Yes another chain/saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks I'll check the front sprocket but it spins freely when I use high pressure air when I clean out the slot on the bar. In fact it spins so fast it sounds like a serine. I replaced the bar on the 261 not long ago and it matched up exactly to the old one. I put a new drive sprocket new bar and new chain with the same results. In the past the adjustment would last until I had no teeth left on the chain. Now I'm running out of adjustment long before I wear down the teeth. Something has changed.

Spinning bearings fast with air is a good way to destroy them.

This is my ms362 with a brand new chain and as you can see it's already half way along it's adjustment. Im running a 20 bar with a 36RM-72 chain#3652-005-0072 and is what all the sthil dealers recommend.
View attachment 949178

Just checking that you are using a 36RM chain on a .063" gauge bar? You posted that chain gauge. In USA it is more common to have a 0.050" gauge width bar and use a 33RM chain.

As Harley has said show picture of the sprocket. Over time going through several chains your sprocket will wear out and when replacing chain it is best to replace the sprocket also.

Looks like you still have adjustment within specifications, make sure your bar grove and oil hole is clean and the oiler is up to flow oil.

I blow out my sprocket nose bars all the time with air and it does not harm anything. They are already spinning 13,000 rpm's or more when on the saw.
Same here. I'm not sitting there doing it for any length of time, just enough to get the crud out.

Just checking that you are using a 36RM chain on a .063" gauge bar? You posted that chain gauge. In USA it is more common to have a 0.050" gauge width bar and use a 33RM chain.

As Harley has said show picture of the sprocket. Over time going through several chains your sprocket will wear out and when replacing chain it is best to replace the sprocket also.

Looks like you still have adjustment within specifications, make sure your bar grove and oil hole is clean and the oiler is up to flow oil.
That was why I asked about pics of the bar numbers when I saw 36RM.

Ok I got some more pictures and I hope I covered every question.

Chain stretch after one tank.
IMG_5257.JPG
Slack after tightening.
IMG_5258.JPG

Chain adjuste with cover off all the way to the rear.
IMG_5260.JPG

Chain adjuster all the way forward.
IMG_5261.JPG

Bar tip.
IMG_5266.JPG

What are the markings on the bar?

Are you pulling up on the bar tip when you tighten the bar nuts? If not the bar will push up on the first down ward pressure cut on the bar making the chain loose.

It looks like you have a 0.063" sprocket but???

What are the markings on the bar?

Are you pulling up on the bar tip when you tighten the bar nuts? If not the bar will push up on the first down ward pressure cut on the bar making the chain loose.

It looks like you have a 0.063" sprocket but???
Yes I lift the bar when I tighten it

Ok thanks for the images.

I can't help from noticing that in post #1 the bar is a "yellow" and the sprocket is a rim sprocket. Where in you recent images you have a "green" bar and a different sprocket?

Are we looking at the same MS362 chainsaw?

Ok thanks for the images.

I can't help from noticing that in post #1 the bar is a "yellow" and the sprocket is a rim sprocket. Where in you recent images you have a "green" bar and a different sprocket?

Are we looking at the same MS362 chainsaw?
No we are talking about the 261 for now.

Head scratcher for sure sb. My only other thought on the 261 is a wrong size chain in the box. I seen a few posts over the years where that has happened. All I can think of is to count the drive links on the new chain unless you have already.

Latest posts

Back