Yarding Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's a dandy, for sure! If they get it fired up you gotta try it out. Trying to remember the config. of the controls, knee throttle left side? Hand frictions and foot brakes.

Were my old caulks and rain coat behind the seat?

Brings a shudder, remembering back then, thanks for posting the pics. I'm older than that machine, and look about the same condition.

It was in use 2 years ago. Something blew on the "drive" up the road to the next unit so they had to tow it. Meanwhile, it has been sitting and had the glass broken out, looks like more stuffing pulled out of the "driver" seat, and somebody stole a block. When the owner first checked on it this Spring, he was touring on his cat in the snow and the snow level was up to the deck. We'll see if he can get it going again. It seemed to be broke down as much as it ran the last time. I think, if he continues to work, he'll be ready next month to give it a go.

Looking forward to the pics of the '40's era machine. My property was logged for the PO cedar about then, and the doug fir in the early 50's. Mostly by Cat's, but I have one old yarder setting. They even left one intact guyline w/spikes, on a fir stump.

A week ago I noticed a fir stump that had a strap notch cut high for a corner or tail block, so I'm assuming the yarder was used in the 50's, and the cedar was logged with a cat.

Every so often I run across an artifact. I have old cat choker with a square bell, broken hand saw, spikes, old cable, etc.

And of course, the RD-4 Cat. I actually remember seeing the RD run when I was in grade school.

What I mean by one leg of strawline. I usually left my transfer out so maybe only set its back line up every few days. You know well every situation different so that's pretty general.

I know in clearcuts you're flying the lines over but usually more to string then if you only had the waste line and the road line to string. It's really bad on those running skyline rigs when thinning. You have to string both sides of the layout all the way to the landing, ouch!

Another way I used to handle the backline when thinning was to string it on the road ahead. When the road was changed you can leave it lay and it works for your road line on the next change. You're always stringing wire two roads ahead. Last road you get to flop over so you get a break. You usually end up spending it nothching stumps for the next setting. A hooks work is never done!
Around where I have worked never used the term running skyline. Always called them tension skidders or just a grapple yarder. It's really just a grabinski.

What kind of machine you work on? I worked on a Skagit PSY200 about 25 years ago and a Thunderbird (forget the number) more recently.

I got a bad scare while working on that Thunderbird. I was standing beside the mainline drum watching it because the engineer was worried about wear on the end of the line when boom. We broke both gantry straps. Down she come. Nothing touched me but it put the fear of god in me. We had new straps with Ds and the line shop neglected to clean the acid off the line before pouring the babbit. Corroded them just inside the D where you couldn't see. 4 months old when they broke.

I started out with a thunderbird 355. then a edco mustang, then a thunderbird 255 and for the last 4 years its been a washington 1118, this is a machine that was redone by pacific manufacturing years ago. All I have ever used is the running skyline set up. I should not bad mouth motorized carriages until I get a chance to try them out for my self some day. All the guys I have ever worked with that had used them had nothing good to say about them. They do sound like less work for the hook, and that is plus in my opinion. That would give me more time to work on the riggin, what i like doing the most. Since I have not worked on one, all the waste line, back line, flopping , stuff makes no sense to me. I will have to do some research.

The gantry straps are about the only thing I havent seen break yet. Recently we came real close to going over when a guy line block(guy lines with block on them suck) broke under a fairly hard pull. Turns out there was a old crack on the inside of the cheek plate where you could not see it, and it finally developed. so we took the other blocks apart and found more cracks in the same spots (skookum blocks) I really miss the block free guy lines on the thunderbirds.
The idea of only having to hang one block for a lift tree sounds too good to be true! I remember the first lift tree I ever rigged, I had to hang two 15'' blocks, because thats all we had. I cant count the days I almost quit when I was a rookie tree climber! The worst day was when I derigged one tree and was dragging a strap and carrying a block to the next tree (still in my belt and spurs to save time) and fell off the down hill side of a old growth log, through a oak top, and landed with my spur stuck in my leg (redwood spur) Like a typical logger I choose not to look at it, ignore the pain and rigg the next lift tree. I suffered later for that stupid move! Now I take my spurs off.

old yarders

It is a real shame to see old yarders in my neck of the woods being hauled off for scrap steel. I would have one sitting in the front yard if the wife would go for it!

