Your take on flame coloring..?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goanin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
http://www.kyantec.com/Tips/flame_colorers_for_firewood.htm

These salts that burn with beautiful colored flames, attack metal. So they don't reccomend using metal cookware to make solutions, but they didn't mention the stove itself in the context. So that's one concern.
The second concern is polution. Do these chemicals emit harmful gases when heated and burned?

But it sounds beautiful. Any reason not to try it?

Last edited:
burned wood makes CO@ & H2O water plus salt is corrosive to metal. fireplace is brick & mortar

Toss in a 16" piece of copper pipe. You will get your color flames and is reusable.

Roger

If I want to see a lot of colors I turn on the television. I like the fire's colors as they are. The fire doesn't have progressive insurance commercials every 10 minutes that make me want to kill.

Toss in a 16" piece of copper pipe. You will get your color flames and is reusable.

Roger
maybe unwise= current pressure treated wood is treated with copper & ss nails are required. steel nails will corrode from electrolytic interaction between copper & steel.

I dunno ...if it were for me and mine and we liked the pretty colors I'd go ahead and burn the crystals anyway.

Do it!

fireplace is brick & mortar

Yeah, most are. Then there are those pesky details of chimneys, or chimney liners, and... oh, yeah. I think I've seen a few woodstoves that were built with steel. Somebody just MIGHT be interested in this issue for a wood stove.

With a EPA certified unit and a glass door you see alot of different colors. When we had the old woodfurnace, I would burn the hot shots to help break down the creosote. They contained magnesium I think that when burned turned colors.

Roger

We use a piece of 1" copper pipe with holes drilled all over it. Insert a piece of old garden hose and you get nice color that lasts awhile. Another easy way is to just toss an old string of mini xmas lights into the fire. Not sure I would do either of these methods inside, but it is cool in the campfire occasionally.

Back