Your Super XL and XL-12 stories and pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few of these. I really liked the one I saw a few years ago that Buzz Sawyer brought to a small GTG and decided I needed one. Never stops at one, does it?

This is one I picked up at the solicited urging of Eccentric. It is my favorite and the favorite of Mrs. Rudedog. It runs strong and I do use it to cut down rounds that are too long for the splitter.

Another runner I use on occasion.
attachment.php

Garage Queen.
attachment.php

Project saw that starts but leaks fuel badly from the carb. I have just not gotten to it yet.

Happy to be of service Randy. I see that you also have a redheaded better half. Does the pic of your lady holding the saw signify that she's NOT totally against the influence that your friend on the west coast has had on you? My most treasured saw in my collection is the blue XL-12 (now 'super-ized' with a P/C from an SXL) that Mrs Eccentric bought me for my birthday in 2007.

100_2134.jpg

100_2133.jpg

Worth puting up the pics again.:D

Hey Twin Brother Eccentric...

The photo of Z50's above has really jogged my memory!!!:clap: This is exactly the sticker I had on mine on the left/recoil spring side!!
Red/Homelite.....Silver/Super XL.....Black/Automatic.....that's it !!

.....So, What is the original bar, sprocket, and chain......mine came with a smaller bar......I've still got that bar and chain too.
I know I'll never live this down......but what is that metal claw up front called? I grips the log when cutting with a bar...I want one!!

Thanks,
Cus'n Grin

Cus'n Grin..........my guess is that your saw came with a 16" hardnose (like what's in my pics above), a 59DL loop of 3/8" semi-chisel, and a 7 tooth spur sprocket from the factory. The 'claw' is called a "bucking spike, "spikes", "dogs", or "dawgs" depending on who you talk to here. I usually say "spike" or "spikes".

I don't think she would ever buy me another saw. But she doesn't give me grief about them either. She bought me a little Poulan 2000 in 1985 from the local True Value hardware store. My first saw. At the time I just considered it one of her wacky gift ideas.........little did I know.

Thanks TBE....

But being from GEORGIA.......I think you should start calling " THEM DAWGS!! ".....not spikes.

...Cus'n Grits

I did something today that I thought I would never ever do since I sold my last running SXL many years ago. I actually bought one and the next worst thing was I paid more for this saw than I ever paid for one. I wanted a good runner that I didn't have to do any work to it for that big bow I posted a pic of earlier in the thread. I put the word out awhile ago to my different saw shops I deal with and my other sources for used saws and parts.. The local saw shop located one for me, little on the pricey side but they checked it out before calling me.

When I first replied to this thread I didn't have much as far as good runnings XL saws. After some tinkering and parts changing I now have three and the new one I just bought which makes four that run decent. Two blue ones and two red ones. All four of these saws have one thing in common, they all have a Homelite SDC carb which I found to be more than just a coinsedence to me. I didn't have to touch one of these carbs at all ,no kits ,no cleaning no nothing to do to them and most of these carbs have been sitting around for years in the part saws I had. I did have to prime a couple of them but after that they all made the saw I put them on have a good steady idle, and nice acceleration . The Tilly's and Zama I just couldn't make work as good .

I know this isn't all that informative it was just odd to me that a SDC carb could make a difference in these Homelites. I am just happy I got my little bow saw project kind of done with updated saws that run good with auto oilers and the manuel oiler.

Ohh, I am still not a big fan of these saws :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin: maybe some day I'll come around.

I did something today that I thought I would never ever do since I sold my last running SXL many years ago. I actually bought one and the next worst thing was I paid more for this saw than I ever paid for one. I wanted a good runner that I didn't have to do any work to it for that big bow I posted a pic of earlier in the thread. I put the word out awhile ago to my different saw shops I deal with and my other sources for used saws and parts.. The local saw shop located one for me, little on the pricey side but they checked it out before calling me.

When I first replied to this thread I didn't have much as far as good runnings XL saws. After some tinkering and parts changing I now have three and the new one I just bought which makes four that run decent. Two blue ones and two red ones. All four of these saws have one thing in common, they all have a Homelite SDC carb which I found to be more than just a coinsedence to me. I didn't have to touch one of these carbs at all ,no kits ,no cleaning no nothing to do to them and most of these carbs have been sitting around for years in the part saws I had. I did have to prime a couple of them but after that they all made the saw I put them on have a good steady idle, and nice acceleration . The Tilly's and Zama I just couldn't make work as good .

