Your first chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first saw I was 12 and my dad gave me his little red Homelite. I was in the old shed today behind his house and found it in a pile of junk. I brought it home to clean up and put on the shelf over my saw bench. Dad says I have been addicted to saws ever since I was 2yrs old when he first bought that little red saw. I'm 29 now and don't see my addiction getting any better.:chainsawguy:

Pics?

I bought my first saw when I turned 16.
It looked pretty much like this one, it was a 250 with a 30" roller.
I got a frown from my Grandad, I was supposed to buy a C91.

dog4.jpg

First cut was with a Stihl 034 when I was around 16. Then my parents got divorced and I hadn't had the chance to use it. When that was finally over, last year, I bought a 362 cuz life without a chainsaw isn't life at all! And owing 1 saw is like owning none so I bought a 064 this year and got a Echo 280E for free from my FIL.

Yeah after I watched Sometimes a Great Notion I find out you can't have enough Saws.

[video=youtube_share;vKdF-IP7rE0]http://youtu.be/vKdF-IP7rE0[/video]

Lord, I must be old, my first saw was a bow saw. Age 7. That and a two man bow saw my brother and I had to use to buck what Dad had felled. Oh, Chainsaws your talking... think I was in my mid 20's and bought a Poulan 306A I think it was. It was a good saw. Cut a lot of firewood with that green machine. Used it to remodel the log cabin we lived in up in Maine too. Gave it to a good friend when I bought my first Husky, He still has that Poulan.

I bought a house back 2 years ago and figured that a chainsaw would be a good thing to have around. Naaaaaa.... I was lurking on those things since I was a kid. I started with an MS250, then 4 months later sold it to a friend to move up to a MS261, then got convinced by my firewood cutting guru that I needed 2 saws one small to limb and a bigger one to fell. Well I sold the MS261 and I'm now the proud owner of a Husky 435 and a MS362. Lots of saws for only 50 cords of wood....

My first, a 500EVL at age 15. This was 1987. Ran this one saw till 2000. I know, very sheltered!! Then a friend let me use his Husqvarna, I guess he took pity on me. I have and always will be true to husqvarna every since. :rock:I have tried all the others and still continue to buy for the collection other makes and models but the main stay will be husky.;)

The first saw I ran was Dad's Echo. First saw I owned is a Husky 55, bought in 1998 and still goin' strong. Recently added a 570 and thanks to this place I feel a need for a 550xp.

I was 14 years old, I bought a homelite 5/20 from my neighbor, a pro faller, he had just bought a new 7/21. He sold it to me for $25 that I had to work off $10 of it weeding his garden. GEAR DRIVES for ever. Not really. Still hanging in garage.

Bought at a garage sale almost thirty years ago. Paid 15 USD for him. 13 USD too much. Learned all about automatic oilers on him. Took me a couple weeks to get him running. Didn't understand pumper carbs..

Never going to part with 'Little Darlin'.

attachment.php

Perfect for the urban home owner.

This was my first saw too. Around 22, and just got married and bought a house in town with a couple big sugar maples, a white birch, and 2 apple trees and wanted to to some trimming on them. Had a buddy that worked in a saw shop and helped him do something and he gave me one of these as payment. Still have it, great little saw. I now also have a MS170, 026, and a Huskey 288.

First saw I owned was the Ryobi in my sig, I was probably about 22 then. I bought it to remove some apple trees at my moms and some maintenance in my own yard. I came to this site looking to replace the Ryobi and bought a 361. It's all gone downhill since then. However, thanks to the advice on AS I was able to make the crappy Ryobi into a great little limber. I kinda like the little guy now :rock:.

EDIT:
The obligatory saw pic. I've since added an Oregon 16" bar and Stihl PS3 chain.
abo.jpg

I got one of those now-days too. Decent little limber with a Zenoah Motor.

First Saw was green magnesium Poulan of 45 odd cc's or so I guess. Ran Pops McCullochs and the neighbors Homelites. Uncle made me run a Clinton C3 that I pretty much hated. Had a Bolens Thrifty too. These were all back in the days when saws came in cubic inches with manual oilers and you could still buy 7/16 chain at the store. Boy I'm gettin old :(

The first saw I owned for myself is a Husky 460 Rancher. Growing up I had saws a-plenty to cut firewood with in my family. My Grandad's Pro Mac 800 was the first I used, my fathers Husqvarna 181 was second.

Cheers.

I grew up using my grandpa's old Homelite. I wish I knew the model or what happened to it. I bought a Poulan Wild Thing when I was 21. Used it for years. Wised up when I was 29 and bought an MS261. It is such a great saw. I got to pick saws out for my volunteer fire department this year and we got a pair of MS441s. They are awesomes saws too.

Remington mighty might 400. x2. I was 13 when I owned them. But I used them well before that.
And as a matter of fact I still owen them after 20-plus years.

hand me down

I got a very old poulan 16" form my dad. It had all metal covers and it didn't run. It needed a new fuel line which I replaced and got it running after much cleaning. I thought is was a good saw until I used a friends stihl. Then I had to have a stihl, I have a MS290 and A ms180c. I gave the old poulan to my brother and he still uses it for small limbs and stuff like that. I also got a crapsman 42cc 18" for Christmas a few years ago and it is hard to start and has no power, I can't seem to give it away. I have used my father in-laws husky 455, I prefer my stihls as he does to.

Latest posts

Back