You know you heat with wood when.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know you heat with wood when...

When there are grass clipping on top of the snow because you used your snowblower in your yard to clear a path to your wood pile. Big snow storm, roads are closed, the power goes out in your neighborhood, your the only house with heat, stepping over neighborhood kids sleeping on the foor in the morning when you go to work. (Laugh at me now!!!!, lost power for 5 five days, was able to keep the house at 65-68 degees, no blowers, no fans, outside temp below 32. Never leaving outdoor cooking supplies (pie maker, marshmallow/hotdog forks...) at camp because you use them all winter.

When there are grass clipping on top of the snow because you used your snowblower in your yard to clear a path to your wood pile. Big snow storm, roads are closed, the power goes out in your neighborhood, your the only house with heat, stepping over neighborhood kids sleeping on the foor in the morning when you go to work. (Laugh at me now!!!!, lost power for 5 five days, was able to keep the house at 65-68 degees, no blowers, no fans, outside temp below 32. Never leaving outdoor cooking supplies (pie maker, marshmallow/hotdog forks...) at camp because you use them all winter.

Sounds like you belong here...

You "convince" your wife to park outside so you can stack wood in her bay in the garage..

Trust me thats a tough thing to do... BUT the couch is soft... :hmm3grin2orange:

You know you heat with wood when you finally install security lighting and the first test is "Does it sense people near the woodpile?"

You know you heat with wood when you're happy to learn your 4 month old daughter doesn't respond to the TV but sits quietly watching the fire burn in the stove. Mum thinks I'm sacrificing something by feeding the fire and the baby at 1:00 am. I wonder how long I can get the brownie points before Mum realizes the baby and I both like napping in the warm chair. :)

Last edited:

there's no place to sit in the den (where the stove is) because the cats have camped out in all the comfy seats already.

You know you heat with wood when you're happy to learn your 4 month old daughter doesn't respond to the TV but sits quietly watching the fire burn in the stove. Mum thinks I'm sacrificing something by feeding the fire and the baby at 1:00 am. I wonder how long I can get the brownie points before Mum realizes the baby and I both like napping in the warm chair. :)

SWEET! How long will you keep getting the brownie points AND the warm chair! Good luck with that!

You know you heat w/wood when,...

When you've put off replacing the motorcycle you sold when the babies came along, in order to afford a a kinetic splitter to augment your hydraulic one and a large trailer to haul them and the wood on. Also when seriously debating the finer points of having a skidder tractor to your wife (and you live on the plains) and are able to make the business case for it! Now if I could just win the lottery,... I also need a 40'x60' Butler Bldg to keep all of this in.:msp_thumbup:

I didn't notice this one, 1:
You know you heat with wood when you finally install security lighting and the first test is "Does it sense people near the woodpile?"

You know you heat with wood when...the electrician who wires your new addition puts outside lighting on the woodpile WITHOUT YOU EVEN ASKING! I saw him on the ladder and said, "What are you doing up there??" 'cuz there was no inside lighting anywhere near there. He goes, "You want to cover the woodpile, don't you??" We'd never even thought of it. We paid him with wood, so it turned out he was putting the light in FOR HIMSELF so's he could grab the wood after work!!
rofl.gif

These are so funny! The more you read them, the more you identify with them!

Did that last night, our 3yr old woke up from a bad dream. Nothing beats cuddleing with my girls in front of the fire. I did the same thing when they were babies I took the nite feedings.

...when you open the cold water faucet and have to wait for the warm water to leave the pipes before you get the cold water you need. :msp_biggrin:

your goal in life is to have enough wood piled in various places in the backyard that you run out of grass to cut....thats what my son is hoping for anyway

you are going to train your next dog how to pull a kids sled full of wood thru the snow

Jeff

When you wake up exhausted because you stayed up to see how well a new way of stacking would burn and you wanted to get an exact burn time so you didn't dare fall asleep and not know the exact timing of the sticks turning to just coals...

Back