YOUR INPUT......WHAT about a Husky 394XP ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning this saw up

Bump start it :laugh:

hAS BEEN time consuming this afternoon. lots of black oil buildup on the inside of the covers.

The rope is broke. THE pulley comes out? (like stihl) i guess. Looking for a rope. the motor turns over but I hear a vacuum sound under the flywheel ?. May be the decomp I dont know.

I have never seen so much grease buildup inside a saw. :confused: Puzzling. esp. around the flwheel.

hAS BEEN time consuming this afternoon. lots of black oil buildup on the inside of the covers.

The rope is broke. THE pulley comes out? (like stihl) i guess. Looking for a rope. the motor turns over but I hear a vacuum sound under the flywheel ?. May be the decomp I dont know.

I have never seen so much grease buildup inside a saw. :confused: Puzzling. esp. around the flwheel.

Grease around the flywheel.... possibly needing crank seals.... or... spilled bar oil sucked in maybe? Just guesses on my part...

I recently sold a nice one for $450, I should have asked for more...:bang:

Anyway the sucking sound you hear is probably the decomp, it's on the fly wheel side. You can gently pry it out with a small screwdriver to see if the noise stops.
Get her running, but don't run it too long, it may overheat if it's as nasty as you describe. Pull the starter, top, and clutch covers, clean all the crud from around the flywheel, the starter vent slots and cylinder cooling fins. I use a screwdriver, parts brush, super clean and a garden hose then blow it dry with compressed air, the compressed air also helps dislodge any crud you may have missed. Be sure to run it afterwards to get it good and warm to ensure any water is gone, you don't want to leave any water anywhere, especially in the bottom end.

I still have a very nice 394, Its my big saw, and I doubt I'll ever sell it, I didn't need two of them so the other one went. I liked them better than the 288 I had, and I liked the 288 a lot.
The 394 has that same great poppity pop, slow & low idle that my 288 had.:rock:

Last edited:
working on this

As others have said get it cleaned up first, even careful use of a high pressure cleaner to get the worst crud away.

cleaning more and some more

turning this engine over by hand, with the de-comp button in or out it makes an air noise coming from under the flwheel.

the bearing seems snug but I hear air.

HELP!:rock: CRANK SEAL? 394 are there parts available I bet this saw was mfg. about 2000 or earlier I cant find a ser#

any serious comments are welcomed.

John

The 394 is very similar to the 395 and many parts are shared. Crank seals should be no problem. The serial number should be on a black tag by the oil filler. The first number is usually the year, next pair the week of the year, and the last 4 digits is the unit number.

Last edited:
Back