You know your CAD is bad...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
You know your CAD is bad... when you're leaving for hunting camp and you're more excited about running the chain saws than shooting dove.

I'm leaving in a couple hours for the first weekend of early dove season in California; they run a split season here and it looks like a good year for dove and quail. This early season started September 1 and runs for 15 days. It's very nice that I can squeeze 3 1/2 days away out of this trip. We got a couple deer about three weeks ago and saw lots and lots of birds. Oh yeah, and wild pig season is open 365 days a year here too, so a rifle or two come along for the trip too.

However, I've shot dove before, and although it's lots of fun and they are very tasty, I've yet to put my new-to-me MS 034 Super into wood. So I am REALLY looking forward to running this saw more than anything else. Somehow, something in my head tells me it's wrong to care more about the chainsaws than the hunting. But in my heart, I can't wait to smell the two-stroke smoke and the fresh-cut oak.

At least you are TAKING your shotgun and rifles...You know the CAD is over the edge when you go hunting and you don't bring any GUNS...

Bounty Hunter

P.S. Bring some ammo too...just in case you run out of 50:1 mix

To address your main issue, if you lean out the high end a bit you can eliminate some of the smoke.:D

I could just toss a couple of boxes of shells in the trash, leave the shotgun at home, and do about as well as I normally do on dove.

Well, I kinda knew where you guys would fall on the hunting vs. chainsaws side of this equation--thanks for the encouragement! And yeah, I too am about the world's worst wingshot, but it is fun to chase the birds around. At least when you cut wood it doesn't take off and fly away and leave you standing there looking dumb.

...Well, At least when you cut wood it doesn't take off and fly away and leave you standing there looking dumb.

I'm not so sure. I had that happen once and I've never fully trusted wood since.:laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

At least when you cut wood it doesn't take off and fly away and leave you standing there looking dumb.

I have had wood fly and it sucked!! I had just gotten a new 28" bar for my 066 and wanted to sink it in some wood. The first thing I came across was a pile of limb wood beside the wood shed. I began to cut away on the pile, using the tip of the bar to cut, chips were flying.........This was the very instant I found out that when a guy cuts small wood with the tip of a long bar, the bottom of the bar has the potential to pick up some of the wood you just cut, and throw it into your sin at 93.6 MPH if you aren't watching! Talk about looking dumb and hurting!!! Lesson learned tho!

Mmmm shooting doves it funnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!! best when with a belgian A5 in 20guage

But you know whats better?

Eating them! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of doves,Whitewing or Mourning,can you hunt in the area?We have mourning here with a small population of Asian Collared doves.The Collared doves are larger than the mourning doves(mid-way between a Pigeon and a mourning dove).
I tend to be "old-school" in the gun choice too,Ithaca M37 20ga. still gets the job done for me.

Well, I kinda knew where you guys would fall on the hunting vs. chainsaws side of this equation--thanks for the encouragement! And yeah, I too am about the world's worst wingshot, but it is fun to chase the birds around. At least when you cut wood it doesn't take off and fly away and leave you standing there looking dumb.

you need a good dog, he can chase them, and you just walk around looking at the wood to cut till he tells you theres birds around...
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back