XL-12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I put fresh gas in tank that was dry and tried to crank it and would not start. The spark plug is good. It has compression but no start. I thought there was gas filter on a hose in the tank but I can't it fishing for the hose/filter. Any advice is appreciated.

I have the same saw, but you are over a thousand miles away. It has a great muffler, is really loud, and runs strong as an ox. Mine is blue all over. I usually take it to GTG meetings for display and discussion. I believe it's about 50 years old. Nice collector's item, and that is why I still own it.

Well, I put fresh gas in tank that was dry and tried to crank it and would not start. The spark plug is good. It has compression but no start. I thought there was gas filter on a hose in the tank but I can't it fishing for the hose/filter. Any advice is appreciated.
A couple spoons full of regular fuel mix down the sparkplug hole, reinstall the plug and with the switch on a couple fast pulls over the saw should start for a few seconds. Doesn`t matter if the tank has fuel in it or even if there is a fuel line attache d to the carb. That is what I do to every old saw that comes my way and they number into the hundreds.

Early XL 12's didn't have a line with a filter on it in the tank. They had a felt pickup on the drive side of the tank. I'm not sure what you have there but from the pic where your line is I think that one may suppose to have the line and filter.

The oil lines are easy, they are just 1/8" copper tubing with compression nuts and ferrules. It is not uncommon for those to break.

Early XL 12's didn't have a line with a filter on it in the tank. They had a felt pickup on the drive side of the tank. I'm not sure what you have there but from the pic where your line is I think that one may suppose to have the line and filter.

The oil lines are easy, they are just 1/8" copper tubing with compression nuts and ferrules. It is not uncommon for those to break.
Ya the oil tubing is leaking.

Back