Ya gotta hear this one!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Friend of mine has a Woodmaster 4400 and this is his story. I was rolling after he told me.
His 11 yr old son called him and offered to plow the driveway and to let him know the boiler's low water light was on. He asked if he wanted him to fill the boiler up. (he's not your average 11yr old, big and very mature for his age, rides circles around me on sport quads...great kid). So my friend told him sure go ahead on fill the boiler up w/ water. 2 hours later my friend gets a call from his wife telling him not to be mad but thinks their son put the water in the wrong place (he uses a hose to fill right at the boiler). My friend gets home and his son's head is hangin real low. Long story short he had put the hose in the chimney and pumped the firebox full of water. My friend told his son he's not upset at him, but proud that he would call him offering his help...that it was his fault that he'd never showed him where to put the hose to fill it with water. Fortunately all is good water out and boiler back up and heating.
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this story.

Reminds me of something my mother-in-law did years ago.

Wife's dad bought a used Dodge Aries wagon from the electric company, back in the days when they used 2 way radios. This car had the radio antennae mounted on the rear fender, near the wheel well. When they pulled the antennae, the put in a nice rubber plug to fill the hole in the fender.

Mom pulled up to the gas station, removed the rubber plug and started pumping. Don't know how much she pumped before realizing something was wrong, but the gas odor never left that car as long as he owned it.

We got more than a few giggles out of that one....

Tim

I told a buddy one time to check the oil in the mower b4 he used it, and if it needs some to fill it b4 starting it.... about pulled his fingers outa socket trying to pull the hydro locked moter, he filled it alright.

I have a manual fill valve in the basement for mine...hook the hose up to water line and to the valve and can fill. Had my wife do it once...only once. She said she had the water on for over and hour and the low level light hadn't changed. I had forgot to tell her she needed to open the valve after hooking up the hose.

He,He....too funny.
Poor kid though. His heart was in the right place.

My wife is a great one. But she can't burn wood well. Even after all my lessons on how. She just makes smoke.

All these stories make me realize I'm not the only one. I'm going to start embracing that smoke pouring from the chimney when I get home. When it's time to clean the creosote, I'll think of it as a token of love, like a dozen roses.

Sounds like your buddy has a heck of a good kid.. He gave it his all.. no harm no foul for a misstake.. He knows how to do it now... :clap::clap::clap:

I wish more kids where like that youngn..

When I was about 5 years old, I could not understand why my dad took his car to the gas station to fill it up when he could do this at home with the garden hose!

So I helped and filled up my dad's gas tank for him with the garden hose. I told my dad I filled his car up for him. He said "Thank you!"

Later we went for a drive, but did not get very far... (Dad then asked if I REALLY filled up the car???)

I learned that the "hose" at the gas station has "gasoline" in it which is different from "water" in the garden hose!

My dad learned that it might be a good idea to have a locking gas cap!

I don't feel quite as silly for the little electromagnet I made as a kid now. I figured, well if plugging it into a flashlight battery works well, plugging it into the wall should work even better right?! Spent the rest of the summer working to pay off the new outlet and circuit breaker that fried from that little endeavor. Ahh kids. Logic is usually sound, just the details are sometimes WAY off. :hmm3grin2orange: Still tho, if I ever have kids I'd hope they'd be just as inventive and/or as helpful. Traits that seem to be lost on much of the current generation of kids/young adults.

Pulled into a gas station once and saw a lady with her hood up and at least a half dozen quarts of oil lined up on the radiator support. I asked if it was low. She replied "yes it is low" she had the valve cover fill plug out and stuck her fingers down in and pulled it out and showed me how low it was... She must have used her lawnmower fill technique that her hubby had taught her..
I showed her the dipstick and how to check the oil.. Yes she had only added a few extra quarts.. Wow

My wife...she can't burn wood...after all my lessons...She just makes smoke.

Yep, I own one of those. (I do love her though)

She just don’t get it... the flue damper on my old stove. I’ve explained the whole draft thing to her. I’ve explained how the flue damper controls “in” air by damping the “out” air. I’ve explained why a fire needs the “in” air. I’ve explained why changes in ambient and atmospheric conditions will require adjustments to the damper. I’ve explained that if the house turns on the cool side, open the damper a bit. I’ve explained that if the house turns on the warm side, close the damper a bit.

Every night I come home to a house either a bit too cool or way to warm. On the cool house days she’ll tell me the stove only need to be fed once all day, but complains that, “this wood burning thing ain’t working out, the house ain’t warm enough.” On the warm house days she’ll complain that, “this wood burning thing ain’t working out, I’ve had to fill that stove a hundred times today... and it’s hot as a pistol in here.” (Really? No kidding? It’s hot ya’ say?)

When I ask her why she kept feeding the fire if it was so hot in here she answers with, “If I don’t keep doing it the fire goes out and it gets cold in here... idiot!” Or if I ask her if she tried adjusting the damper she gives me a glare and answers with, “That thing? I don’t get that thing... I just always put it back where it was... besides, you always change it when you get home anyway.
:rolleyes: :bang:
Why don't I save myself the frustration and just keep my mouth shut?

Yep, I own one of those. (I do love her though)

She just don’t get it... the flue damper on my old stove. I’ve explained the whole draft thing to her. I’ve explained how the flue damper controls “in” air by damping the “out” air. I’ve explained why a fire needs the “in” air. I’ve explained why changes in ambient and atmospheric conditions will require adjustments to the damper. I’ve explained that if the house turns on the cool side, open the damper a bit. I’ve explained that if the house turns on the warm side, close the damper a bit.

Every night I come home to a house either a bit too cool or way to warm. On the cool house days she’ll tell me the stove only need to be fed once all day, but complains that, “this wood burning thing ain’t working out, the house ain’t warm enough.” On the warm house days she’ll complain that, “this wood burning thing ain’t working out, I’ve had to fill that stove a hundred times today... and it’s hot as a pistol in here.” (Really? No kidding? It’s hot ya’ say?)

When I ask her why she kept feeding the fire if it was so hot in here she answers with, “If I don’t keep doing it the fire goes out and it gets cold in here... idiot!” Or if I ask her if she tried adjusting the damper she gives me a glare and answers with, “That thing? I don’t get that thing... I just always put it back where it was... besides, you always change it when you get home anyway.
:rolleyes: :bang:
Why don't I save myself the frustration and just keep my mouth shut?
...cause your a man and ya don't know how to speak woman talk...we all sufer from that ...

Latest posts

Back