Yet another 026 muffler thread....never seen one like this??!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biosbill

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Wanting to mod my muffler and "unleash" the extra power of my 026 after its rebuild!

Anyway, looking through all the threads here at the various places to drill etc but ive never seen another like mine (photo's below) To me it looks very restrictive with only those tiny slots in the side for gas escape, but im thinking of drilling a couple of 10mm holes right in the front...good idea? The port itself is the same size as the outlet from the cyl so nothing I can do there really...

Any pointers?

Cheers,

William

Drill out the end of the internal baffle. Then add an addition port. I prefer to put it on the side and use a Husky deflector.

Ok, so something like a 10mm hole in the part covering the exhaust port in picture 3. Then drill another few holes down the side near the existing port?

Cheers,

William

i would drill a few holes in the front internal baffler then go town with the dremel and carbide bur and remove the entire front of that baffler nothing wrong with dercecting the exhaust to the front cover and then exiting out the side.

yeah brads husky defector method is very clean to add an exstra port.

i stumped a few trees this morning with my 026 and its the first time ive ever got things hot enough to make the bark glow red and start smokin like crazy. i now believe the guys that say you can start a fire with exhaust heat.

im gona start over with my muffler maybe ill do a no fire muffler mod thread.

Ideally I dont want the saw to be too loud (dont mind it being a bit louder though)...

Is it possible to make a mistake that will render the exhaust useless...im happy drilling some holes into the inner baffle piece, but not sure what else...drilling a few more holes on the side of the exhaust can? But dont really feel happy about cutting huge chunks out!

Cheers,

William

Yes, you CAN go too far. If too much material is removed there will be too little back-pressure for the saw to run right.

Take a look at the muff mod thread stickied to the top of the forum.

Yes, you CAN go too far. If too much material is removed there will be too little back-pressure for the saw to run right.

Take a look at the muff mod thread stickied to the top of the forum.

I had a feeling that was the case...ive been reading through that thread and think ill just go for a few holes in the internal square piece then a side exit with a few holes, do you think ill see the performance increase?

Cheers again for all your help and sorry im so thick!

William

I've only done two muff mods, an 028 and MS290. The 290 woke up as if in a deep sleep. The 028 didn't show that much of a performance increase. In general, the MS series saws, being newer and under more strict EPA pollution guidelines, have smaller openings in the mufflers, and those saws respond better than the older "0" series saws to modding because the older saws are pretty well open already.

My 028, for example, was built about 1980, the MS290 about 20 years later.

That being said, I know people do get increased performance out of muff modding the older saws, but I'm no expert on it, having only done a couple, so someone who has done more on the older saws can speak with better experience on whether your 026 is really a good candidate.

measure the size of the exhaust port at the piston. then go about 80% of that and you have a good margin of error. you can eye-ball it with a caliper or you can get a handful of spaghetti noodles and fill up the port. then pull them out and measure the area (this is the most accurate way, but if you only go 80% of a good guess, you should be fine).

measure the size of the exhaust port at the piston. then go about 80% of that and you have a good margin of error. you can eye-ball it with a caliper or you can get a handful of spaghetti noodles and fill up the port. then pull them out and measure the area (this is the most accurate way, but if you only go 80% of a good guess, you should be fine).
lay the noodles flat?

then what,put the calipers on the noodles while they are still in there?

pull them out and put a piece of string around them to measure the circumference. then divide the circumference by 3.1415 to get the radius. then square the radius and multiply x's pi to get the area.

Last edited:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's the pics but I'm confused on the noodle thingy........

the noodle thing makes perfect mathematical sence to me...but it also might be the funniest thing I have read on the net in some time.

I have same muffler on all three my 026's

Funny thing is I did my first muffler mod two weeks ago on my 026. Thought I would do a mild mod. Everything goes well, everything back together fired her up and immediately noticed problem. My saw wouldn't idle. So I adjust the carb. Huh. Carb would adjust out the problem. Started looking for other issues, mean while I am thinking, well I just ruined a muffler. Now I have looked at everything muffler, carb, fuel line, impulse line, spark plug. Damn thing still won't idle right. had to adjust the L circuit to get her to idle to less than 3/4 of a turn. Now I knew, that would never do, so I thought it had to be in the carb. So I am just about to jerk the carb off and rebuild it when I decided to pull the bar and chain and blow everything off with a air nozzle. Get her clean and ready to pull carb. when I spun the clutch drum with my fingers to sling a piece of fod off, it made a funny noise like it dragged. This is when I suddenly got educated. Pulled the clutch drum off and found a broke clutch spring, here's why she won't idle. Scared me to death, I thought I had shake and baked the damn thing and all over a spring. O'well monkey with tools never learn. :monkey:

math...

"divide the circumference by 2 to get the radius"

huh? how about: divide the circumference by pi to get the diameter. then divide by 2 if you want the radius.

Latest posts

Back