Yale Triple XXX Braid!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok, the guys at Yale have been working on a rope for military purposes. They've been designing/testing it for like 2 years now. I talked to them a while ago and we think this thing might be a great rigging line. It's the world's first triple-braid!

The cover is not for strength, it's just for chafe and UV protection. It's basically a suped-up pretty version of XTC.

The 2nd layer is a high-tech material called Seblon. It's like nylon. Stretchy. The cool part is that the recoil is very slow. Like if you stretched a rubberband until it broke...but when it broke it didn't snap back. It slowly returns to it's original length. However, it is stronger than some of the high-modulus lines (like technora).

Then the core is PBO/Xylon (same stuff they use for their PoBon rope. SUPER STRONG. It's degrades quickly in sunlight but that's not an issue since it's covered by TWO covers!!!!!

This is a rope for dumping BIG LOADS!!! You can shock load the hell out of this thing. Basically how it works is as the load is applied, the Seblon takes the weight. It stretches to absorb the shock. After the load is brought to near static, the PBO/Xylon holds the strength as you lower the piece.

Once you get it to the ground and untie it (splices are better here), the Seblan begins it's slow recoil. By the time you get the line hauled back up to climber/bucket operator it will be at it's original length and ready to go for another run!

The splice is crucial. The PBO/Xylon does not react well in the knotting. How do you splice a triple-braid rope? Well, I'm not allowed to talk about that yet. We put a lot of work in to refining this splice. Yale did permit me to show you pictures of the just about finished splice.

attachment.php

So, the question is...would you use this? The rope would not cost very much. The Seblon is actually cheaper that polypropylene (the cheap plasticky stuff they use to make water ski pull lines). The outer cover is just polyester and the PBO/Xylon is expensive but the diameter is so thin, the price isn't crazy. A 200' piece of 7/16ths might run about $335.00. Sounds like a lot but Sherrill sells 200' of 3/4" stablebraid for $269.00

There are two sizes...7/16ths and 5/8ths. That's all they have now. The smaller size has an ABS of 29,600lbs. But get this...due to the complicated contruction, Yale is reccomending a .75:1 working load limit. This means that with this rope, you can easily and safely shock load a piece that weighs 22,200lbs!!! AND, to make it even better, it still has all it's same shock absorbing traits at loads as small as 800lbs!!! With one line, you can minimize shock to all your other equipment, the tree, and whoever is running the rope.

I got to do a bit of testing with it...not in a tree, though. It's crazy stuff. It looks squishy but feels only a bit different than 3-strand while it's running through your hands.

So the question is...would you use it? This might be the Zubat of rigging lines.

The fun part....The name they are thinking about using is Yale XXX. They showed me a picture of a magazine ad (that will suposedly soon be on their website)...it looks like the movie-posters you see at the theatre...where the credits are at the bottom, there is some technical info. Then over to the side, the rating is....you guessed it...XXX :p

love
nick

I dunno if I would like it or not... it streeches??? That doesn't seem like a good attribute in a rigging rope. When will you get to work with it?

I have to agree with Butch here. The reasone we put limbs and wood on a rope is so they dont hit the ground or roofs. I would want to know what percent they stretch. Stetch is the one factor that can be difficult to determine. We take alot of guesses up there. So you now have to guess how much this stuff will stretch with a particular load, I guess the reason for being able to shock load a 22,600 lb. piece is because its like a bungy it will just hit the ground before it reaches it end? Sounds too good to be true. I can't wait to hear how it holds up in the field.

I think that it would be good in situationds where you were say: dropping a top, blocking down large chunks, speedlining chunks without having to "catch" them first.

The other side of the rope spectum would be plasma, which has almost no stretch at its breaking point. And the median is double braid.

I would get it, I would get 2 if they let me test it for them :D.

That's a good point, carl...the speedlining. You COULD dump large loads on it (as long as the anchor points could hold it)

I guess there is a hazard here. Before you had to consider the strength of the rope as the weak link. If we start using stronger and more high-tech ropes, we will now have to put more thought into a (current) unknown...the strength of the trees!

Careful.

love
nick

Well of course you would have to use common sense, but wouldnt the stretch in the rope dramatically reduce the normal shock loading caused from dumping on a speedline?

How would it fair on friction devices? How much will it stretch?

Well, yes it would reduce shock loading, but one of the reasons for using a speed line is to clear obstacles...I am having difficulty seeing a use for this line. One would have to know about how much stretch it had..or you'd be bottoming out..not a good thing....

Are you sure, Nick, about that 29000 lb at 7/16th rating? I find that near impossible, as the best all Plasma line is 31,000 lb min. break strength, same as Amsteel Blue.

From what I understood (and hope:D) the rope only stretches during the shock load, when the load goes static, the rope stops stretching. It would be sweet if you dump it on the SL, it stretches, and then you tighten up (if needed) to clear the obsticals.

rb-one, the super high strength is due to the fact that the core is a parralell lay, like sta-set x. When the strands are straight, they are stong. Not only that, you can fit so many more strands when they are not woven. I'm sure the stats are right on!

I really don't expect this to become the Zubat of rigging lines...but it will have it's place, I'm sure. Plus, it just looks neat!

love
nick

SPEEDLINING???

Is you guys krazy? I wanna static line for my speedline.

Am I missing something here-ahh? I do gotta buzz on...

Im sure they are developing the line for the DEPT of the NAVY. When i was a recruit back in 86' we watched this training video a hundred time. They set up manaquins on the forcastle and loaded a 6 inch line until it parted. BANG! The recoil of the line wehn it parted took all the manaquins down.

I wasn't paying too close to that part, but I'm sure they said it's for the Army.

No recoil in this line. When it breaks it just falls to the ground, then shrivels up like the wicked witch when you pour water on her!

attachment.php

love
nick

They told me that since it's for the Army, the contract said that they are not allowed to advertise it or sell it to the general public until like december of this year. So maybe expect it for next spring?

%#$#$@!! I just purchased a whole 600 ft reel of ½ double braid and a GRCS last week cause the guy at Vermeer said the prices are going up and go figure! I could have saved a few grand. Nick can we get some in Canada also?

I don't know if they will have anyone selling it in Canadia. If you want, meet me at the border and I can sell you a hank!

How will this stuff work on a bollard though?

WIth all that looseness in the cover, it looks like may trap fibers under opposing wraps and tear/burn easily.

I'll vollenteer to feild test it!

BTW, can you get a look at the curve on the elongation charicturistics?

Back