xl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evo123

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
XL Clutch

Should there be any fiber or other material on the clutch assembly of my Homelite XL or is it metal on metal against the drum? I believe it is one of the mini saws.....UT#10655,clutch#A70351A......3 shoe

Last edited:
Depends on exactly what type of clutch it is but it should be a blackish grey layer of ceramic material on the clutch shoe that contacts the drum.

Does it have the "S" clutch or does it have a 3 shoe?

Most of the 3 shoe clutches have a lining on them. I say Most because I just got a brand new 3 shoe for my SEZ and there is no lining. Seems strange to me but its just shiny metal.

Im pretty sure all of the "S" type are metal on metal.

Im no expert, but there is such a thing called sintered metal. Its sometimes used in clutches. All I know is its got something to do with it being powdered at one time.

RaisedByWolves said:
Does it have the "S" clutch or does it have a 3 shoe?

Most of the 3 shoe clutches have a lining on them. I say Most because I just got a brand new 3 shoe for my SEZ and there is no lining. Seems strange to me but its just shiny metal.

Im pretty sure all of the "S" type are metal on metal.

There is something mixed into the alloy of the metal clutch shoes on those clutches to make it grip a little bit. I wonder what it is mixed in?

It is a 3 shoe type,when I took it apart it had some grooves wore in it but I could see no type of other material on it.I sanded it back down to smooth again.

XL Clutch

What is the best way to remove clutch assembly......very tight.

The only homelites that I have seen with a lined clutch are: 360 & 925 with the 3 shoe clutch. I am sure there are more.

I know the SXL/XL-12, SEZ, & little Xl/XL2 were not lined.

clutch should be a left hand thread. There are many post here on the rope method for holding the motor tight. Works very well for me. USe a spanner wrench to remove it (if it has 2 or 3 holes in it) Be carefull & use the right tool.

Latest posts

Back