X27 test on some big rounds.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cafo1.618

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
today i will be splitting some big rounds with the fiskars.
I have not split anything this big yet and its oak:rock:

Oh yea its a 18x8 trailer for size ref.

28-30 inch rounds, should be a good test. I can work large locust and hackberry with good results, elm not so much. I never get my hands on that size of oak. Fiskars has changed the way i split wood for the better, its easier.

28-30 inch rounds, should be a good test. I can work large locust and hackberry with good results, elm not so much. I never get my hands on that size of oak. Fiskars has changed the way i split wood for the better, its easier.
I have more oak then i could use haha but no locust. .. And yea i figure this will really show what the X27 can do

Yes, shorter rounds make a huge difference. I'm a fan of 8 pound mauls and am skeptical on the performance of the x27. I would like to try one without buying one first as a test. I'm interested in an honest view in it's perfomance.

:msp_rolleyes:

I'm certain the 80%+ of the posters here who like them and use them either exclusively or mostly are all paid endorsements from Fiskars.

The half dead oak the OP is splitting is something I'm familiar with so his assessment will be benificial to me. Sometimes people write about splitting wood that doesnt even grow in my area. I've been swinging mauls for 40 years and enjoy it although it is starting to make my joints ache some now. I have read what people have said about the x27 and am interested in what the OP says about it.

I'm certain the 80%+ of the posters here who like them and use them either exclusively or mostly are all paid endorsements from Fiskars.

I get paid to use the Fiskar products every day when I put split chucks in my fire place :laugh:

JMO

Just got one for Christmas. I will not ever go back to the maul and sledge. I have been splitting big rounds of ash for a week now. It has made quick work of it.

*This has been an unpaid testimonal of the Fiskar X27

Looks like Red Oak from the picture. My experience with that same size has been very good. The Fiskars x27 loves straight grain red oak that pops apart. Much less love for the Hickory or even Beech that wants to be "torn" apart.

I get my endorsements from the firewood buyers just before they load up a cord. Saves time converting from Kroners to greenbacks.

Yes, shorter rounds make a huge difference. I'm a fan of 8 pound mauls and am skeptical on the performance of the x27. I would like to try one without buying one first as a test. I'm interested in an honest view in it's perfomance.

Just go to amazon and buy the x27. You will not regret it. Just swinging the lesser weight and not wearing you out is a reason to buy it. The reviews are no B.S.

I keep a maul around for the "weird" stuff (sycamore, etc.) - haven't touched it in 6 months. And my back is happier for it. The occasional crotchy piece I can't get through goes onto the fire-pit pile for summer fun.

I've heard a lot of people doubting it and sticking with their mauls. Fine. But I've only ever seen one or two guys trying the Fiskars and saying "nope, I'm going back to the maul."

Just split two face cords this morning with it: View attachment 271783

Camera angle is a little off - that pile is 4 FCs long, so today's work was the nearer half). It was an even mix of maple, ash, and cherry. For the maple, I was slabbing off big chunks in a single hit - breaking down a 20" or so round into 6-8 pieces in about 30 seconds (I need to get me a tire to split in). The cherry and ash took 2-3 hits a lot of the time - this cherry is all twisted for some reason. But I feel great - all of my fatigue was from moving the rounds around, not from splitting itself.

No trouble with bigger rounds either. You just work your way around. I have some sycamore giving me fits but I can't get through that with my maul, either. Just bounces off. Saving it for the fire pit.

Fiskars hasn't paid me a dime. If I ever heard they were going out of business, I'd buy five more of these darned things just to make sure I'd always have one for the rest of my life.

I too have always wanted to try one but I do the majority of my splitting with hydraulics. This year I have pounded out about a cord already with a maul. I wouldn't say it's super hard work but easier is always better in my book (well unless it's...nevermind)

$50 is 1/3 of the way to buying Momma a new MS170. She got to handle one in the dealership the other day as I was browsing for my new saw. She says, " Oh this isn't bad at all could run this one".
Sucker....I think to myself. She's off and running! That would make a perfect little back up/deer camp/her saw. :msp_wink:

i love mine, i usually cut my wood 16". the one i have is an older one that was still made in finland, before the 36" handle was available. amazon has the x27 on sale for $40, so i ordered one yesterday. notice the orange paint is wearing off of this one. this one has split a lot of wood.

I tried out my brothers X27 on some 22" long rounds of oak after hearing all the hooplah on AS about Fiskars. Fiskars X7 and X27 immediately went on my Christmas list. I used the X7 to make a little kindling sitting in front of the fire this morning.:msp_thumbup: To me, a Fiskars axe in ones lineup is no different than a professional mechanic with a whole drawer of different kinds of pliers, some get used more than others, but they all have their place. $40 for a quality axe with a lifetime warranty is a good deal in my book...

OBTW, what are you too old for...?:D

Latest posts

Back