Ya ever have one of those days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc_man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Started out good all excited to go cutting. Get out ther start the 041 start cuttng off the limbs of a.hickory i already nocked down. Pinch the darn saw.
37b0098eb78e8e74926a12c33f84b338.jpg

Then forgot how heavy hickory is had to cut it n 6' section to be able to pull out of brush with atv to cut up that took way longer then should have. Start loading little wagon with wood. Move ten feet and here pop. dam tire. I had just fixed other tire with new tube yesterday so ready for today. Luckly i had the old wagon still in bush with bearings out of it. Made that work. Then quit after that tree before anythng else went wrong.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I don't know what it is about weight loaded limbs but they will cause you havoc makes ya remember cut up on the limb then down !!! we all do it. Hickory is a a days work in it self !! Nice tree !!

I don't know what it is about weight loaded limbs but they will cause you havoc makes ya remember cut up on the limb then down !!! we all do it. Hickory is a a days work in it self !! Nice tree !!
The darn limb looked like it had upwards pressure ao i went couple inches on top the undercut and the darn thing had side presure qhich got it. My two backup saws were still in the truck so i got it out with a wedge from bottom or limb. And jumping like an idiot on the limb to get it free while the boy held the saw so wouldnt drop.

All I can think about is pulled pork, love me some hickory. It is some heavy stuff and isn't much lighter after seasoning though, kind of a bear to move around.

All I can think about is pulled pork, love me some hickory. It is some heavy stuff and isn't much lighter after seasoning though, kind of a bear to move around.
Ummm pulled pork.

Yes that darn stuff is heavy as heck. Might noodle the big rounds in half so i dont blow a nut.

Not sure if it's the right way but, I normally nip in from the top enough to pop in a wedge. Then cut from the bottom on limbs loaded up like that. By the time the two cuts meet th pressure from the wedge pushes the limb out of the way as it falls and keeps the bar from getting pinched

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Hey there Merc Man. That's some really nice looking shag bark hickory you got there. Just remember that time, patience, and perseverance accomplishes all things! After many years of cutting 40+ ricks of firewood per year, I finally realized that no matter how much experience you have, you will, eventually, stick a saw in a pinch. So, I always take two saws into the woods with me! Of course there was that one day when I had to walk over to where my Dad was cutting and ask him to bring his saw and cut BOTH of my saws out of a log! Yes, I was embarrassed, but Dad got a good laugh out of it!!!

Hey there Merc Man. That's some really nice looking shag bark hickory you got there. Just remember that time, patience, and perseverance accomplishes all things! After many years of cutting 40+ ricks of firewood per year, I finally realized that no matter how much experience you have, you will, eventually, stick a saw in a pinch. So, I always take two saws into the woods with me! Of course there was that one day when I had to walk over to where my Dad was cutting and ask him to bring his saw and cut BOTH of my saws out of a log! Yes, I was embarrassed, but Dad got a good laugh out of it!!!
Yes all that work will be woth it in a couple years when i can sit inside and enjoy the heat. Well acually a full night sleep. I normally fill the stove with hickory at night and good till morning unless its real cold then might have to get up once.

my neighbor and i have cut together for years,,, love the guy like a brother,, we was cutting some big hickorys one day,,, all fell the right way,, got the last one and no matter which way it fell it would be good except for just 1 single direction right towards a dumpster,,, we cut it and of all the dang places for it to drop it spun on the stump and flattened that dumpster,, nothing for it to hit in ANY direction the dang thing had to spin and flatten the dumpster,, lucky the guy had insurance on the dumpster

I usually knock off early when the day starts like that. It's only firewood it'll be there tomorrow.... Hickory will let you know how good a job you do sharpening a chain! Really makes some heat love that stuff.

Latest posts

Back