Yarding Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to look it up. I'll also have to walk through with somebody while they dump the trees after yarding. It is in the contract as cubic feet and has a minimum size. One unit had so much blowdown on it from before logging that if we dumped new trees, it would be a clearcut. That brings up another point, often, the wind supplies enough bug trees after the logging.

Thanks.

And it was so hot that I came home a bit groggy and I did not look it up. I'm home with the fan going and I'm swilling non-alcoholic liquids like crazy.

Quite all right. I went with the boss today to bid another euc job. More steep slopes and many large trees. We would like to leave some of the largest as wildlife trees and also drop a few big ones for slugbug habitat. What size should a bug log be?

The ground is steeper than it looks. The big tree on the left is about 18" DBH.
BigSurLT006.jpg

There are some fine millable trees if we could find someone who wants eucalyptus. I will probably mill up some 2x6s for coral boards. Anything that fits through the chipper will be chipped and spread. The biggest tree is about 22"DBH.
BigSurLT008.jpg

Then there are some very big trees.
BigSurLT012.jpg

Bugs like big logs. The bigger the better and they all like root wads attached if possible. That's why pulled over trees make for good bug logs. The minimum size is 10" on the small end, and I'm thinking 10 feet in length. I really need to read up on this. The apres logging part of a sale is my least favorite. It requires a lot of prodding on my part. Today I need to be out and see about line stringing across a major creek. Last year it was a different plan then the rigging crew had a personnel change and the current crew says no lift with the original plan. Hot today too. :cry:

I'm thinking you should import some cute pandas.

Bugs like big logs. The bigger the better and they all like root wads attached if possible. That's why pulled over trees make for good bug logs. The minimum size is 10" on the small end, and I'm thinking 10 feet in length. I really need to read up on this. The apres logging part of a sale is my least favorite. It requires a lot of prodding on my part. Today I need to be out and see about line stringing across a major creek. Last year it was a different plan then the rigging crew had a personnel change and the current crew says no lift with the original plan. Hot today too. :cry:

I'm thinking you should import some cute pandas.

Thanks for the info. I doubt we could pull over any of these trees. I was hoping to leave some of the biggest butt logs as bug logs. How many per acre is the question. Also, do you have to leave buffer trees around the wildlife trees?

BTW... NO PANDAS! We have enough trouble with non-native species without importing a bunch of tree rodents. Besides pandas attract hippies.

The lizard logs work out to about 2 per acre. Nope. No buffer trees unless it is what they call an old growth Legacy Log which is an old cull log that was left in the woods when the old growth was logged. Then a buffer is put around it, and no falling or yarding through the area. There's one where a landing should be put, and the enviros wanted the operator to move it, except it is so punky that it is going to fall apart.

In the newer contracts, the purchaser no longer has to leave the lizard/bug logs. If the sale sold for enough money, some is collected to hire a contractor to come in and dump trees. Wildlife handles that. They'll also do
snag creation and have a contractor top some trees.

It is hotter here and I have to go to work for a while so cutters can work on Monday. I was talking to a logger about it, and told him I'm behind, have to work on Saturday, and no overtime cuz we're broke due to the fires. He basically said, welcome to the world of gyppo logging--behind in work, working on the weekend and being broke. :)

It is hotter here and I have to go to work for a while so cutters can work on Monday. I was talking to a logger about it, and told him I'm behind, have to work on Saturday, and no overtime cuz we're broke due to the fires. He basically said, welcome to the world of gyppo logging--behind in work, working on the weekend and being broke. :)

Yup...Saturday is just the day to catch up on things you didn't get done Friday. And there's always something to do.

But Sunday? Nope. Even God took Sunday off. Of course, God didn't log. And if you didn't get finished Saturday with the stuff left over from Friday that piled up from Thursday and Wednesday and it's the only day the welder can come and there's a couple of machines due for oil changes and that new landing is still too small so you might as well punch it out a bit, and the water truck has a flat tire...well, maybe working Sunday is okay. If you get done by noon you might have time to catch up on some of the book work when you get home. :censored:

Gologit just reminded me how much unfinished work I have. Nice weather here, mid 70's cooling morning fog to keep humidity high enough. Coastal zone.

I'd rather sit here reading and typing and drinking coffee....

I'm back. It is supposed to be 100 something degrees today. The sign said hootowl as of today. So, I went out and marked and cruised enough of the R/W so if it should rain and change the precaution level, the cutters will have something to keep themselves busy. I took the used dog along since it was Saturday, and I need to spend "quality time with him". He was excited and jumped in the pickup like it was a lowrider. Once we were out working, he whined quite a bit. But, this is spooky. A couple hours into the work, I asked him, "Are you thirsty?" and he barked back. He got some water for that. That was the excitement of the morning. It is feeling like morning in Willows, CA right now. TOO :censored: HOT.

