Yard Sale score.....EARLY Power Machinery Ltd

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morewood

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Decided to go out with the wife to browse the yard sales. A friend of mine knew of this saw and showed me to it. the guy had it in the back of his truck, not really advertising it was for sale. It looks to be complete, well mostly. Most of the components seem to be in good condition. I even has the helper handle attachment. Need some help with a good ID. Seems to be either a Universal or Universal 'A'. That would put it in the late '40s. I hope to get it somewhat cleaned up, maybe if I'm lucky, see if it will run. Don't know yet. Does anybody know if I can get a better, more modern type chain? I don't plan on selling it, but am eyeing a Disston/Merc. for sale locally. Maybe there is something to this old saw thing, huhh. Any help, intel, etc would be greatly appreciated. Also, I hope to bring it along to Terry's GTG to let everyone see it in person, maybe get some hands on help.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Shea

I'll try to get some more pics up later.

Just wondering, but was $47 too much?

Can you read the serial number (I can't in the picture)?

According to Acres site, that will tell which exact model it is....

More Pics

I got a few more pics. The first one is from the back of the saw.
attachment.php

The next two show the carb, one has a lever in it, not sure if choke or not.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Not sure what this button does, has a wire that connects to or near the plug wire. Big questions??
attachment.php

I assume this lock ring allows the carb to be tilted to be in an upright position. Don't think the braided fuel line is original, but it was well made.
attachment.php

More pics to come.

Shea

That chain you have has a lot of meat on it, just need to learn how to touch it up. mrbowsaw has some charts.

The old chain is real hard to locate and first you need to know the gauge and pitch before you start looking.

ric

More Pics Part #2

Ok, these symbols mean nothing to me, anybody have a clue to the meaning.
attachment.php

These next two show the exterior/bore of the cylinder. Cylinder head came off easily, the bore is in much better condition than it shows in the pic.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The last two show the clutch mechanism. Manual control with enough linkage and adjustment....I don't have a clue yet. I can't get it to disengage so that I can check to see if the piston is locked up.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Troll, as far as the serial # is concerned. There is NO evidence that one was ever stamped in. Looking over the metal I see no proof that it was removed, it looks as cast. I assume by the starter, manual, that it is probably the Universal. Will put up some pics probably on Tuesday....going fishing tomorrow.

Shea

That chain you have has a lot of meat on it, just need to learn how to touch it up. mrbowsaw has some charts.

The old chain is real hard to locate and first you need to know the gauge and pitch before you start looking.

ric

My Dad and I noticed that. Plan on keeping it with the saw. Just didn't know if there was ever a more modernized type of chain used on these saws. I plan on pulling the b/c along with the oiler later on this week. Will post pics and other questions then.

Shea

My Dad and I noticed that. Plan on keeping it with the saw. Just didn't know if there was ever a more modernized type of chain used on these saws. I plan on pulling the b/c along with the oiler later on this week. Will post pics and other questions then.

Shea

Chipper style chain can be found but it is rare and spendy.

Make sure its a runner before you start shopping. :cheers:

very nice saw, its great that these items aren't just going in the trash heap and being saved for the younger generations to see (just like me). We sometimes forget where we came from to get where we are now.

Back