Your First Saw That You Ever Took A Wrench To

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First saw I ever really worked on was an 031AV 'in a box'. Was given to me by my 4-H small engines project leader after somebody 'donated' it to him. That somebody'd torn it down when it roached a piston and given up. I was 11 when I got it, and had it together and running with a new piston and rings by my 12th birthday the following July. Just used the IPL in the back of the owners manual as a guide for how to put it together.

Cleaned the transfer from the cylinder with sandpaper and patience. Cylinder had a couple score lines, but I didn't have the $150 that the dealer wanted to order a new jug. The $50 for the piston (in 1985) was enough lawn mowing money as it was. At least the parts were still available from the local dealer then. Never put a thought to the crank seals (heck I was 11-12 years old). Intake boot seemed to be good...

Used that saw to make dirt bike/truck/gas/screwin' around money doing yard clearing jobs over several summers before it tired out and sat on the shelf. Got an NOS P/C for it offa ebay a few years ago.........and let it sit again. Was running old Homelites, McCullochs, and Poulans by then, so I just was never getting around to working on it.

A member on the board here contacted me asking if I wanted to sell the 031 (not sure how he knew to contact me). Worked out a deal. He got the saw and parts. I got some money for parts for the saws I actually run. Last I heard from him he'd finished putting it back together. He doesn't post much, but I hope he does a thread on it someday...

This is like the chainsaw version of "Ol Yeller", or "Where the Red Fern Grows". Very touching Aaron.

If I tear up do I have to move to Ohio?

Probably lines and/or carb diaphragms. Those little macs are no fun to work on. First saw I ever ran was Dad's PM320 that he bought new around 1980 or so. I still have it. It's sitting on a shelf waiting for lines and a carb kit. SOMEDAY I'll get it going again. Probably in another 10 years or so...:laugh:

did it lose spark?
Interesting, my Mom bought my Dad the PM310 as a Christmas gift around 1980, and it ran for the last time just before Christmas of 2006. It never failed us in that 26 year time period, so as much as these saws are hated around this forum; I can't really fault them because of how long ours lasted. Of course it probably didn't even have 50 hours on it over that time frame, maybe even 20 hours.

I don't actually know what happened to it, but I have a theory. My Dad bought a 2.5 gallon gas can and for the amount that saw ran, that gas lasted a long time, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had bean leaded gas. I took it over after he passed away and I started using 50:1 mix, complete with ethanol and I think that, in combination of years running on stale gas, is what killed it. I took it apart and was looking to buy NOS air & fuel filters, as well as a carb. kit, but was having a hard time figuring out what the carb. was exactly, this was well before I knew that this site existed. I learned pretty fast that that saw is a horrible design, and yes, they are a pain to work on. It got forgotten about and it is still sitting there all disassembled, especially since I bought the MS 361, maybe some day I'll put it back together. I will never throw it away, will just keep it for posterity, it was my Dad's and it was the first chainsaw that I really ever knew. Hanging around with you people is taking it's toll; I'm thinking about picking up either a 10-10 or a 700 to rebuild. I'll have a soft spot for the original McCullochs.

Hi Jon,...hows the figurine collection coming along? That dry desert air must be good for your tan.

:D

4761797595_930f4f446d_z.jpg

Probably lines and/or carb diaphragms. Those little macs are no fun to work on. First saw I ever ran was Dad's PM320 that he bought new around 1980 or so. I still have it. It's sitting on a shelf waiting for lines and a carb kit. SOMEDAY I'll get it going again. Probably in another 10 years or so...:laugh:

Haha I have a PM 330 sitting in my garage too. I tore the carb off and cleaned it. As I went to put it back on one of the lines split. I gave that sucker a really good look wondering how fun it would be to trace that line back. Ended up abandoning it.

Interesting, my Mom bought my Dad the PM310 as a Christmas gift around 1980, and it ran for the last time just before Christmas of 2006. It never failed us in that 26 year time period, so as much as these saws are hated around this forum; I can't really fault them because of how long ours lasted. Of course it probably didn't even have 50 hours on it over that time frame, maybe even 20 hours.

I don't actually know what happened to it, but I have a theory. My Dad bought a 2.5 gallon gas can and for the amount that saw ran, that gas lasted a long time, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had bean leaded gas. I took it over after he passed away and I started using 50:1 mix, complete with ethanol and I think that, in combination of years running on stale gas, is what killed it. I took it apart and was looking to buy NOS air & fuel filters, as well as a carb. kit, but was having a hard time figuring out what the carb. was exactly, this was well before I knew that this site existed. I learned pretty fast that that saw is a horrible design, and yes, they are a pain to work on. It got forgotten about and it is still sitting there all disassembled, especially since I bought the MS 361, maybe some day I'll put it back together. I will never throw it away, will just keep it for posterity, it was my Dad's and it was the first chainsaw that I really ever knew. Hanging around with you people is taking it's toll; I'm thinking about picking up either a 10-10 or a 700 to rebuild. I'll have a soft spot for the original McCullochs.

leaded gas won't hurt a 2 stroke. The lead acts as a lubricant just as the oil mixed in does. That why when you get a old dirt bike that recommends leaded gas, you don't need it. Now on the other hand don't put unleaded gas in a leaded 4 stroke...

leaded gas won't hurt a 2 stroke. The lead acts as a lubricant just as the oil mixed in does. That why when you get a old dirt bike that recommends leaded gas, you don't need it. Now on the other hand don't put unleaded gas in a leaded 4 stroke...
That was the point that I trying to make about the leaded, and non-ethanol, gasoline. The old McC last so long because of this, but I'm sure it went stale and the newer ethanol gas that got left in it only made the situatio worse. Again, this is my theory, may be incorrect.

First Saw I took a wrench to was a Craftsman 2.0 or 1.8 with a 12" bar. Was my dads saw that my cousins seized up, and I got running for a while. more a challenge, I was 12, so that was 22 years ago. Have to look up what is was.

Next saw was a McCulloch Power Mac 6 with a 14" bar, Previous owner had removed the muffler, was a gutsy lil saw. Still have it and some parts, needs a coil and seals I think

In the middle of those 2 is still one for the books, Grandpap bought a STIHL 028 SUPER with 16" bar for 50.00 I think, back in the early 90's Guy sold it to him, because it wouldn't oil..... Lesson of the day, you need to add oil to the oil tank for it to oil the bar and chain. AS he taught me, check the simple things first :bowdown:

The 028 Super still runs today, Sprocket upgrade, rebuilt carb, new seals, new impulse and fuel hoses. LOTS of firewood still truly my favorite

Mini Mac's and Super 2's are kinda a pain to work on because the motor is like all inside the case and you slide the motor right out of the case.

You're right! I've worked on a few of my Mini Macs and Homelite XL's and Super 2's. I totally restored a Homelite 150 for some friends and they're kinda a pain because the carb is all the way on the inside like a Mini Mac. They're nothin' but little buggars!!! With that said, I still love them and will work on any that I can get my hands on! :) -Michelle

Jonsered 70e WITH the chain brake... still have it and it still runs like a balls to the wall saw should.

Pair of Poulans, 3400 and 3700 (craftsman 3.7). Both got new fuel lines and carb kits, with a little help from threads by Modifiedmark.:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Back