Your favourite tool brands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
Reaction score
We all have the brands we like, and not all of the best brands are best for a specific tool.

Small pliers I like Snap on, unfortunately I don't have any
Screwdrivers - Vera.. really like them.. hardened tips that just don't wear out
Allen keys - B0ndhus
wrenches, sockets.. .I have all Craftsman.. not the best, but they do OK for what I need
Knipex makes some darned good pliers too.. they have some like channel-locks but with finer adjustment

Power tools here are nearly all Makita.. the 5" grinders are great, and I like the 18V lithium tools too.. I've got 2 sets of 1/2" drills and impact guns, a 3/8th angle drill (expensive, not used very often, but a life saver when you need it). We have a 550 RPM Bosch 1/2" drill that will break your wrist in the blink of an eye, and a Craftsman 1100/2200 7.5A 1/2" hammer drill.. also in a dewalt flavor, it's seen years of beating and still works good (chucks are weak though).

Air tools I'll take Ingersoll Rand any day.. had CP and didn't like them.. I got a bunch of chinese stuff too for the occasional use.. palm nailers, air shears, etc, but the impact guns are all IR

Specialty stuff is usually KD tools, because that's what I can get locally.. OTC on occasion

not a whole lot seems to be made in US anymore. i have tried to pick up USA craftsman stock when i see it. I think all that is left is 'new old stock' that occasionally would show up on store shelves. the syracuse farm show had a dealer last winter with a boatload of USA craftsman stuff.

most of the stuff that is still made in USA is just way out of my price range.

Used to buy lots of craftsman stuff. Now that it's all Chinese, craftsman is off the list for me! I've found S-K to be the best combination of price, quality and still US made. NOTHING made by S-K is imported. At least that's what their website says, and I've never ran across an Asian SK tool. And I think the quality of S-K is as good as Snap-On, Matco, etc. The only S-K tool I don't care for are their ratchets. Seem to be a little behind the times with the round head and no handles with good screwdriver/soft type grips. Ebay seems to have the best prices. Wish there was an SK tool truck that came around....

After spending 10s of thousands of dollars in snap on tools. I'll say anything that has a lifetime warranty that I can easily exchange (no shipping or wait time) and isn't priced ridiculously. $100 for a ratchet is insane but when you feel how smooth they are it's worth every penny. I'm a mechanic so I need decent tools at hand everyday.

Regards-Carlo

I have an old craftsman rolling toolbox with mostly craftsman stuff and a mix of various other stuff that I bought as I needed and was most convenient to buy at the time. I'm not really brand loyal as I don't make a living with my tools but if I did I'd probably stick to one brand like snap on.

I will vouch for Nicholson files. I have some that area easily older then me. So long as you take care of them they work fantastic.

Regards-Carlo

Beware of Nicholson files.. they are a 'sold out' brand.. a lot of the new stuff is chinese.. they definitely WERE very good... Other "sold out" brands are Delta, Bosch and a bunch of others.

I do like a 'no questions asked' kind of lifetime warranty.. I've had trouble with Mastercraft, especially on discontinued lines they won't honor the warranty unless you have a receipt.. and that's BS

Channel-lock is another brand I really like. Haven't 'sold out'. Still made in PA, still very high quality. Seems like the price for channel-lock has actually decreased in the last few years. Don't know how that's possible, but I try to support them when I need new pliers, needle nose, side cutters, and channel-locks, of course. I agree Rx7man, lots of brands are parading the old name on new stuff coming from overseas. Others include: Vise Grip, Milwaukee, Crescent, even some of the Matco and Mac tools.

I haven't noticed a difference in quality in Vise Grip since they went overseas.. I rounded off the teeth on the domestic ones just as easily.. They're one of those tools you just have to replace every once in a while.. especially if you use them for welding. I don't have very much Milwaukee stuff.. That Craftsman drill I mentioned in the OP has a very similar model (different case, same internals probably) as the Milwaukee equivalent, but the Craftsman/Dewalt version is shorter, which I like

You suck!! Big time. These [Wiha]are quality tools. I've used them in the printing industry for years and they remain very reliable, especially their hex wrench sets.

There's a pet peeve of mine.. wrench sets that aren't all-inclusive... best one I saw was a metric gear-wrench set that was pretty much all the odd numbers up to 14, and all the evens above that. I think the 13 was about the only wrench in the set I'd every used. They evidently had a bunch of extras they had to turn into a kit so some housewife would buy them..

Back