Xmas tree on a telephone pole

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace Tree

Impossible Access
Reaction score
The wife called me to remove this 55 ft. pine. By the time I got there to do the job she'd gone south for the winter. The husband said "I love that tree. Just take the dead stuff off". He'd already ladder trimmed up about 20 ft. This is what was left. He was happy as can be. Thought it looked great. Go figure. My partner wanted directions to the property to do some additional work. I told him just look for a Christmas tree on top of a telephone pole. He found it.
Phil
http://users.adelphia.net/~plsmallwood/pinetree.jpg

I guess that trimming style isn't exclusive to NC. like I thought...

Xmass tree

I had one like it IL. in front of my House. I went ahead and put Lights on it 1 year. It made the Paper you could see it from a Half Mile away. Looked like it was on the roof. Witf and I put 1400 lights up there

I guess that trimming style isn't exclusive to NC. like I thought...

He is right I do tons of trees like that here in NC. Infact that is about half of my business just got another job tonight to do just that. Oh and by the way don't do any damage to my lawn. So them I add some dollars to the job. Don't tell them that is why it is more expensive but I don't usually rig those really little branches. Just stupid, I never plan to make any dents but sometimes it happens but when the homeowner says don't mess up the lawn at all you have to then take extra precautions so you rig everything you can't ensure how it will drop. Am I wrong in how I do this?
Jared

He is right I do tons of trees like that here in NC. Infact that is about half of my business just got another job tonight to do just that. Oh and by the way don't do any damage to my lawn. So them I add some dollars to the job. Don't tell them that is why it is more expensive but I don't usually rig those really little branches. Just stupid, I never plan to make any dents but sometimes it happens but when the homeowner says don't mess up the lawn at all you have to then take extra precautions so you rig everything you can't ensure how it will drop. Am I wrong in how I do this?
Jared

Your doing what the customer asks.
Doing it in a matter, that pretty well ensures not to damage the lawn.
Passing the extra cost to the customer?

Question, will you spike a job like this??

cold temps and a stiff breeze would snap that tree in the middle 8/10 times. if that tree were a little thicker it might not be a problem but you couldnt pay me to have my house next to it.

Understand.

Ya they look cool...but a bit top heavy for me...i don't think i would want it either next to my home.

My competitor just finished trimming what used to be a beautiful Live Oak. Took all the lower limbs off, then finished by Lion Tailing every remaining limb. Around back they timmed 2 Laurell Oaks . Cutting 4 or 5 ( 12 inch ) dia. limbs back to the first latterals ( about 10-15 ft. from the main trunk ) Trees are natures beauty, to preserve them ( don't call my competitor ) . They could easily be sued ( with arborist determination & testimony ). The only tree in front of this guys $350.000 home. PRICELESS !!!!

i just realized the thread starter is from NE Ohio, my in-laws are from Akron. there must be a trend up there too....
anyway, a few years back my father in law asked me to "limb up" a big white pine that site about 15 feet from the house. the tree wasnt that tall, maybe 35 ft, but it was a thick 32". limbing up to him meant making it look like the christmas tree on a pole/umbrella/globosa pine grafted on a standard, type of thing.

needless to say, i didnt limb it up. i limbed it down, straight to the ground.

the mother in law was happy and thats more important than what the father in law wants.

Back