. I have a few skip chains and can't say they make enough of a difference clearing out on a 36" to make it noticeable over standard chain. Only nice thing I see in it is it's half the cutters to sharpen when The chain dulls. Just one opinion.

While I agree with you for the most part, I have a 28" bar on a 365 special and run skip tooth on that set-up because of bar length/power. It not that saws primary bar and I don't cut enough wood that big to justify buying a bigger saw. This set up is my occasional use rig for big stuff while the 20 and 24" get much more use and the 550xp does the majority of my work.

While I agree with you for the most part, I have a 28" bar on a 365 special and run skip tooth on that set-up because of bar length/power. It not that saws primary bar and I don't cut enough wood that big to justify buying a bigger saw. This set up is my occasional use rig for big stuff while the 20 and 24" get much more use and the 550xp does the majority of my work.
Yeah pretty much what I said, one of its advantages when you've gotten close to the upper bar limit for the power of the saw.

Probably zero, because it is a limited market, and the marketing folks target certain groups. Even though, it would be a relatively easy thing to do: change the sequence, using the same components, it requires different SKU's, marketing, minimum projected sales, etc.

View attachment 919940
We did have a thread, on another forum, where a couple of members bought a couple of these loops, when they first came out; disassembled them; then reassembled them into a Full House loop; just for interest (it was a long winter). Some of those guys also participate here, and might chime in on that experience: @wde_1978 @jmester @fordf150

Philbert
So X-cut Husqvarna is better the a normal/standard .325 chain?
It's for a Makita EA6100P ,I also opened a topic. Becausd I forgot to do quite a few things today. Am new to chainsaws 🙄😁 but am stubborn and will learn fron my mistakes or others made/make!
Thank you

So X-cut Husqvarna is better the a normal/standard .325 chain?
It's for a Makita EA6100P ,I also opened a topic. Becausd I forgot to do quite a few things today. Am new to chainsaws 🙄😁 but am stubborn and will learn fron my mistakes or others made/make!
Thank you
Not to avoid the question, but terms like 'best', 'better', etc., are often relative to the user, the saw(s), the type of cutting, etc. I usually encourage curious (and stubborn) guys to try different chains side-by-side, with their saws, in their cutting situations, and see what works 'best' for them. It is a cheap investment to buy an extra chain or 2, and you will still use them all up, even if you like one best. Then, start messing around with different sharpening angles! Note that the factory ground angles on some newer chains are harder for individuals to duplicate, so comparing the chains over multiple sharpenings is also important.

You might find that you like one chain/angles combination for felling, a different one for limbing, a third for bucking, and a fourth for stumping. Also different ones for hardwoods vs softwoods.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back