Your Super XL and XL-12 stories and pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ol' Homie XL 12 have seen a resurgence in popularity lately. They certainly are easy enough to work on, I've recently repaired an early blue (I like the blue) and a later red automatic one.
Those old Homies sure have a LOUD bark, they'll peal paint off the house and clean the wax outta yer ears too...:msp_w00t:

Last edited:
A 60's blue XL-12 was the saw when I was a kid. We cut years of firewood with that before my father picked up a Husky 50 when we stripped the spark plug hole. That got repaired at some point and became the backup, and the saw that carried a 20" bar when we got in to something a little bigger... It was flawless for my whole life, until last fall... At that point it needed a fuel line, and carb kit (and brought me here). Took care of that, and now its back in the lineup when needed. I expect at least another 40 years before I have to work on it again...

I recently came in to an SXL while trying to help a friend... That will be the first in depth journey inside a saw... Piston is toast, so it will become a learning tool even if I can't save it...

There's just something about that XL-12 that feels right... Tie in to a tree with that thing barking and you can forget all the stupidity of the world, and just have some fun... (no worries about hearing the stupidity with it singing at any rate...)

It was the first saw I ever touched.

Grandpa and Uncle Gene used it to heat two houses for many years.

Back in those days you didn't take a camera when you made wood.

A few pictures of some of mine...

HomeliteSuperXLpowerhead005.jpg

J-redsaw003.jpg

HomeliteSuperXLbow008.jpg

Homelitesaws002.jpg

Pretty Sweet ChainedLightning.I've got one awaiting a resto but it's first in line after the 1010.
I see a couple of Guido's I'd take home with me as well.:smile2:

A 60's blue XL-12 was the saw when I was a kid. We cut years of firewood with that before my father picked up a Husky 50 when we stripped the spark plug hole. That got repaired at some point and became the backup, and the saw that carried a 20" bar when we got in to something a little bigger... It was flawless for my whole life, until last fall... At that point it needed a fuel line, and carb kit (and brought me here). Took care of that, and now its back in the lineup when needed. I expect at least another 40 years before I have to work on it again...

I recently came in to an SXL while trying to help a friend... That will be the first in depth journey inside a saw... Piston is toast, so it will become a learning tool even if I can't save it...

There's just something about that XL-12 that feels right... Tie in to a tree with that thing barking and you can forget all the stupidity of the world, and just have some fun... (no worries about hearing the stupidity with it singing at any rate...)
Right those saws do feel right. Only thing that gets me every time with them is that if I use a XL-12 for a while then switch to a SXL, I try and work the manual oiler on the SXL even tho it does not have one :laugh:. I guess its cause they feel identical. And it always seems like every other one that I come across that does not run has a burned up piston. Guess these saws are too easy to run lean for a lot of people. My Red SXL and XL-12 both have prefect pistons. Then my blue SXL and XL-12 have a few scratches, but nothing that will hurt anything. And the older ones with the rectangle muffler that you can see the piston through do make your ears bleed!!!

The OP wanted opinions and I will probaly get hung out to dry by the Homlite XL and SXL mutual admiration club .:D:D . Here goes nothing . I am not trying to step on any toes either.

I have had many of these saws over the years and have never been impressed with any one of them. What is the big deal about these saws anyway ???? They are so incredibly average, don't cut all that great just so so and is nothing to brag about, most of them won't run right or perform the way a good saw should work. If you come across one that comes close to working good it is a rare find because most of them suffer from bad bearings, sloppy cranks, crank seal problems, and bad carburation along with ignition problems. Most of these saws are not worth the time and parts to fix because there are so many of them around and as a rule don't have much of a resale value.

I will give these old Homelite XL some credit. Considering the abuse some of them go through they will manage to still start and run to some degree. They are also good for first time saw tinkerers

I probaly stepped on a few toes but this is just my opinion of the XL. Sorry if it is a bit on the negative side.

I will confess I have some in my junk pile and a couple on display that do run but they have a clearing bow bar and a regular bow bar on them and are basically conversation pieces or for when I get a wild hair to cut some wood with a bow.

The OP wanted opinions and I will probaly get hung out to dry by the Homlite XL and SXL mutual admiration club .:D:D . Here goes nothing . I am not trying to step on any toes either.

I have had many of these saws over the years and have never been impressed with any one of them. What is the big deal about these saws anyway ???? They are so incredibly average, don't cut all that great just so so and is nothing to brag about, most of them won't run right or perform the way a good saw should work. If you come across one that comes close to working good it is a rare find because most of them suffer from bad bearings, sloppy cranks, crank seal problems, and bad carburation along with ignition problems. Most of these saws are not worth the time and parts to fix because there are so many of them around and as a rule don't have much of a resale value.

I will give these old Homelite XL some credit. Considering the abuse some of them go through they will manage to still start and run to some degree. They are also good for first time saw tinkerers

I probaly stepped on a few toes but this is just my opinion of the XL. Sorry if it is a bit on the negative side.

I will confess I have some in my junk pile and a couple on display that do run but they have a clearing bow bar and a regular bow bar on them and are basically conversation pieces or for when I get a wild hair to cut some wood with a bow.

