Y'all convinced me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rwoods: What is a local firewood ministry? Sounds interesting... Do you, as a group, help people get ready for winter or something? Is it a subgroup of something larger, like a church group, or boy scouts and dads?

In our case it is a non-denominational Christian organization that grew out of two churches that were each cutting firewood for needy folks. It is a fairly low buck operation that relies entirely upon volunteers and donations. We have 7 or 8 hydraulic splitters, 2 Super Splitters and several trailers. It was reported last night that 585 loads were delivered last season. A load varies from a 16' foot double axle trailer to a single axle 12' trailer with a high side dump trailer thrown in the mix. Last winter was very mild here so we anticipate 700+ loads this season. There is a critical core group of a dozen or so men and women that make this thing work. The total number of other volunteers varies from week to week - sometimes 50 plus when a church or school group shows up. I would guess a typical Saturday there would be 25 to 35 workers including 10 inmates or so from the county jail. Local churches alternate serving breakfast and lunch to the workers. A Saturday's work is usually done around 3:00 to 4:00 P.M. I'm typically just a cutter. Here is a link to the ministry's website: Greeneville Wood Ministry Ron

Latest posts

Back