You know you heat with wood when.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get home light the fire in the stove and run outside to watch the smoke pour out of the chimney....................................

Some how I got into the habit of doing this with the shop stove. It's an old Fisher copy, and I always watch the chimney for the first few minutes to see if it needs attention.

:cheers:

You see fresh c/s/s green wood piled next to someones door and remember where it is and wonder how long it's going to be till they have a chimney fire. (on local fire dept too)

your 10 yr old and identify oak/locust and ash from a mile away.

you have more bar and chain oil than motor oil stocked up

all of you back pockets in your jeans have holes in them from saw wrenches and wedges

you scour the ground in the area you just split 5 cords worth of wood, picking up all the rejects and putting them in a seperate pile to burn. NOTHING goes to waste..........................

ok then i got one for you,

you know you heat with wood when,

you shovel up all the crap around the splitter into a metal garbage can and spend days feeding it into the furnace cuz hey, NOTHING goes to waste!

you argue with your buddy about him leaving 3" and less diameter stuff in the woods cuz hey, NOTHING goes to waste!

You've ever woken up in the middle of the night wondering if you:
- drained the fuel out of your saw
- went more than __ weeks without getting a fresh load of fuel in your fuel can
- forgot to order more files from Baileys
- should check Craigslist one more time to look for that perfect splitter/saw/skid steer/trailer/truck before someone else gets it before you
- should get her the Christmas gift she asked for, or the saw that she needs you to use to heat her house
- should borrow money from her to get her some nice earrings for Christmas, and not tell her about the new saw you just bought for yourse---....(uh) for her.

You've had in-depth conversations about what to do with wood ashes.

You're sorely tempted to grow a moustache.

Flannel is a large part of your wardrobe.

You have stock in Tecnu, Tick-b-gone, chapstick, Orange hand cleaner, and Gatorade.

Your friends compliment you on your manly wood-cutting moustache.

You actually hope a tornado or violent storm will hit your town every once in a while.

You've made fun of Uncle Moustache while secretly envying his fabulous moustache.

You wake up early after such a storm hits, and drive through town looking to 'help' those with downed trees.

You slip the pastor a $20 to get him to put into the wedding vows, "and help him carry in firewood."

You've ever refused to talk to your neighbor for a week because he managed to scrounge some hedge before you could get to it.

You've ever laughed at a Craigslist ad of some guy giving away free trees - you fell them and remove all brush, and you'd better have insurance.

You know the exact location of the closest 20 dead trees to your home

Avalancher's story about the yuppy friend from the big city who becomes a firewooder brings a tear to your eye.

You're a rep-ho on AS.

When given the option to go to bed with your beautiful wife or continue sitting in front of the stove while browsing through AS on your laptop, you choose the latter.

You have an age chart for your kids:
Age 1-2 - stay out of the way of those bringing in the firewood
Age 3-4 - open the door for those bringing in firewood
Age 5-6 - cut kindling, neatly stick it in 5 gal. buckets
Age 6-10 - bring in firewood
Age 7-18 - expected to load the stove when it gets low
Age 8-12 - drive the (lawn) tractor that pulls the firewood out of the woods
Age 9-14 - operate the lever on the splitter
Age 10-18 - owns his own axe, and is expected to split a few rounds each day
Age 11-18 - helps you with tree trimming/removals - pulling on ropes, tying/untying loads on the trailer, etc.
Age 12-18 - able to start the fire in the stove without smoking up the house
Age 13-14 - able to operate your smaller saws with supervision
Age 15-16 - able to operate all your saws without supervision
Age 16-18 - able to do all the firewood work while you sit in front of the stove, wondering if you're going to fall asleep there again or if you should go to bed with your beautiful wife.

food for thought....

While at the restaraunte you stack mini cords with the tooth picks.

You ask your son and his football friend's to help load up the fresh cut hard maple on your truck before they go out on their championship victory gig.. (true story tonight..)
Plus.. almost every other one listed on this post..

When you drive by a vacant lot wondering who owns the property and if you can get permission to clean up the standing dead and dead fall.

You know you heat with wood when…
  • every pair of gloves you own are worn clean through the fingertips.
  • putting change in the vending machine includes sorting through saw chips.
  • your lover mentions she’s interested in some “wood” tonight and you take her outside to look at your piles.
  • you’ve replaced more than one rear back-glass in your pickup.
  • you’ve pulled wood splinters from some pretty strange places on your body.
  • you’re totally comfortable with telling another guy he has “nice wood.”
  • you know the specific species of every tree on your property… and your neighbors property.
  • your three-year-old can name all the parts of a chain saw, yet still can’t properly pronounce “macaroni and cheese.”
  • 16 to 20 inches is just average in your mind.
  • there’s a scrench in the glove box of every vehicle you own.
  • you named your dog Woody, your cat Sassafras… and there was a big argument when you wanted to name your daughter Magnolia.
  • having poison ivy rash is just a way of life.
  • you’ve bent the axle on more than one trailer.
  • getting your “wood wet” is something you actually try to avoid.
  • the terms hardwood and softwood no longer make you think of an X-rated movie.

You've put some thought into this response & pretty much nailed it!

You've ever woken up in the middle of the night wondering if you:
- drained the fuel out of your saw
- went more than __ weeks without getting a fresh load of fuel in your fuel can
- forgot to order more files from Baileys
- should check Craigslist one more time to look for that perfect splitter/saw/skid steer/trailer/truck before someone else gets it before you
- should get her the Christmas gift she asked for, or the saw that she needs you to use to heat her house
- should borrow money from her to get her some nice earrings for Christmas, and not tell her about the new saw you just bought for yourse---....(uh) for her.

You've had in-depth conversations about what to do with wood ashes.