Hey Slowp

It was in use 2 years ago. Something blew on the "drive" up the road to the next unit so they had to tow it. Meanwhile, it has been sitting and had the glass broken out, looks like more stuffing pulled out of the "driver" seat, and somebody stole a block. When the owner first checked on it this Spring, he was touring on his cat in the snow and the snow level was up to the deck. We'll see if he can get it going again. It seemed to be broke down as much as it ran the last time. I think, if he continues to work, he'll be ready next month to give it a go.

That machine would look good in the big meadow at Bookerdog's place. How far from where it is now to Booker"s? :)

OK, here's a Skagit that I understand was "donated" to the school about 25 years ago. These local boys spied it and took it on as a project. They just got done in time for Jubilee. Too bad they couldn't have had the Woods Logging line truck spool on some line. You'll notice it has no tube. It is from the 1940s and one had to rig a tree or cut a tree for a spar. They had the whistle working and threw candy along the parade route. The boys are probably itching to rig it up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Well, I'm thinking we could outlaw it over the backroads. The snow is gone.
I don't have anything that'll pull it, well, maybe my used dog. He's pretty strong.

Towing it probably wouldn't be a major problem. Holding it back on the downhill might be interesting, though. Especially if it's not running and there's no brakes and you're towing with a line. ;)

Maybe rig up a solid tow-bar or an A-frame...and hope the tow rig has good brakes.

well i've gotta say something for you PNW'ers....when it comes to logging you've got it made...the history, the "brotherhood", the pride in the job, making a respectable living through hard work, and the antique equipment is something that isn't in other parts or the U.S. around here loggers are considered "culls" historically most of them only worked enough to buy their booze and drugs, and the ones that work at it to make a living are almost outcast from society because most people can't understand that type of labor.

so if u didn't know it already enjoy what you have and appreciate it.
:cheers:

It is a real shame to see old yarders in my neck of the woods being hauled off for scrap steel. I would have one sitting in the front yard if the wife would go for it!

I see better machines then that being cut up for scrap every day. Recently with the price of scrap they are walking equipment right off the lowboy to be cut up. That's right still running. I expect there won't be many old yarders left in the near future if not already.

I know there were a bunch of old yarders sitting up on the Clearwater. All gone now. One I worked on had an alder about a foot through growing up between the drums last time I saw it. It was a big machine. No use for them kind now. I remember the haulback drum would spool 10,000 feet of inch haulback. Skyline drum 4,800 feet of 1 1/2. 199 Skagit

Sorry sILlogger, Your gonna hate me for this. I am gettin outa here in a 1 or 2 months just as soon as i sever my unwanted ties with the local authorities. Goin to see dad in La Grande Oregon where my skills, style,and technique can be appreciated and the trees are TREES!!
(&# @%# ^+(*&? (*^!@# $%^&* I wish i had never left!!!!!!!!!!
I also really miss my saws and heaters that i left with dad!
I want to try and settle in BC before everything is done with, Awesome Big trees(timber) and awesome little trees(the refer!!!) HEAVEN:jester:

Sorry sILlogger, Your gonna hate me for this. I am gettin outa here in a 1 or 2 months just as soon as i sever my unwanted ties with the local authorities. Goin to see dad in La Grande Oregon where my skills, style,and technique can be appreciated and the trees are TREES!!
(&# @%# ^+(*&? (*^!@# $%^&* I wish i had never left!!!!!!!!!!
I also really miss my saws and heaters that i left with dad!
I want to try and settle in BC before everything is done with, Awesome Big trees(timber) and awesome little trees(the refer!!!) HEAVEN:jester:

ha...no hate needed..i'm seriously thinking about heading out of here myself. i've got one years of school left(forestry degree) and them im wanting to save up some money and head out of here. i'd ideally like to get certified in BC and cut timber up there. but im' not sure how the immigration paperwork works just yet. either way i would like to work in the pnw region for a few year. NORCal, Oregon, Washington, BC, or SE AL something allow those lines. I know i would like it and i would just like to be able to say that i did it. i can come back here and work at any time that i want to

