You know you have CAD when......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always say if you've got compression and spark, you've got a runner.
I think this one will be an ok runner, the piston looked like it ran a little lean but still useable, the muffler has a built outlet on the front that just needs to be uncovered for a muffler mod which will also make it a dual port.

I think this one will be an ok runner, the piston looked like it ran a little lean but still useable, the muffler has a built outlet on the front that just needs to be uncovered for a muffler mod which will also make it a dual port.
I have a junky little Bolens 2 stroke tiller that I was given for free that was garbage-picked off the side of the road. Looks like almost new condition but compression is only about 100psi and the piston looks like it was straight-gassed. I got it running with a new carb and have been running the piece of junk for about 5 years lol, it runs like s--t but keeps going.

A bit off topic, but that Bolens tiller might have been junky from poor care, but I had a 1966 Bolens 10 HP Garden Tractor, that may have been OLD, but that thing was “The Little Engine that Could “ ( That story might define the Old Farts, from the Kids, Grin) that thing was a True GARDEN Tractor, not a LAWN Tractor (there IS a Difference) 3 speed main tranny, 2 speed rear axle, heavy tube chassis, I had a 44” mowing deck, 33” tiller, 36” side mount sickle bar , and a dozer blade for it. I missed a chance at a PTO driven Snow Blower, and a PTO driven Chipper, it also had available, PTO driven Generators and Trash Pumps.

That little Bolens would chug along All day turning that tiller or pushing dirt or snow. Dayum thing was only a year younger than me, but I have no doubt that if the next owner (s?) took care of it, it is still earning its keep Today

Doug

A bit off topic, but that Bolens tiller might have been junky from poor care, but I had a 1966 Bolens 10 HP Garden Tractor, that may have been OLD, but that thing was “The Little Engine that Could “ ( That story might define the Old Farts, from the Kids, Grin) that thing was a True GARDEN Tractor, not a LAWN Tractor (there IS a Difference) 3 speed main tranny, 2 speed rear axle, heavy tube chassis, I had a 44” mowing deck, 33” tiller, 36” side mount sickle bar , and a dozer blade for it. I missed a chance at a PTO driven Snow Blower, and a PTO driven Chipper, it also had available, PTO driven Generators and Trash Pumps.

That little Bolens would chug along All day turning that tiller or pushing dirt or snow. Dayum thing was only a year younger than me, but I have no doubt that if the next owner (s?) took care of it, it is still earning its keep Today

Doug
Most my tractors are older then me, although I'm a cub cadet guy. My 1450 has mowed its entire life, original engine and trans, neither have ever been rebuilt. I was told it had a new pto clutch in it a few years before I got it. I redid the iso mounts on the engine. Fresh fluids and filter in the trans. Repainted it. And it's been going ever since. More or less same story for my 582, although we had that back on the farm so it mowed roughly 5 acres a week not counting the field lanes. I only got that after my pop passed away. Converted it to hydro and got a cat 0 3pt for it. Very stout tractors. I imagine your bolens was much the same. They just worked. No frills, nothing fancy just plain worked. The attachments were amazing as well. I have a 42" blower, 48" tiller, blade, and multiple decks I can swap back and forth at will between them. I do recall a front mount pto generator at some point too but but have never seen one in person. Mounted on a plate that stuck out the front if the tractor is I remember right. This new stuff doesnt even compare till you hit a sub compact tractor for 10x the price.

I never saw the snow blower and chipper in person, the dealer that I bought the Bolens from (used) called to tell me those implements had been traded in, and asked if I was interested in them. Unfortunately, I didn’t commit sight unseen, and being a truck driver, someone else grabbed them before I got down to look at them, Dayum, lesson learned, later talking to the salesman, he told me about the generator and trash pumps, which would have been front mounted, that Bolens 1050 just had front and mid, PTO connections.

I was definitely Impressed with that little tractor, and what it could do, it wasn’t FAST, but it sure WORKED, and worked hard

Doug

You buy a parts saw to fix another saw but decide to make it a runner too.
I have 2 friends that bring me saws to keep and work on so that when theirs quit working, I just swap them out, then fix the one they brought back. It's a win, win because I use them while they're here around the house. They also know I can't help but fix them because I actually enjoy the challenge.

I keep saying ,no more saws but they just materialize out of the blue, I only bought one chainsaw this year to repay a debt, it came all the way from Nevada across country to me. Bought that one but over 30 more just found a way to me, the big dumpster is getting most of them.

Latest posts

Back