2dogs, I am most impressed with the work you are doing, and the yarder, and the multiple objectives service orientation of it all. I love harvesting big ol' timber fast, but that service work is admirable, and where I am looking otward. As for Sunday, yeah, got to finish marking a boundary for an absentee landowner, but family friend, somehow I've procrastinated this portion where there is a squatter's issue, possible meth lab, and multiple deer stands (uninvited). Rather unproductive land too, so not a lot of logging potential, which is of course what I am really in it for- and to help out with managing their land.

2dogs, I am most impressed with the work you are doing, and the yarder, and the multiple objectives service orientation of it all. I love harvesting big ol' timber fast, but that service work is admirable, and where I am looking otward. As for Sunday, yeah, got to finish marking a boundary for an absentee landowner, but family friend, somehow I've procrastinated this portion where there is a squatter's issue, possible meth lab, and multiple deer stands (uninvited). Rather unproductive land too, so not a lot of logging potential, which is of course what I am really in it for- and to help out with managing their land.

Are you logging pines?

all hardwood, except on the mentioned property, in the worst sites, some Virginia pine (not even accepted in the SYP- southern yellow pine) mixed with laural, wild blueberry, and mountain laurel. None of that land would be touched in any management prescription.

I am recuperating from getting soaked, even boots were squishy, after spending several hours hunting for helicopter units and then looking at stuff.
The units have thick huckleberry brush in and around them which is always pleasant to walk through on a wet, drizzly day--too warm for rain gear too.
Yup, after hitting 104 on Saturday, we have gone back to rain.

Anyway, last week, on a hot morning, after pucker sidling along a rock/vertical slope, I found a nice trail up to the road. It was an old fireline around an old unit. Up near the road were the old guyline stumps, and boy, did they ever spike the lines around it. The spikes are still in the stumps and here's a couple of pictures. It was early morning and darkish so the flash kind of washed out the pictures...my apologies.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Two drums and a niggerhead if I remember correctly. The 5 might have had a third drum...the 4 I ran was old and worn out, I think I worked on it in 1970 for Christopherson of Cedro Wolley. They had a contract with BPA to clear right of way from Bandon to Gold Beach, OR.

As you drive down highway 101 between Bandon and Gold Beach you can see some of the tower sights I did. The steep ones we couldn't use the cats and skidders on we did with the SJ-4

I hated it. I finally just quit and wouldn't run it anymore, and they put me on the cutting crew. I liked that.

Bushler, would that have been Steve Christofferson? Was his neighbor in Clear Lake many years ago when we were both kids. (Clear Lake is between Sedro Wooley and Mount Vernon.)

RavensRoost

I love a good wagon wheel setting, they look so good from the road. I was blown away when I was up in the grays harbor area on vacation a few years ago. all the huge clear cuts in oregon and washington. We are so restricted down here in CA. the units are much smaller and anything that might run water in the middle of winter is considered a creek, with trees left to shade the frogs and such. My wife and I loved the area up there. We stayed at a B&B in Hoquim when we were up there, i think it was called the Hoquim castle. A big red and white place, an old lumber barons house back in the day. I love all the logging history up there and people are really into it. Around here logging is a bad word, thanks to Maxxam coming in and stirring things up in the late 80's

Would it be hard to find year round work up in the grays harbor area if a person has some experience? What kind of hourly rate could be expected for a rigging slinger for example? Are there any companies with good benefits.

Sorry to tell you logging sucks in Grays Harbor. It would be real tough to find a good job. Gypos seem to be in a race to see who can go bankrupt first. Look else where as the economy is killing logging around here. If it weren't for the blowdown clean up from last winter it would be at a standstill.

Gotta bump this. The old Skagit is partially rigged up. It has a replacement 1954 transmission in it. I marked the guyline trees today. Got a lesson on what things do, the throttle is run by a knee, brakes are well, where brakes are, and the levers to raise and lower the tower are run by the hands.

Nice gas fake, looks like a Ford flathead in it?

OK, here's a Skagit that I understand was "donated" to the school about 25 years ago. These local boys spied it and took it on as a project. They just got done in time for Jubilee. Too bad they couldn't have had the Woods Logging line truck spool on some line. You'll notice it has no tube. It is from the 1940s and one had to rig a tree or cut a tree for a spar. They had the whistle working and threw candy along the parade route. The boys are probably itching to rig it up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back