I see better machines then that being cut up for scrap every day. Recently with the price of scrap they are walking equipment right off the lowboy to be cut up. That's right still running. I expect there won't be many old yarders left in the near future if not already.

I know there were a bunch of old yarders sitting up on the Clearwater. All gone now. One I worked on had an alder about a foot through growing up between the drums last time I saw it. It was a big machine. No use for them kind now. I remember the haulback drum would spool 10,000 feet of inch haulback. Skyline drum 4,800 feet of 1 1/2. 199 Skagit

Wow! that is a big yarder. What is the longest layout you have ever strung? The most I have ever had out was 6,000 ft of running skyline.(3,000 ft from yarder to tail hold) I ran two tail blocks in the back end, about 10 ft apart to keep false wraps to a minimum.

Those long skylines, you usually work into them so you don't have to make such a big layout at once. Several times though I have had out more then a mile of skyline. The longest yarding was probably a tad over 3,000 feet. On that show, before the days of motorized carriages, we were running a sucker block so we could make the roads last. We changed roads once every two weeks. From the back end it would take 15 minutes to yard a turn and the machine was pretty fast. One of those big ones like a 199 can take a half load at a turn if the wood's thick. Something like that you have to have an exceptional tailhold stump and then you tie it back six ways to sunday. I think I had 8 twisters on one once.

Here's a picture of a long skyline about a mile. That's a 98 skagit, 110 foot tube. It don't look like much but it's a ways off. That little patch of timber you see is actually some pretty big stuff. I remeber there were some 6 and 8 foot ceadr in there but mostly 3 and 4 foot hemlock.

longskyline.jpg

Laird had a BU99 (I think that was the model) Skagit rigged at Lobster Creek, (Rogue trib.) on setting a mile from tower to tail tree. I didn't work on it, but friends told me about it.

They flew their haywire with a copter.

Here's a good story. Laird was tired of paying the crew a couple hours walk out time, so he had a cage built the crew could ride in off the rigging. After a skyline change, they were riding the cage out when the skyline cleared up.

The 'snap' sent the cage of over the top of the skyline with the crew (and Shirly Laird) inside! They did a 'round the world' over the top of the skyline.

Only injury was a smashed finger, one of the crew had his hand poking thorugh the cage and got it crushed by contact with the skyline.

I worked for a half day on a BU99 for Hale Logging up Elk river, we were out four thousand feet rigged North Bend style (side blocking off the skyline), and pulled the machine down and broke it bad.

The yarder frame broke in two between the hoist and the tower, and the tube went over the landing and looked like a Z.

No one was hurt.

Wow. I hope there was a road at the end? The downhill settings that will take place this week, will start at the short end and then move up the road as the hill gets longer and steeper. Then they don't have to pack so much line UP the 3 ibuprofen hill at once. But it is pretty short compared to that picture.

In 1973 I bought a commercial fish boat and ran off to sea, only worked in the woods intermittantly after that when the fish didn't bite....but those were the glory days of big yarders.

After Hales BU 99 crashed they set up a View Sparmatic to clean up...the crew reported it took them 7 turns to pull the logs out of the chokers set on the turn that pulled the 99 down.

North Bend rigging is like a compound bow. There's nowhere for the rigging crew to hide or get in the clear...we were inside the layout when the tower went down...the whip that was thrown in the skyline would bring the carriage right up the hill at us...then the chokers would come tight and stop the carriage before it hit us. It was rude.

Back