You're sorely tempted to grow a moustache.

Flannel is a large part of your wardrobe.

You have stock in Tecnu, Tick-b-gone, chapstick, Orange hand cleaner, and Gatorade.

Your friends compliment you on your manly wood-cutting moustache.

You actually hope a tornado or violent storm will hit your town every once in a while.

You've made fun of Uncle Moustache while secretly envying his fabulous moustache.

You wake up early after such a storm hits, and drive through town looking to 'help' those with downed trees.

You slip the pastor a $20 to get him to put into the wedding vows, "and help him carry in firewood."

You've ever refused to talk to your neighbor for a week because he managed to scrounge some hedge before you could get to it.

You've ever laughed at a Craigslist ad of some guy giving away free trees - you fell them and remove all brush, and you'd better have insurance.

You know the exact location of the closest 20 dead trees to your home

Avalancher's story about the yuppy friend from the big city who becomes a firewooder brings a tear to your eye.

You're a rep-ho on AS.

When given the option to go to bed with your beautiful wife or continue sitting in front of the stove while browsing through AS on your laptop, you choose the latter.

You have an age chart for your kids:
Age 1-2 - stay out of the way of those bringing in the firewood
Age 3-4 - open the door for those bringing in firewood
Age 5-6 - cut kindling, neatly stick it in 5 gal. buckets
Age 6-10 - bring in firewood
Age 7-18 - expected to load the stove when it gets low
Age 8-12 - drive the (lawn) tractor that pulls the firewood out of the woods
Age 9-14 - operate the lever on the splitter
Age 10-18 - owns his own axe, and is expected to split a few rounds each day
Age 11-18 - helps you with tree trimming/removals - pulling on ropes, tying/untying loads on the trailer, etc.
Age 12-18 - able to start the fire in the stove without smoking up the house
Age 13-14 - able to operate your smaller saws with supervision
Age 15-16 - able to operate all your saws without supervision
Age 16-18 - able to do all the firewood work while you sit in front of the stove, wondering if you're going to fall asleep there again or if you should go to bed with your beautiful wife.

somebody rep this man for me!! oops i guess i gave it away, i am a rep ho! and while i'm admitting things, i do envy your fabulous mustache:bowdown:

fantastic post brother, this is being nominated for "post of the year"

Last edited:
Only got part way through before running out of rep - lotsa good stuff here, keep em coming, I'll have more rep tomorrow night!

You know you heat with wood when.....

You remember when you bought your first saw but not your anniversary
You spend more time on here than you do splitting or hauling wood

Jeff

Yup

When you are more proud of the stack of wood you have then the house you will heat with it.

Yup

[*]putting change in the vending machine includes sorting through saw chips.
[*]you’ve replaced more than one rear back-glass in your pickup.
[*]you’ve pulled wood splinters from some pretty strange places on your body.
[*]you’re totally comfortable with telling another guy he has “nice wood.”
[*]16 to 20 inches is just average in your mind.
[*]there’s a scrench in the glove box of every vehicle you own.
[*]you’ve bent the axle on more than one trailer.

Yup

When your daydreams during meetings at work revolve around time this weekend splitting and sawing.

- When you choose you next vehicle based on how well suited it is for hauling wood without considering how the rest of the family will use it.

- When 80% of the items on your birthday/christmas gift list can be purchased at Bailey's

... you learn the "alternate" meanings for the following:

"Got Lucky" = (Got some great future firewood.)

"Scored last night = (Same as above.)

"Nice looking stacks" = (Not speaking about a body part, rather c/s/s firewood stacked up nicely.)

"Soggy piles" = (Again, not a body part. Meaning "My c/s/s firewood is wet!")

"Scored some Cherry last night" = (Get you mind out of the gutter, guys! Means they picked up some Cherry wood.)

Shari

Yup

You can never get that dang tailgate up on the first swing without raking all the wood chips out first. Nine times out of ten this will always happen in a down pour after you forgot to unlock the wifes door first, usually resulting in an extended stay on the couch.With the dog.And no pillow.And with the only blanket not locked behind the bedroom door, your daughters Spongebob blankie.Dont ask me how I know.

Tailgate? Wazzat? Oh, the piece that fell victim to a tree backing out of the woods. That tree will not bother anyone else now...

Once you read a thread you look at everyone's signature for equipment additions to the Christmas wish list.

Great idea!

You know you heat with wood when
There's 3 inches of wood bark in your truck
There's chips in or on everything you own
There's bar oil tracks on the outside of your tailgate
You smell like smoke all the time

Tailgate? See above. Bar oil tracks are on the passenger side floor mat.

when you know exactly which "windowstats" to open and how much to moderate indoor temps :)
when you don't mind getting up early to stoke the stove while having a coffee
coming in from the cold and "thawing" your hands over the wood stove
drying your boots over the stove

Guilty!

You watch the weatherman at night and hope it gets colder than they say, on a day still warm enough to get a bike ride in with the wife you take off looking for new saw shops instead of new places to eat, you build a new place to store wood and fill that up too and still feel like a little more wont hurt, when you drive by someone burning wood and you try to guess what type of wood that is by the smoke smell, you call up someone you worked with a few years ago and most of the talk is about compairing how the both of you cut-split-store and burn wood= might get some good pointers !

I cant stop!

I cant stop checking this thread!!! These are so true, and so hilarious!!! Im in tears each time i check it. Keep them coming.

Oh my 3yo daughter is my cheerleader when i split wood. "Hit it again daddy, you can do it!"

winner winner chicken dinner!!!

I am so glad to hear someone else say this I was thinking that I had a problem...well ok; I do have a problem...but at least there's a support group...

Reps coming for ya!!! :rock:

HD

Back