ya ever throw your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

could you-would you-have you-thrown your saw?

• Total voters
Not me, not yet, but I saw a guy turn a little s25da into a projectile once. Wouldn't start, so it had a close encounter with a circa 20'' spruce.

Somebody said ''try it now Joe''. Joe goes over and put his foot on it ( because it no longer had a handle ) and two pulls...vroooom.

We were about 3/4 of a mile in the woods on foot, twitching logs with a horse. We all laughed all the way to the truck.:cheers:

Back when I wore a younger mans clothes I had a bit of a temper, took a lot to get it to the point that I would purposely damage anything. Dad and I were clearing a high tension power line in advance of the erection crew. Were under the gun a bit as it had rained for 4 days in a row. His 1100 was plugging the carb up solid 2-3 times a day, my 1450 was running without a hitch but I was the mechanic and had to keep stopping and cleaning his carb, this was happening every day we used his saw and I guess it got to me when the carb plugged for the 4 th time this day. We were on a hilltop about 200' above a swamp, well that 1100 went airborne and disppeared into the mud and moss upon landing.
Pioneerguy600

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I've been laughing out loud at some of y'all's posts on describing your saw tossing...just strikes me funny I guess. No, I've never tossed any of my saws. I've gotten upset at my 970 for being hard starting...but I now know why...air intake boot was stopping the choke from properly closing.

Kevin

That has nothing to do with it. I don't get mad at my computer and throw the monitor or smash the keyboard, just because I can't get a class to compile or can't get a program to run. That's just a complete lack of self control. In no way am I suggesting I always exercise perfect self control, but throwing or tearing up stuff is pretty ridiculous IMHO.

If it where complete lack of self control, the whole mountain would be a blaze, totaled skidders with all the wheels broke off, saws smushed by closing undercuts . . . Not tossing a saw into the brush. . .

You completely fail to understand what I was trying to say. Strap your PC to you and hike through the mountains while trying to deal with its issues, I bet you would feel alittle more inclined to take physical action. . Also I never mentioned breaking anything from mistreating it. Things break all the time without mistreatment, take a ball type U joint for a skidder, Its a ball joint and it costs more than a new ms460.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like something that should be offered at the chainsaw GTGs. You can have the chainsaw cuss out followed by the chainsaw toss. Prizes for best blue streak and farthest toss. Folks could build a tossin’ saw and see how far you can hurl it and still have it run and cut wood. Be just like a good punkin chunkin.

Now I like this idea. Just make sure it's not running. Use a Wildthing that becomes the prize - to be passed on to the winner at the next GTG.
+1

Threw a Mac SP125C once, ####### thing kept kicking and yanking the starter out of my hand...hard!! After the 10th time or so, I lobbed it 15 feet across the snow. After I calmed downed, I put it in the back of my truck. Found that it had a broken fuel line and impulse line. Saw was trying to tell me something was wrong. All I broke in that discus event was the little A/F bracket on the carby. I recall that saw would kick if the decomp was out or if it flooded. Very touchy saw. But very strong.

I have since traded that saw away to a member who has gotten good use out of it. I want it back.

Chris B.

Let me start by saying I am very cool, calm, and collected. However....there was this one time...

I used to have an old mac 10-10. I swear I spent 4 times more time working on this piece of crap boat anchor than actually cutting with it. It was running ok, but i had been having a lot of trouble with it at the time. Hit something in a sycamore log with a brand new 24" chisel chain. I jacked that thing into next week, and broke the rear handle. Dumped it for parts the same day and never looked back.

I work on a lot of trash saws and equipment and never come close to that since. It is kind of funny to see how few admit to chuckin saws, I'll bet more do it than admit to it.

Let me start by saying I am very cool, calm, and collected. However....there was this one time...

I used to have an old mac 10-10. I swear I spent 4 times more time working on this piece of crap boat anchor than actually cutting with it. It was running ok, but i had been having a lot of trouble with it at the time. Hit something in a sycamore log with a brand new 24" chisel chain. I jacked that thing into next week, and broke the rear handle. Dumped it for parts the same day and never looked back.

I work on a lot of trash saws and equipment and never come close to that since. It is kind of funny to see how few admit to chuckin saws, I'll bet more do it than admit to it.

yep!

