Your first chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How old were you when you got one?

I was 13 yrs. old, and a neighbor was gonna throw out a Homelite saw. I don't recall much about it, other than it was a small one. It had a pretty short bar on it.

Anyways, neighbor said that it was worn out and wouldn't run right. I asked him if I could have it? He looked at me for a few seconds (sizing me up I guess) and said okay. He told me not to hurt myself.

Long story made short, after a good cleaning (I'm kind of OC about that) and a few visits to the local lawn mower repair shop, I got it running. I repainted some covers on it, bought a new chain for it, did a few other things, and was able to sell it.

From there, I bought another saw with the money I made on the Homelite. It was a used Stihl, but can't recall the model number. Cleaned it up, did a few minor repairs, and helped a neighbor cut wood with it. He paid me by the hour for my help. He did that for a few summers. He had a big ole honking saw, but don't remember the brand.

From then on, I always had a saw as the years went by. They were always used ones, but I made sure they were in decent shape before I bought it.

There were times when my saw(s) sat idle for a while. Most of the time, I went with others, to help them fall trees, clear land, or just gather firewood.

If I had to guess at how many saws I've had over the years, about 20 come to mind. Traded some, sold some and of course, bought some.

To this day, I still have the desire to have one on hand, even if it doesn't get used on a regular basis. I just feel it's something that a household should have.

I haven't fell a tree in years. Haven't cleared any land as of late, and I don't heat my house with wood, so I don't have a pile of wood near-by.

But, I do have friends that gather firewood at times, and I still get invited to go with them when they do. I prefer my own saw. That's why I have one. :msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
From then on, I always had a saw as the years went by. They were always used ones, but I made sure they were in decent shape before I bought it.

I agree with always owning a saw. I would feel helpless if I didn't own at least one good runner.
My first was a Stihl 038 mag I bought new in the mid 80's, still have it and use it, though not as much as some others.

My first saw was a Stihl 031 when i was 30.... i got rid of that and now own a Stihl 181 Huskys 357 562 372 385 All ported and a Stihl 084. And im only 36.... lol i love CAD

My first saw was about 10 years ago, at age 18. Stihl MS 310. Parents bought it for me to cut a bunch of trees down around the house.

Stihl 009L, actually didn't use it cut wood. :msp_w00t: I put mineral oil in it, rather than bar oil. Used it for many years, splitting moose in half. Use it now for cutting small blow downs up, limbing sometimes. Have 365sp w/MM. Looking for a bigger saw :dizzy:

7 and counting

First one was a 290, which I got when I moved out into the country and toasted within a year. Luckily through this site I got hooked up with Bucknfeller and he made a real saw out of it. :rockn:

I got hooked at the fine young age of 38. I cut my teeth on one 36cc animal of a craftsman/poulan loaner.. Little while later i was given a SuperEZA0 and that became my first owned saw. Im 39.5 now, and i'm a full blown addict :dizzy:

My first saw was a little husky 345 and was a great little saw. I bought it to start selling firewood as just a side job and cut about 10 cord with it my first year. This was about 10 years ago and I'm now 32 and selling about 30. That little saw was stolen out of the back of my truck while I was at work :msp_angry: . Since then I've gotten a husky 61, 365sp, 288xp, ms460, and a pp305. The old guy who use to fix all my saws and kinda got me hooked told me if ya leave a 50$ bill and a saw in the back of your truck they'll take the saw every time. Sure miss that little 345 and old Sam Mitchell as he's since died with cancer as both he and it were instrumental in getting me hooked on one of my favorite hobbies.

At age 14 my dad gave me a 610 Mcculloch and a monster mall and said "here you go". Those two things will turn a boy into a man REAL quick! Been hooked ever since.

A Stihl MS-261.

One of the easiest starting saws I've ever owned. :msp_thumbsup:

Same saw as you made a "flaming" thread about, regarding how difficult it was to start? :msp_biggrin:

Most such complaints regarding new saws are operator errors anyway - failing to read the operator manual is a common cause....

It really wasn't MINE, however, I told my dad if he bought a new saw I'd use it. We got a John Deere 55v. Wish I still had that saw! We had it in the shop for some reason and got an Olympic chainsaw as a loaner. Don't remember the model and we had the chance to buy it. That saw could cut.

my first saw was my dads 041fb that he bought new when i was 8yo back in 1978,i used to help him load and split wood to heat our home,when i finally got old enough to handle it i guess i kinda inherited it,i fixed dad up with an 028 that was a little lighter,and the 041 stays in my shop,i just ran the 041 about an hour ago after i replaced the clutch springs,she still runs great,i have been hooked since i was a kid and still enjoy it:msp_smile:

Mine was a Husqvarna 340 given to me as an x-mas gift by my bro. It was wrapped and everything...out of the box! Def one of the best gifts received. There was no picking up the box and shaking it on that one :)

Just got it running again after sitting too long. Sharp chain and it's great on the little stuff.

First chainsaw

This thread looks like a good place for my first post........
I've been around chainsaws all of my life, and had the opportunity to run many different saws while around home.
After I got out of the Navy in 1970, I moved into a house that had a fireplace, so Dad dug around in the shop and handed me my first chainsaw.....
a Solo Rex! Dad was falling timber in the northwest, and in the early 1960's he had gotten the Solo and a Stihl Lightening to run and evaluate in big timber.....
the rest, as they say, is history! The Solo had been run for part of a season, and then stayed under the bench in the shop for the next ten years!
It kept me in firewood for five or six years - until I got my first Stihl!

Same saw as you made a "flaming" thread about, regarding how difficult it was to start? :msp_biggrin:

Most such complaints regarding new saws are operator errors anyway - failing to read the operator manual is a common cause....

I said that sarcastically........:msp_wink:

And yes.....I read the owner's manual before trying to start it.

Last edited:
Back