X27 test on some big rounds.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swore by a mega mual for years... i liked the X27 so much, that i bought them all.

40CE831A-095D-4169-BD39-D49A4718FE55-378-000003EFF93BB0B5.jpg

Some 28-32" pin oak rounds. It works better if you work your way around it than for trying to go for the kill. Every now and then I'll throw a wedge in the cracks to help elevated a section for the bigger rounds. All these rounds were 20-22" long.

BA0AFD3C-AC3F-48B4-88AB-69B3D458565D-2205-0000043B0A02895F.jpg

9768904D-27BE-46C6-9D7A-BEEEFB57CCF4-2205-0000043AF1A73C8D.jpg

I cant see how anyone that cuts firewood would hesitate to buy a x27. For 40 bucks how could you go wrong. Before the x27 I bought a 6 lb maul for 35 bucks and it was horrable. Only used for a sledge now. Not having enough money should be the only reason no to get it:rock:

14-16 long its not gonna be easy but i bet i can bust em up.

Yes you probably can. As a "test" it is interesting, as a standard practice? There are far better tools with wich to "halve" them and then go to the Fiskars.

Just came off my wood pile tackling rounds of B. Locust that size. Wedge/sledge to halve then Fiskars mostly.

Harry K

I cant see how anyone that cuts firewood would hesitate to buy a x27. For 40 bucks how could you go wrong. Before the x27 I bought a 6 lb maul for 35 bucks and it was horrable. Only used for a sledge now. Not having enough money should be the only reason no to get it:rock:

Or if they have a splitter.:msp_biggrin:

Yes, shorter rounds make a huge difference. I'm a fan of 8 pound mauls and am skeptical on the performance of the x27. I would like to try one without buying one first as a test. I'm interested in an honest view in it's perfomance.

I was of the same opinion until, after 30 some years of manual splitting, I bought one. First few splits sold me totally. I kept repeating "this thing can NOT be doing what I am seeing".

Harry K

I swore by a mega mual for years... i liked the X27 so much, that i bought them all.

40CE831A-095D-4169-BD39-D49A4718FE55-378-000003EFF93BB0B5.jpg

Some 28-32" pin oak rounds. It works better if you work your way around it than for trying to go for the kill. Every now and then I'll throw a wedge in the cracks to help elevated a section for the bigger rounds. All these rounds were 20-22" long.

I got all those too, great tools, looks like you're missing the one I haven't got yet either, the 7856 X11. I've used one and it is really a handy tool also, I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on one.:)

I think its already been mentioned but bigger rounds work best if you slab around the outside before you try to half/quarter them. Once you get your fiskars swing down it is possible to quarter big rounds without knocking the outside off first. Hail Fiskars! Where do I sign up for the endorsement deal?

ORDERED MINE BE HERE TUESDAY,4 TRUCKLOADS ON THE GROUND WAITING AND SHAKING!!!!! CANT WAIT:clap:

Have three truckloads to split, did about half of it this afternoon and this morning. Used the X25 on a high splitting block, old pine stump actually. Dont know about you guys, but i got my endorsement check yesterday. Fiskars other garden hand tools are awesome also, loppers, pruners, etc., heck they even make a decent plain ole scissors.

Love my x25, really want to pick up the 27 as well. I don't even know where my maul is at anymore. If it wont split w the 25 I either toss it whole into the OWB, or noodle it. I haven't got enough ambition to sit and beat on a gnarly piece of wood with a maul, that's for the birds.

Anyone who refuses to use a fiskars just has too hard of a head to see how well they really work.

By far one of the best hand tools ive ever owned.

How long doe's it take someone to spend thousands of dollars? It must have been said a million times on here how nice a fiskers is. All by firewood guy's. This is a $40 tool, everyone swears buy it, and still people need more? It must be hell to sell a car nowah days.

Some people don't like change. I'm sure there are a few out there that can swing their 30yr old maul just as well as you and I can swing our fancy splitting axes. I fine with people resisting them, better odds of them not being sold out.

Well then, shame on you for not haven that taken care of already.

Yes, I Did!

I ordered one earlier today because I have been reading about them for some time now. I do hope it splits BETTER than my mauls because I am ALWAYS looking for a good tool that will help me do my work. Now I'll have to hunt up some wood to split because I am all caught up with what I have cut.

It was to dark for pictures so ill take so tomorrow but i got my half of the rounds split and it was easier than i expected.
Half of those were my brothers rounds and he split yesterday too and said it wS easy.

Im sure an 8lb maul would work great but the 4lb X27 is easier and more contrable for me.

If there are any local guys here, I'll make them a deal on the X25. I don't use a splitting block and therefore use my 27 mostly.. I don't think shipping it would be cost effective.

Latest posts

Back