Your first saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbvfd592

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all I'm 16 years old. i like chainsaws alot i only have 3 small saws but haven't spent a cent on them yet i have 2 home xl2 and a stihl 009 all for free its just fun. I'm wondering what all you started with and how old. :cool: :D

Free saws are always the best. :) Be careful or you'll end like lots of members (myself included) who have developed various syndromes. Some drive you to collect lots of saws, others have you limbing 1" branches with a Buick V8. All are expensive to treat. :blob2:

My first was a Wen Hornet electric. Pukey thing with an oiler that never worked right. First gas was an Allis-Chalmers 195. Sold that a while back on eBay.

Long way from a flimsy plug-in to something targeted at the Pacific Northwest.

First one I ever used was a Craftsman/Poulan with auto-sharp. It did the job but looking back, man was that thing junk. First saw I ever owned is my Stihl 026, for my needs it's an all around perfect saw. I appreciate the fact that someone was willing to lend me a saw back then and will on occasion lend out my 017.

My first saw was a smaller Jonsered, can not remember the model, but it had a 14" bar, that had belonged to my late uncle-it was "well used" when I got it, and I had it for a couple of years, then gave it away to someone who was a little more handy with repairing things than I was.

Started back in the late '60s with a used MAC that I bought from a shop in Sandy Oregon. Did some firewood cutting with it when there was no other work.

Got back into working with a saw when I bought a MAC 610 from Sears, several years ago. Now I have several STIHL saws and could not be happier.

Hal

I started with a 1979 Homelite Super E-Z. Got it when I was in college. I still have it, it's a great little saw. Ran 2 1/2 tanks of gas through it yesterday, and its as much fun now as it was 24 years ago.

When I was very young 5-6 years old my father let my brother and I cut brush with corn knives (machettes). Looking back now I cring when thinking about what might have happened. I can honestly say I can never remember doing anything unsafe with them. We had respect for the sharp edge and knew what it could do. We really thought we were big guys when we dropped a 8 inch tree. As I got older and started running dad's saw he decided it was time to get one of out own. When I was about 9 he looked at buying a little Mac from a box store but decided on a Poulan Micro from a local dealer. We still have the Poulan and the little dealer is still in business while the box store is long gone. The first saw I ever bought with my money was a Homelite Super EZ and I ran it yesterday. Some of my saws are like children to me and I will never part with them.

Bill

Cut my teeth on a gear-drive Homelite 17. dang thing was pinched in a good-sized Norway pine log, grabbed, backed out, and nearly run over me! Chain speed was extremely slow, but with all the torque multiplication, you could jam the dogs into a log and reef that bar for all you were worth and still cut pretty well. Cut morning till night on one filing...and you didn't even really need to be much of a filer!

Had Homelites and Echoes along the way, but love them Jonsereds saws now.

My first saw was an "eager beaver," not enough power, sold it. In 1993 at the age of 13 saved all my income from January 1st until October 27th and bought the brand new model Stihl 039 despite not liking the plastic casing and wanting the 038 AV Magnum II, still not enough power, but I have only recently admited that it was a poor purchase. All in all it's been a good saw, even though most everyone on this site says it's not.

old blue homelite super xl. didnt even think about whether it was better or worse than others .it was just my saw.
i put it thru hell and i bet its still running ,where ever it is. the next was a 028 that a old fella had . it was to heavy for him and i got it for helping do a job.
both were bullet proof,so i guess i thot all saws were like that. until i picked up an poulan 2750. talk about a downer.
it was a cutting fool when i could keep it running and a chain on it.at least for the two wks i kept it.
:)

Well, I started off with a bad, big saw. A 1950's Mono with a 24" Oregon bar.:D Man, that thing did not wanna run very well, but I got it through a 12" Oak log. Was kinda hard with that heavy thing.:laugh::laugh:Oh by the way I was 14. I still try messing with old saws like Mac's and Homelites.

Robert

It was 1978 , an Mac 850, took a pocket full of bolts and nuts just to keep the vibrating thing together , was dependable though.

If you're feeling nostalgic, I have a Hornet electric in my garage right now. You're dead on about the oiler. Name your price!

Originally posted by John in MA

My first was a Wen Hornet electric. Pukey thing with an oiler that never worked right. First gas was an Allis-Chalmers 195. Sold that a while back on eBay.

Long way from a flimsy plug-in to something targeted at the Pacific Northwest.

Started cutting junk around the house in the early seventies when I was a pre-teen with an old Homelite from my fathers days with Tree Pres. in the earley sixties. Don`t even know what it was, just is big, heavy, and slow and says EZ on the side. About '76 Dad bought a new 041AV which I used until I got serious about dropping trees and I bought a new Echo 750EVL in the spring of '80 I think it was. Since then it has been a succession of Echos, Stihls, Huskies, and Solos. A life long addiction for the finer things in life, LOL. Now I`m waiting for my latest addition, a PPT260 with 5' extension which makes it a 17' chainsaw, wahoo! Too bad I had to order it because I could really use it right now. Russ

Originally posted by reiterch
If you're feeling nostalgic, I have a Hornet electric in my garage right now. You're dead on about the oiler. Name your price!

Thanks but no thanks. :) I donated the Hornet to the local scrap bin late last year.

My real dad's Poulan 306 made me love the smell of freshly cut wood, though I was too small to use it.

My step fathers Super EZ automatic was my first true love. Late 70's model, it is one fine saw. I cant wait until he donates it to me. I will restore it to brand spanking new. It just needs some paint

Latest posts

Back