You guys won't believe what I found in the scrap bin this time... (041G)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very nice find i wish i can find stuff like that. i just saved a 5 horse generator from the shredder last week and that it no chainsaws yet.but i'm still waiting tho

DAM YOU and your GARBAGE CAN finds!!! GEEZE, almost as good as my free 070 in the garbage can :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

We should have a thread for garbage can finds!!

:jawdrop:We never have stuff like that in our trash. Probably because we are so much neater than everyone else or we are all packrats. If I can't burn it, I tend to keep it!:cheers:

:jawdrop:We never have stuff like that in our trash. Probably because we are so much neater than everyone else or we are all packrats. If I can't burn it, I tend to keep it!:cheers:

same here if it don't burn i keep it. but i went to the local dump today to see if i can find any old chainsaws that has been trown away. and they trowed 4 in the compacter before i got there and two of them was 066 stihls.and the other two they knoew was stihls but not sure what size they where or anything but they knew they where stihls.but i told them when they find chainsaws like that to get them out for me and i'll pay them $10 a piece for them.and they said they will save them for me for now on and i told them i'll be up there onced a week . to check and buy them if they have any saved up for me. but thats a really nice too i'm hoping to find some like that. and yea them generators sell for big bucks but i wanted to keep in case i needed it when the power goes out. and the only thing was wrong with it is it was seized up for setting for a long time. but now it runs like a new again

Last edited:
Well now I officially hate your guts. Wish I could get me a garbage can too. Congrats,nice score.:clap:

same here if it don't burn i keep it. but i went to the local dump today to see if i can find any old chainsaws that has been trown away. and they trowed 4 in the compacter before i got there and two of them was 066 stihls.and the other two they knoew was stihls but not sure what size they where or anything but they knew they where stihls.but i told them when they find chainsaws like that to get them out for me and i'll pay them $10 a piece for them.and they said they will save them for me for now on and i told them i'll be up there onced a week . to check and buy them if they have any saved up for me. but thats a really nice too i'm hoping to find some like that. and yea them generators sell for big bucks but i wanted to keep in case i needed it when the power goes out. and the only thing was wrong with it is it was seized up for setting for a long time. but now it runs like a new again

That's pretty much the same arrangement I have with the scrapyard. Though I've paid as little as $5 and as much as $20 each for saws depending on how much metal is involved and condition. This one was out front in the bin still, so was freeeeeeee as a bird.

That's pretty much the same arrangement I have with the scrapyard. Though I've paid as little as $5 and as much as $20 each for saws depending on how much metal is involved and condition. This one was out front in the bin still, so was freeeeeeee as a bird.

i hear that they ain't nothing like free stuff lol i'm goin friday afther work and see if they got any for me. and if they do they 10 dollar piece for them

Thats a great result for you Brad, be interesting to see what you think of it when it's up and running.

Well, I'm going to have to find some pretty big wood to really let it show its colors. My 041 Super will already pull a 28" chain with ease, and would do more if I tried, I'm sure. That's the longest bar I have in small Stihl mount so far though.

Bob - I'm hoping to at least tear into it over the weekend; if the insides are anything like the outside (except the seized topend of course) it shouldn't be a huge job getting it running. Hopefully the bearings, gaskets, and carb are usable still. I'm 99% sure I can get a top cover from my friend, but sourcing a filter might be trickier. When I asked a couple weeks ago, my dealer said they can get them but don't have any right now.

I'm torn though as to whether I should throw the Super topend on the G to make a real beast of a saw. If I did though, I wouldn't have all four different 041 versions anymore, but would have something unique anyway.

Last edited:
But the chain speed will be sooo slooow without 1/2" pitch! When I first looked at it, I could've sworn it had 3/8" chain on it, but I'll have another look since Acres' says it should have 1/2" or .404" just like the 090s. It sure didn't look as heavy as the .404 on my 090 though. I do have one loop of 1/2" on the old Mac 1-62 that Bob gave me, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to find a Stihl mount bar to use it with. Not sure what length it is. Of course this would also require finding a 1/2" sprocket, which is probably difficult and/or pricey. I'm going to look into having a machinist make me a rim-drive sprocket for it though. Then I could at least try different sprocket/chain combos to bump the speed up and take advantage of that torque.

I think I'll end up porting whatever jug I put on it a little bit to get a few more RPMs out of it. The Super cyl. is already modded though....:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Hey Brad, You really have a classic there in the 041G. I would not even think of modding it if I were lucky enough to own it. Also I would simply stick with 3/8" pitch, as bigger wont make it cut faster. I had the opportunity to try a new 041G when I was much younger, and the hanging power was GREAT in big wood as it was. That is what the saw was meant to do.

In my opinion, keeping the saw in stock condition is the way to go, as this is a rare saw and deserves to be preserved in as close to original condition as possible. In my opinion it would be a shame to change it's inherent characteristics. It would decrease in historic value.

Congratulations on the find, and I await the results of your restoration on it.

Just my two cents worth,,,,,and my opinion.

BobT

Hey Brad, You really have a classic there in the 041G. I would not even think of modding it if I were lucky enough to own it. Also I would simply stick with 3/8" pitch, as bigger wont make it cut faster. I had the opportunity to try a new 041G when I was much younger, and the hanging power was GREAT in big wood as it was. That is what the saw was meant to do.

In my opinion, keeping the saw in stock condition is the way to go, as this is a rare saw and deserves to be preserved in as close to original condition as possible. In my opinion it would be a shame to change it's inherent characteristics. It would decrease in historic value.

Congratulations on the find, and I await the results of your restoration on it.

Just my two cents worth,,,,,and my opinion.

BobT

Yeah that's what I'll end up doing long-term for sure. But it might be fun to play with a 72cc geardrive that actually makes some decent RPMs for a while!

Hey Brad,,,,,,yep, play with it a bit, and then report back if the 72cc was a real improvement! I am going to go out on a limb and predict,,,,,,,if I may,,,,,please report if I am wrong,,,ok? I doubt if going to 72cc will have a DRAMATIC improvement in cutting ability in large wood. That thing had enough torque as it was already. I think in my mind that a sharp chain is the best way to make that 041G shine in it's element!!!!!!

Of course I may be misled, as I have been many times in the past,,,,Haha!

Don't forget to report the results of your "test with the 72cc cylinder" as I am intrigued, and wait to hear of your experiences.

Durn,,,,,,041G!!!!! I wish I were so blessed,,,,what a collector piece!!!!!

And to think that my Dad and I passed on buying one when they first came out. Oh, it was too heavy,,,too slow,,,,too this and that,,,,,,how stupid we we were at the time!!!! Haha!

BobT

Last edited:
First the pawn shop 066, now this............. it must be hard to walk around with that horseshoe up your a$$. :cheers: NICE find! :clap:

Well, technically, first this 041G, THEN the 066, but I don't wanna split hairs...;)

Hurts when I bend over sometimes... Thought that was from years of getting screwed over in other regards though!

Latest posts

Back