:hmm3grin2orange:

Sounds like something that should be offered at the chainsaw GTGs. You can have the chainsaw cuss out followed by the chainsaw toss. Prizes for best blue streak and farthest toss. Folks could build a tossin’ saw and see how far you can hurl it and still have it run and cut wood. Be just like a good punkin chunkin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nomeW2FDDtM&feature=related

We have discussed about a hardhat throwing contest at the PNW gtg. I think throwing a hardhat in anger is just as serious, if not more, than throwing a saw. There's degrees of anger out there.

Today, I was relating having a close call a couple years ago to another crew.
I had told the loader guy that I would be working beneath the landing. He was clearing slash and logs out of the way. Pretty soon, he started lobbing chunks of logs and other stuff that could kill or maim over the side. I had to take cover behind a tree and stay there a while. Then head back up but with trees on the route to dive behind if I needed to.

According to the guys on today's crew, that was a hat throwing AT and yelling offense. I did not have a saw to THROW AT THE LOADER OPERATOR.

No way, right arm would be bagged from like pulling the rope 50 or so times.
The left arm is now numb from holding the saw down.
Totally our of breath, no way I could throw a chainsaw.
Much easier to reach for a cold barley pop and ponder the problem :laugh:

I tossed the 288 yesterday as I noticed a burning sensation in my groin area and my neck n back. I cut into a huge wasp nest , my 100 yard dash is pretty good I must say. The saw is fine by the way.

usually my arm is hurting too bad at that point to throw it....but I was thissss close to taking a double barrel shotgun to one the other day....I may still.

Make sure ya take pictures or it didn't happen. Never seen a saw with a load of buck shot through it.

Bet that :censored::censored: oiler works now!

:dizzy::dizzy:

:givebeer:

Hell yes I have thrown a few saws, I aint gonna lie, and it felt gooood.

That being said, it was after much trouble and time spent messing around with them in the timber (happened twice)

034- really regretted that one, but it had more love than it deserved that day.

372xp- sum##### wanted to die in the cut EVERY time. (throwing it was what fixed it!!!) :dizzy:

Mac 610- Not only did I bounce it off the shop floor a dozen times, then I grabbed the 8 pound sledgehammer off the service truck and BEAT THAT PILE OF JUNK into thousands of small, sharp pieces of metal and plastic. I still revere that memory as I hated that saw so.

Nope.....

It usually takes human involvement to get me that fired up. I have tossed humans and even an anvil once. However, I used to have a partner in my sawmill business and he was a thrower, pounder and abuser of any kind of machinery that did not cooperate. He was sure that he could "teach" an inanimate object to behave better.......he was a real joy to have around with tractors, skidders and various mill equipment and though he could "teach" and exact punishment he couldn't change a spark plug. So repairs were for me to do. I had to LOL when I read freehand, bullseye, and gorving's take on Mac 10-10. My partner bought one brand new about the same time I bought my first 49SP new. He laughed because I paid $249.95 and he paid $179.95 for the mac. Less than 30 days from new I watched as he grabbed it (the 10-10) by the bar and pounded it off a rock maple until all he had was the bar with a tiny bit of yellow attached and the snow all around the tree was littered with small yellow debris. He was sweating and it was about zero out. It still had the magic marker "price tag" written on the side of the saw $179.95 LOLOLOL!!! The next day he went out and bought a brand new 70E....he did not pound trees with that!!! Nor did he have to.... but I have been without a partner for 21 yrs...and my name is Robin and I don't throw, pound, spindle or mutilate saws if they don't work properly cause it ultimately is probably my own fault or some other oversight on my part.:cheers:

I am not sure why, since I have been in the fixing things business my whole life, but chainsaws, weed eaters, and lawnmowers just frustrate me. There is a pos craftsman weed whacker in my burn pile as we speak. I have worked on multi million dollar pieces of equipment and a 100 dollar weed whacker boiled me over...

My story is similar to Cantdog's...except that I was the guy holding the saw by the bar and beating a tree with it. For what it's worth, I did toss what was left into the woods.

Some people get mad and break stuff.

Some people break stuff, then get mad and post about it. To each their own.

Back