X27 test on some big rounds.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my x27 this afternoon and was hunting up some wood to try it out on. The one neighbor had some near dead ash that was getting super hard like oak. I worked on some 1.5-2ft rounds that had knots in them. The stuff was splitting like a non-stringy tough oak. The first thing I noticed was it's lack of weight, then, how good it feels in my hands. Very nice. I then started slabbing off the outer parts of the rounds. I was surprised at how much splitting action I was getting out of a lighter tool. One of the center pieces was knotted too much for the x27 but I don't think my maul could have done any better. I am pleasantly surprised with the tool and am glad I bought it. Next time I get a batch of wood, I'll do a head to head test of the x27 against my best 8lb maul. It seems the x27 might have a good shot at the title.

I've had 40 years of injury free maul swinging and don't want to start now. I did take a flying splitting wedge into the mouth when I was young though. :(

Just remember the Fiskars ax is different from a maul.

And I have the gashed boots to prove it. And we've had at least one member end up with stitches.

Now I have the older, shorter "Super Splitter" (equivalent to X25) ... their propensity to try and bite you is far more then a traditional maul. The calls by many for the X27 was because they feared how short Super Splitter was when it came wild off a piece that split funny.

In addition to preserving the sharp edge, splitting on at least a short one (I use a 4" high block) is partly to help avoid the ax swinging to close to your foot or shins. Splitting overhead instead of a maul swing helps tremendously too.

I do sometimes split in place when I have to in the woods, but no where close to the frequency I used to split on the ground when I used a maul.

Once you learn how to swing it and what to watch for you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Just remember the Fiskars ax is different from a maul.

And I have the gashed boots to prove it. And we've had at least one member end up with stitches.

Once you learn how to swing it and what to watch for you'll be fine.

Hmmm. Well, that's one way to learn......

Latest posts

Back