Your Most Expensive Single Tree Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you don't charge sales tax watch out i just gave the state of new jersey 11k for the years of 04 and 05 and half of 06. I had no idea that we had to pay sales tax on pruning work, I know that removals with stump are a capital improv. so thats not taxable .
We don't get to tax labor here. But we get to pay taxes.

Is that not a blow from the fat cats?
monkeyBNPS0108_468x413.jpg

Last edited:
Tax is GOOD! It's what helps make a country great. It's fair here too in Texas I only have to charge 8.25% sales tax. In the UK VAT (value added tax which is sales tax) was set at 15% used to drive customers mad. Tax is one of the reasons we have free health care in the UK.

The taxing of alcohol in the UK is RID-IC-U-LOUS I find it much easier to be alcoholic here in Texas.

750ml of Jim Beam in England 25 pounds. 2.75L of Jim Beam in Texas $23.99 hic! I love it.

Tax is GOOD! It's what helps make a country great. It's fair here too in Texas I only have to charge 8.25% sales tax. In the UK VAT (value added tax which is sales tax) was set at 15% used to drive customers mad. Tax is one of the reasons we have free health care in the UK.

The taxing of alcohol in the UK is RID-IC-U-LOUS I find it much easier to be alcoholic here in Texas.

750ml of Jim Beam in England 25 pounds. 2.75L of Jim Beam in Texas $23.99 hic! I love it.

I understand now why you ended with "Dope on a Rope". You make no sense.
Jeff

Taxes

I don't mind paying taxes, once for each transaction. I pay taxes on my revenue. It is unfair to also apply a tax the service as well which results in double taxation for the same transaction. Furthermore the value of our services is difficult to put a number on. Our costs and profits are all over, to apply a firm percentage tax to a service that has a variable value makes little sense as well. My real beef with taxing services is that in this business, in my experience, customers would not accept the tax and would expect the entity providing the service to lower their prices accordingly. Just my view from a state that doesn't tax services.

I was just wondering how much some of you guys have grossed on a single tree? I've never been able to get more then $3500 for one tree.
Prices in my area are pretty low compared to other parts of the country. :cry:

$5700 for a 90' X 75' honey locust over 4 backyards and a greenhouse!

Hydro was turned off for us at no extra charge...power company was happy tp see her come down!

charged $750 to remove the stump and mulch after too. We had 4 guys on site - was all done and cleaned up in 1.5 days.

before i ran my company i worked for the big boys davey, bartlett and a few others we did one for a lady not gonna say who but her husband was a CEO of a very large billion dollar corp and i think the job was around 65,000. we where thier for like 3-4 weeks probably took out around 20 trees. the office i worked out of was huge they grossed over 7mill the year i left.

Not my biggest paying job but the $610 I made in an hour and a half today wasn't bad. Sprayed 43 trees and fertilized 15 and never had to leave the ground or drag a limb. I love the cheese cake days. :D

I have done a number of $7500. tk downs in the last couple of years. Maybe has become my threshold for nasties. But a number of years ago I cut a tree in half for $10k. It dropped a lead and squashed the house next to it and as it was hit with a downshear it had 3 more split leads, one of which was gonna squash the rest of the house to the ground.

Totally did not want the job as I risked my life 140 feet up in the air doing the crane thing where you hook the the lead to the ball, come down off the climb line, unhook from the ball, buck in and then cut it off and let the crane take it away. Had to take the lead in 3 sections with a 50 ton crane set up far away. If the lead on any of the three sections broke off while I was attached, esp the giant one over the main part of the house, while I was bucked in, it would have tipped over the crane, and me , and the crane would have ended up in the middle of the house.

Tree is still alive and kicking ....500 year old bur oak increment core measured. 480 years old in '88.

$5500 White ash. Fell in storm onto a house 10' away. Came down so hard that 25' leads in the top snapped off and landed in front of the 3 story house without so much as touching the roof. Had the crane guy come out. Took maybe 5 hours but the thing was huge. Many agreed it to be the biggest ash in the county. Crane guy said the bottom 15' weighed in at over 11000lbs. 5 in a half foot dbh. Easy tree with a crane. Lotsa good firewood on that one. Did 4 willows for the city today. Made a new 1 day record. $12000.00. Gotta go back for one more load of logs tomorrow. Will post pic's of that one as soon as the neighbor gets em' to me if I can find someone to walk me thru it. Guy said he took over 200 pics. Wont break that record for at least ten years. hehe

11 huge pines, 150 ft x 4-5 ft DBH, in new york, first county northwest of NYC. 100 ton crane. Had to close the road and lift trunk sections over the power distribution lines- three phase 2700V. Power guys from Orange and Rockland didnt really like it, but I have some pull with the regional manager, so it wasnt a major problem (drinkin buddy- crown royal solves many problems). shut the road down to position the crane and lower the sections. chipped in the limbs into my father in laws 35 yd dump trailers pulled by his shiny new peterbilts. Hauled the logs 75 minutes north to the mill and made some bucks on the timber. 24K in 9 hours with 2 climbers (myself and another daredevil) and 4 groundies. My father in law gave me the trucks for the day for the cost of the fuel, and I threw his two drivers 300 bucks each for coming out on a saturday. had to deposit the check 3 times trying to get it to clear. finally had to contact the bank's branch manager and put a hold on the acct until i got my cash. Other than the delay in the check clearing, great job- for a development company that wanted to build yet another strip mall.

Back