Really? Most of the ones that I have used performed great. I mean there not the fastest cutting saws but they sure have torque to back it up.You are honestly the only person that I heard from that did not like these saws...but everyone has their opinions.

not a huge fan myself...of the cutting of course. the experience is on par with running my S25's i love the bark and the smell...hell even a bit of vibration to make you feel alive...but i ran mine(red/black XL-12) for 2 hours and sold it, just didnt' float my boat if you know what i mean...very good loking saw though especially for that time period

problem was i took the xl-12 and the 3400 in the woods for thier first runs back to back. compared to the 3400 it was minced meat...had i just ran it without running the 3400 after it would still be sitting on the shelf with the others

Last edited:
Right those saws do feel right. Only thing that gets me every time with them is that if I use a XL-12 for a while then switch to a SXL, I try and work the manual oiler on the SXL even tho it does not have one :laugh:. I guess its cause they feel identical. And it always seems like every other one that I come across that does not run has a burned up piston. Guess these saws are too easy to run lean for a lot of people. My Red SXL and XL-12 both have prefect pistons. Then my blue SXL and XL-12 have a few scratches, but nothing that will hurt anything. And the older ones with the rectangle muffler that you can see the piston through do make your ears bleed!!!

You got a SXLAO without a manual over ride oiler on it? I dont think I have ever seen one without a manual oiler.

You forgot about the biggest drawback to those saws in my mind. The fact that on a hot day they will boil the gas in the tank because of that saws design. You better not run one out of gas when its hot and boiling either as it will vapor lock and you can forget about getting it started again till it cools off.

Back when my dad and I were cutting lots of wood he had a SXLAO that he swore by and swore at. I went with him with my Poulan 306A and we put alot of wood in the truck with those two.

Over the years I have had probably a dozen of the XL-12's and SXLAO's but I let each one go.

You got a SXLAO without a manual over ride oiler on it? I dont think I have ever seen one without a manual oiler.

You forgot about the biggest drawback to those saws in my mind. The fact that on a hot day they will boil the gas in the tank because of that saws design. You better not run one out of gas when its hot and boiling either as it will vapor lock and you can forget about getting it started again till it cools off.

Back when my dad and I were cutting lots of wood he had a SXLAO that he swore by and swore at. I went with him with my Poulan 306A and we put alot of wood in the truck with those two.

Over the years I have had probably a dozen of the XL-12's and SXLAO's but I let each one go.
Yea I do. Heres a pic of it View attachment 265106 (One on the right) most of the early blue SXL's had the manual oiler slot plugged with a flathead screw.

Good ol XLs!
Wish I still had all the ones iv let go of.

I had one i was bucking a huge white oak with. My dad rolled the log over on it. He was devastated. He knew i treasured that saw. Funny part was that when we rolled the log off the saw the only thing broken was the wrap handle and the bar was bent. Mind you, this was a 45" 10' white oak :rock:
I fixed it and ran the saw for awhile longer till i sold it.

Quick Question.. did xl12s come with full wraps?
Anyone have an xl12 for sale? ;)

I was going to mention that Mark but I decided to let it go. I just thought it would be best to not come down too hard on the saw.

Chain, get your hands on a GOOD running 360 Pro Homelite. I guarentee you will throw rocks at that XL and see what I am talking about. The 360 and the XL are about the same vintage and engine displacement. The 360 was a very advanced saw for it's time and still rivels many of todays saws with it's speed , torque and anti-vib mounts . I can get one of these saws up and running good with no problems compared to the XL's. The 360 is a much more complicated saw to work on but is worth it to me

I have no idea what a new 360 cost back in the day, nor do I have a clue about the XL . I am assuming the 360 was alot more because of the pro features and the XL was more of a consumer type saw.

If you look at today's e-bay prices both saws bring about the same money in average condition . I would buy the 360 before the XL.

I was going to mention that Mark but I decided to let it go. I just thought it would be best to not come down too hard on the saw.

Chain, get your hands on a GOOD running 360 Pro Homelite. I guarentee you will throw rocks at that XL and see what I am talking about. The 360 and the XL are about the same vintage and engine displacement. The 360 was a very advanced saw for it's time and still rivels many of todays saws with it's speed , torque and anti-vib mounts . I can get one of these saws up and running good with no problems compared to the XL's. The 360 is a much more complicated saw to work on but is worth it to me

I have no idea what a new 360 cost back in the day, nor do I have a clue about the XL . I am assuming the 360 was alot more because of the pro features and the XL was more of a consumer type saw.

If you look at today's e-bay prices both saws bring about the same money in average condition . I would buy the 360 before the XL.

Well I had a 330...rebuilt that myself with new crankseals and a boot. Boy that was the worst investment I have ever made. Had no power even with a pro tune up. I sold that and bought my first XL-12. That XL-12 put the 330 to shame. And yes I have heard of those 360s being good saws (yea I know the 330 is on a different planet compared to the 360). I have a 80cc C7 that runs great. I am just looking for a bar and chain for it. I bet that would destroy a 360 ;) I just have a few of the XLs cause that is and was a very popular saw in my area and you tend to find them a lot in garage sales and scrap yards. Mostly because the carb is dirty, bad line, or dirty points. They are just a easy fix and work fine for what I use them for...firewood.

the 360's i have had the pleasure of running are HEAVY even more so than my echo 660, if i had set my xl up like i set my older echo's (torque) with low rakers and a brand new chain it would have run much better than it did. idk if i'd throw rocks at an xl over a 360(if it was orange and said 365 i would haha). i've taken my 3400 over both, but between the two (360-vs-xl)i'd get the xl ported. plus i just did a isolator job on one 2 weeks ago and all the pegs snapped off in all the a/v rubbers in multiple peices...left a bad taste :mad2: don't get me wrong they run strong just for the weight...lets just say it's like the ms290's predecessor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back