I know this isn't all that informative it was just odd to me that a SDC carb could make a difference in these Homelites. I am just happy I got my little bow saw project kind of done with updated saws that run good with auto oilers and the manuel oiler.

Ohh, I am still not a big fan of these saws :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin: maybe some day I'll come around.

Ohh nooo you don't. I seen how much passion you put into that post :hmm3grin2orange:. Lets see I have two XL-12s and two SXLs. A blue one of each. I have two Tiltsons...both on the blue ones. And the red XL-12 has a Zama and the red SXL has a Walboro. All run great. I really don't think that the different brand of carbs have to do with running or not. I mean they all ran good when new? Probably just need a new kit or to be cleaned. Very rarely I have seen a bad carb. At least they don't have limiters on them.

Last edited:
Any carb I don't have to take apart to make a saw run good is a good carb to me.:hmm3grin2orange:If it is one thing I hate to do is work on a chain saw carburator.

The SDC's are actually Walbro carbs. Walbro branded carbs for 'big players' such as Homelite and McCulloch. I've seen several SDC's with "Homelite" and "McCulloch stamped on them. As for the Homelite/Walbro SDC being more resistant to crapping out than the Zama or Tillotson.............I just don't see it. Your SDC carbs just 'lucked out' and were treated better (or left sitting with less crappy gas) than the other ones. My favorite carbs on these saws are the Tillotson HS's, closely followed by the Walbro/Homelite SDC's...................with the Zama's WAY down on the bottom.

Some trivia:
The first chainsaw to be equipped with the SDC was the Homelite XL101. First chainsaw with the Tillotson HS was the XL-12. First saw with the Walbro HDC was the Homelite E-Z. First chainsaw with a Tillotson HL was the 1955 vintage Homelite EZ (no hyphen).

At least you're giving these saws more of a fair shake. Who knows.............I may end up with a 360 at some point, although it isn't likely. They just don't come up as cheap/free saws around here. Heck, they aren't that common at all in my area for some reason. I've passed up at least 15-20 Homelite 330 saws on my local CL over the last couple years. Probably only been 5 360's during that time frame, and they all have been overpriced. It's that dang "professional" decal on the saws methinks...:D

Last edited:
After looking at Arrons very nice XL112 it reminded me of my FIL and that he cut timber for 25 years with the Homelite saws, mostly XL12 and the SuperXL`s. I have a truckoad of his old ones here that I need to get some of them going again. This one is very low hours and only needed fuel lines replaced.

Christmas%25202010%2520277.jpg

Christmas%25202010%2520269.jpg

Christmas%25202010%2520273.jpg
Christmas%25202010%2520274.jpg

Any carb I don't have to take apart to make a saw run good is a good carb to me.:hmm3grin2orange:If it is one thing I hate to do is work on a chain saw carburator.

Really? I always kind of liked working on carbs. It was one thing that I am better at. Its one of those things where you never know what your gonna find when you open them up. Then that feeling of satisfaction when you put it all back together and it runs the way it is suppose to. One of the best feelings.

Jerry your FIL's saw there is sweet. I remember seeing some pics you've posted of some of the other Homelites that used to belong to your FIL. He was quite the Homelite man.:msp_thumbup:

I don't at all mind working on SDC and HS carbs (or most other Saw carbs). My favorite carbs to work on are the Tillotson HL's. Big, robust parts are easier to handle with big hands...:D

The only carbs I really don't like very much are Walbro HDB's. The integrated metering lever/pivot/plate assembly and the LITTLE screens and retaining rings irritate me a tad. No big deal. There is one aspect to working on SXL carbs that DOES bug me. Getting the carb/carb screws/gasket back into an SXL is a bit tricky, as there is just not quite enough room in there between the reed block and the back of the carb box (the flat reed saws in the series are MUCH easier). Like putting 5 lbs of stuff into a 3 lbs bag....:censored:

There is one aspect to working on SXL carbs that DOES bug me. Getting the carb/carb screws/gasket back into an SXL is a bit tricky, as there is just not quite enough room in there between the reed block and the back of the carb box (the flat reed saws in the series are MUCH easier). Like putting 5 lbs of stuff into a 3 lbs bag....:censored:

This is one of the reasons I am not a big fan of the XL is trying to get those carbs to fit into the air box. I did find a short cut that makes it a little easier . I back the H&L screws out of the carb body then undo those 5/16 ths screws. After putting in the carb and get it lined up and screwed down I put the needles back in . Makes life a little easier working on those saws.

