You get what you pay for - Compression Tester

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morgaj1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought one of the no name compression testers about a year ago. A couple of weeks ago, I was testing the compression on my Dolkita 7901 and it showed only 130lb. I knew this was not right, so I tried again and noticed that the guage was leaking. So, after some research, I bought the Snap On MT308L compression tester kit. It is $199 new, but I got mine used on ebay for $75. What a difference. For good measure, I put a new schrader valve on it. This thing will last a lifetime. Just thought I'd share...

I used to have a lot of snap-on equipment when I worked in the automotive shop, biggest reason I got away from them was their prices had just gotten to high. I bought my current tester from advance auto 4-5 years for something like 20 bucks, I have used it on everything from chsinsaws to outboard engines and it has yet to let me down.

I finally upgraded to a SnapOn comression guage as well. I went through 2-3 cheapies before finally doing so. I bought mine on eBay as well.

1199235466_Wkkzj-M.jpg

My Tester is the cheap-o from autoZone. Cut all the rubber out and made it solid. The shorter the distance to the guage the better. And the guage doesn't matter as long as it it accurate.

You want a High dollar tool then build your own with this $900. gage.

3584k17.gif

I finally upgraded to a SnapOn comression guage as well. I went through 2-3 cheapies before finally doing so. I bought mine on eBay as well.

1199235466_Wkkzj-M.jpg

That looks like the same one I have Brad. The only downside is that the hose is long and it takes a few more pulls to max out.

2798k21p1l.gif

This is a cheaper version digital Guage. only $85.00

If you can, cut the hose off, and drill and tap the two ends together. This will make a very accurate and speedy tool.

Just fyi and a bummer as well Snap-On may have a lifetime warranty on some tools but they don't cover 2nd hand tools you have to have an account with them and shown your the original purchaser. Im a pawn broker by trade and have tried with many Snap-On tools to no avail to get them fixed after buying them. Its NO BUENO :mad2:

Just fyi and a bummer as well Snap-On may have a lifetime warranty on some tools but they don't cover 2nd hand tools you have to have an account with them and shown your the original purchaser. Im a pawn broker by trade and have tried with many Snap-On tools to no avail to get them fixed after buying them. Its NO BUENO :mad2:
My very first T-27 torx was from Snap on. Oh I was just getting all the right tools together...I had to have the absolute best. I stopped by my friends shop who is on the Snap on route and catch the truck and buy one.

Wouldn't you know it was the crappiest tool I ever had. Nice cushiony handle, but broke in the first six weeks. That dude gave me all kinds of grief for trying to return it. And of course he never remembered me. My friend had to remind him.

The best tools I have ever owned are the Wiha from Germany. Best screw drivers I have ever owned, even better than Snap on, and Snap on really does have the (almost) best screw drivers. Wiha beats em.

I used to have a lot of snap-on equipment when I worked in the automotive shop, biggest reason I got away from them was their prices had just gotten to high. I bought my current tester from advance auto 4-5 years for something like 20 bucks, I have used it on everything from chsinsaws to outboard engines and it has yet to let me down.

Ya know I had the actron from autozone and I havent had any luck whatsoever with mine. It just wont measure the psi. They (all my saws) went to 180 and then just stopped. The last one I had finally petered out after about 5-6 uses and then just would get to 180 and start leaking.......I had them checked with a snap on and they were dead nuts 200 pounds. Im certainly glad you are having good luck with yours though. :msp_thumbup:

True. I usually give it a dozen pulls. The upside of the long hose, is that you can lay it on the floor beside the saw when testing.

So, in essence it wont be slinging around when making the pulls? that would certainly be nice.

I bought one of the no name compression testers about a year ago. A couple of weeks ago, I was testing the compression on my Dolkita 7901 and it showed only 130lb. I knew this was not right, so I tried again and noticed that the guage was leaking. So, after some research, I bought the Snap On MT308L compression tester kit. It is $199 new, but I got mine used on ebay for $75. What a difference. For good measure, I put a new schrader valve on it. This thing will last a lifetime. Just thought I'd share...

So, it is a great difference. Thats good to hear. I need one that will give an accurate reading. And I think you are dead on when you say ya get what ya pay for. Great Thread rep on the way.

I bought a Lisle a few years back and I have never been happy with the adapter end of it. Not the best picture, but look at how long the end of the adapter is!! By the time you thread this into a plug hole, it runs out of thread and pretty much falls into the plug hole, and forget trying to get a good seal!:msp_angry:
Rich

My very first T-27 torx was from Snap on. Oh I was just getting all the right tools together...I had to have the absolute best. I stopped by my friends shop who is on the Snap on route and catch the truck and buy one.

Wouldn't you know it was the crappiest tool I ever had. Nice cushiony handle, but broke in the first six weeks. That dude gave me all kinds of grief for trying to return it. And of course he never remembered me. My friend had to remind him.

The best tools I have ever owned are the Wiha from Germany. Best screw drivers I have ever owned, even better than Snap on, and Snap on really does have the (almost) best screw drivers. Wiha beats em.
Almost everything I have is Snap-on but you are absolutely right, they don't make the best in every category. Wiha are the best I have ever used. Ridgid make the best pipewrenches and pipe-cutters, Mitutoyo and Starrett are my favorite brands for measuring instruments. Fluke are my favourite for electrical test equipment. I had a set of old Williams 1/2" drive 12-point deep-sockets, they were incredibly tough with nice thin walls, used them on impacts and never had a problem. They were eventually stolen in 2001. Hazet from Germany make nice combination wrenches. My favorite air tools are Ingersol-Rand and CP. Ok I have blathered on long enough. Time to shut my cake-hole, just that tools get me excited lol.

Last edited:
I bough the cheaper Craftsmen ~$50 with coupons looks just like the MityVac one above, same blow molded case and little compartment on the other half as well.

Can't comment on use as a compression tester as I bought it more to use as a leakdown tester.:msp_biggrin:

I bough the cheaper Craftsmen ~$50 with coupons looks just like the MityVac one above, same blow molded case and little compartment on the other half as well.

Can't comment on use as a compression tester as I bought it more to use as a leakdown tester.:msp_biggrin:

i tend to use my leakdown more than the comp tester,.

Back