You guys are a bad influence.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My name is Simple Man and I'm addicted to chainsaws..:clap:

They say admitting it is the first step...:dizzy:

The Sthil ms290 was a great step up from my 42cc Sears saw.
So I sold my good running ms290 and picked up a new ms 361 with a 20 inch bar and a ms180 with a 14 inch bar.
Yea next up a used 70 + cc saw.
.:dizzy:

Ya, that and pawning that 180 for a MS260. Luck luck to ya...and GodSpeed

Forget the 70cc...........just get an 066/660 and get it over with.

Y'a get an 044 and you'll still want the top dog.

:agree2: If you buy a 70cc saw you'll want a 90cc. Start with the 90cc and work your way down.

4 months ago I only had a few old Homelite's, now look at my signature line.:dizzy:...........454

I would like to pick up a 440 or a 660.
The sad part is that I only cut about 8 cords of wood a year. I will be done before the saw's get broke in.:dizzy:

I am going to the Sthil dealer Friday. Would you guys get a 16 inch bar or 18 inch bar to go with the 20 inch bar on the ms361? I was thinking 16 inch but the 361 pulls 20 inch bar good.

i would say with your two saw set up that i would get a larger (say 25") bar for the 361 and use that when you need to cut something bigger, and use the 180 to do anything too small for the 361 with the 20", because i really like how light and nimble the 180 is.

I would like to pick up a 440 or a 660.
The sad part is that I only cut about 8 cords of wood a year. I will be done before the saw's get broke in.:dizzy:
Get one and you'll be looking for more wood to cut just cause it's so much fun to run..............454

Yea, I love the 180 and 361 what a nice saw's.
I can see how someone can get a bunch of saw's.

I can remember when I bought my first saw years ago and my father in law told me, "So I hear you have started your collection." It did not take me long to figure out what he was talking about. Kinda like when he told me on my wedding day, "I never knew what true happiness was till I got married, and then it was too dang late." :givebeer:

My CAD Testimony

For 15 years I had one chainsaw - a McCulloch Eager Beaver 3.7 cid with a 20" bar that I bought used out of the Buy-n-Sell magazine. I don't cut a lot of wood, and for me that saw was fine, and I think I only paid $80 for it.

But then a couple of years ago I received, as a surprise anniversary present, a brand new pristine MS 180 CBE (the "Mini-Boss") with the EZ start system! Wow. Did not see that one coming at all.

After years of lugging that boat anchor Eager Beaver around, this little Stihl was a revelation! And starting on the 2nd pull... when cold...unheard of! Plus - no manual oiler button to push.

I suddenly realized that I had to have more. The next step was a well used 028 Super, that I went through and fixed up. Nice! Now I had TWO Stihls, plus the Beaver.

The 028S was great, but at only 52 cc, it couldn't quite be said to have replaced the 60 cc boat anchor McCulloch. Clearly I needed another saw.

Since I had good luck fixing up the 028, I figured I'd take it up another notch, and go for a complete fixer / parts saw. I scored an 034 that didn't run and was missing a lot of parts. I put the 036 big bore kit from Bailey's on it and a 20" bar (that came with the 028), accumulated all the missing pieces, and voila - started up on the 3rd or 4th pull and away we went.

At this point I had 3 Stihl saws, all even numbered models, with 14", 18" and 20" bar lengths. Hmmm... definitely something missing in the line up... yes, I had no 16" saw.

So the latest is an 024 on the way, doesn't run but appears to be all intact. I'm hoping to turn it into a runner and get a 16" bar on it, and my Stihl arsenal will be complete. Right? There'd certainly be no reason to ever get another saw. Would there?

Andy

You guys are a bad influence.

Wow, I have not had a complement like this in ages.Lets see, with the stimulus package and beer can recycling that 346NEXP might make it.

Well preserved, now rebuilt 61

CAD??

I was trading my shop labor to a buddy of mine to pay off my storage rental yesterday, and what do you suppose was the first project he had for me??
On the bench sat an old 61 with the white top cover and metal chainbrake.This thing couldn't have had more than 20 tanks of gas ever run through it, and my buddy told me it needed a new jug and piston. Started tearing it down, and as I was popping the jug down on the new piston, I asked him whose saw this was out of curiosity.

That's when he tells me that he is just fixing it up to sell it to a customer. Of course, I ask for specifics, and immediately agree to buy it for 25 bucks more!
This old girl is one nice saw, and now I've finished going thru the whole thing. It is basically a zero-hour saw now, with a rebuilt carb to boot. Had one like it for years, and used it in commercial arboriculture fleet duty. You could not kill that old Rancher, and it was still running strong when someone stole it from me!

Problem is, I think I might have a problem. Got a 394xp and a 262xp sitting on the shelf already, and I haven't started either one for months! Guess I definitely needed another saw, though. I truly believe that good saws are just like guns and money----there's really no such thing as having too many!!

Or IS there....
Maybe it's time for me to find a higher power, admit my powerlessness.....Aw sh@t!!!!

Back