Concerning the Homelite 330. I agree with you. The saw shop I got my recent XL from had one for parts. No way would I buy that saw. I didn't like the way it was put together and it looked hard to work on and no one seems to have any thing good to say about them.

That's just about the only complaint I have about any of the saws in that series (well that and the fickle 'blue coil' electronic ignitions in the later saws). No design is 'perfect'. The problem comes from the fact that the carb box size was dictated by the original XL-12 design.

The flat reed manifold leaves plenty of room to manipulate the carb, throttlle link, screws, and gasket into place. When they added the larger pyramid reed block it took up more room. Redesigning the carb box to more easily fit the 'new' reed block setup would have meant a different AF and AF cover as well. It's liveable, but a bit tricky. I usually seat the needles all the way in and that gives me enough clearance/wiggle room on the side.

That's just about the only complaint I have about any of the saws in that series (well that and the fickle 'blue coil' electronic ignitions in the later saws). No design is 'perfect'. The problem comes from the fact that the carb box size was dictated by the original XL-12 design.

The flat reed manifold leaves plenty of room to manipulate the carb, throttlle link, screws, and gasket into place. When they added the larger pyramid reed block it took up more room. Redesigning the carb box to more easily fit the 'new' reed block setup would have meant a different AF and AF cover as well. It's liveable, but a bit tricky. I usually seat the needles all the way in and that gives me enough clearance/wiggle room on the side.

I always take out the jets before I put the carb back in. Then after I get the carb in and hooked up I guide in the jets with needle nose pliers. Works perfect every time.

Jerry your FIL's saw there is sweet. I remember seeing some pics you've posted of some of the other Homelites that used to belong to your FIL. He was quite the Homelite man.:msp_thumbup:

I don't at all mind working on SDC and HS carbs (or most other Saw carbs). My favorite carbs to work on are the Tillotson HL's. Big, robust parts are easier to handle with big hands...:D

The only carbs I really don't like very much are Walbro HDB's. The integrated metering lever/pivot/plate assembly and the LITTLE screens and retaining rings irritate me a tad. No big deal. There is one aspect to working on SXL carbs that DOES bug me. Getting the carb/carb screws/gasket back into an SXL is a bit tricky, as there is just not quite enough room in there between the reed block and the back of the carb box (the flat reed saws in the series are MUCH easier). Like putting 5 lbs of stuff into a 3 lbs bag....:censored:

He made a good living and raised three daughters working the woods of Cumberland County running only Homelite saws. One of my first memories with him was going to the Homelite dealer with him to buy a blue n white XL12 like the one I posted. The saw I posted a pict of was not one of his, that one came to me from BC Canada. I have 14-15 of his I still need to get up and running along with a dozen or more carcasses that have been parts picked. His 663 and the 923 both run nicely.

He made a good living and raised three daughters working the woods of Cumberland County running only Homelite saws. One of my first memories with him was going to the Homelite dealer with him to buy a blue n white XL12 like the one I posted. The saw I posted a pict of was not one of his, that one came to me from BC Canada. I have 14-15 of his I still need to get up and running along with a dozen or more carcasses that have been parts picked. His 663 and the 923 both run nicely.

Good old saws. If this was 1960 or 70 something thats all I would run too. Wait a minute....thats all I really run now :laugh:.Thats really all I can afford but honestly I would run any old Homelite over most newer saws today anyways.

Good old saws. If this was 1960 or 70 something thats all I would run too. Wait a minute....thats all I really run now :laugh:.Thats really all I can afford but honestly I would run any old Homelite over most newer saws today anyways.

Demographics sort of decided what saws we got to run/use back in those days. We had a Pioneer dealer and that was all within a 45-50 mile range either side of us. My dad and I therefore owned Pioneers and ran them for 25 years. In my uncles neck of the woods it was Mc Culloch , same deal, only one dealer in a very wide ranging area, he ran/owned McCullochs and my FIL was about the same deal but also got a cut on prices through the mill and company he worked for.

Back