Yet another homemade log splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyhound

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I made this splitter to run off my Cat mini digger. I had a thor vertical splitter before hand, but found it a bit slow even with a 2 stage pump.
The digger splitter is a very basic design but pushes around 17+ ton. It only has a stroke of around 12 inch as most of the fires and stoves over here take a log of 6 to 10 inch. The ideal ring size is between 10 to 14 inch, anything over 20inch would need cut into 2 with the saw for ease of handling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71l9W_TBoVo

View attachment 105461

View attachment 105471

I also made this handy grab for lifting and holding lengths for cutting. Thats my dad giving me a hand out while i was running in a new 372xp
View attachment 105469

View attachment 105470

Last edited:
looks really good. Those mini ex's have balls.
I'm having picture prob lems 2.
Don't lose an arm that's a big back plate.
Matt

As far as a design is concerned; which is better? The wedge on the ram or the wedge on the anvil?
Ive only used a splitter with the wedge on the ram.

As far as a design is concerned; which is better? The wedge on the ram or the wedge on the anvil?

Imo
you get more done with the ram being the pushplate. But if you do big stuff you will want a log lift.

At lis point i have a splitter with the ram on the wedge but we need it to tilt so we can split the 3-4' oak rounds. Id like a nice big timerwolf/ splitrite type splitter with lift but their to much money and i don't have an excuse mine works fine.

Depends on preference and splitting technique. Wood that requires lots of re-splitting is probably easier on a horizontal wedge-on-ram splitter with a work table on the off side. Single pass splitting is easiest and most productive with a wedge-on-beam and a 4- or 6-way wedge.

Back