your thoughts on a small saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Reynolds

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a good friend who is looking at buying a small yard saw. He does not want to spend to much on it but he would like to have a reliable saw. He wants a 16 inch bar and has looked a some of the huskys but thought it was a bit steep. the purpose of the saw is just homeowner yard work mostly just for cutting trees up for firewood. If anyone has ideas of a saw that will get the job done please post it or send me a message. thanks Sam

I purchased my Echo 3450 off of eBay, new, for about $200. There's alot of them out there - 33cc, 16", and responds well to opening up the muffler. Its a good little saw that I use for small stuff.

If he wants a cheap-o, Harbour Freight Tools has McCulloch 34cc saw's reconditioned for $79 on sale from time to time. A friend bought one, and likes it for what it is. It even has an adjustable carb. Parts are another issue all together, but if you want cheap, they're cheap. And his runs just fine.

Hi Sam, glad to see that you have learned how to post:p Tell your friend to call Bailey's as they have almost like new demo saws for sale. You should be able to get one at a good price.

Tell your friend to crack open his wallet a little wider and buy a name brand like Sthil, Husky or Echo. The other brands have problems with starting, if they do start they don't run worth a darn. Most people that go the cheap route the first time end up buying the top brands the second time around anyway. A couple hundred bucks isn't that outrageous for a good saw that will last and get used more than he thinks.

If your freind is really that cheap maybe he should be looking at some thing with a cord on it. That way he doesn't have to be buying gas and mix.

I hate to say this, but I tend agree with Rocky on these cheap saw threads, it's even more annoying to recieve phone calls on this same subject.

The people here earn their money with good reliable tools such as top name expensive chain saws. So how in the heck can we say which is the best cheap brand when we don't even use tools like this.

I got no problem with that post Rocky. Must be the time change, that extra hour does wonders for a person.

Ax, maybe its me but I could have sworn that YOU were asking the same questions a little while ago!?? YOU were asking a lot of ''newbie to saws" questions your self.

Rocky; Why not use your expertise to explain to him that the seemingly "a bit steep" price of the Husky would be worth it if, as he said, "wants a reliable saw"
Do we really want to make the AS Forum that exclusive, that newbie questions are dismissed out of hand or ridiculed?
That seemed a bit rough to me on a first time poster.

Frank

Ryan,

The only thing I've put up on this site in regards to 2 strokes was in the PP thread. That was concerning Sthil's new four stroke engine on the H T 101, and the Thechnic, Echo PP hybrid.

I made a comment on the 046 ( MS 460 ) but that is about it, that I know of. I been a Sthil fan ever since they were introduced in our area. I've got more Sthil saws than I have time to work on and keep running properly, and a few other Sthil pieces like blowers and clearing saws. I got no reason to be asking " newbie to saw " type questions.

I'm sure you got me mixed up with some one else.

Last edited:
Hey, the guy asked for cheap, I gave him cheap. I aim to please.
If your going to dpend a little, I have to agree Echo's are great occasional use saws. However, Dolmar makes the PS-34 that can be had for $200. I don't have one, but a buddy does, and really likes it.

I'm not to hammer him, but I found Rocky's thread to be rather elitist. There's something to be said for little cheap saws. Considering that everyone using a saw has to start somewhere, I'd rather blow up an $80 Homelite than toast a pro Stihl or Husky.

I cut my teeth on a 60cc Craftsman that I still find worthwhile enough to drop a set of rings in. (At least parts are easy to get for this saw.) My friend cut around 16 cords/yr with a couple of little Homelites for years before he replaced his blown up 045 with a J-red 670.

Nevertheless, I'm not offended. I like Crofter's assertion that this forum should serve to educate folks and steer them towards better saws.

Chris B.

Sam,
Your friend will have to make his decision based upon his budget, but if he goes with the 3 you mentioned, he'll do well, and will likely have service handy when needed.

But whatever he ends up considering, suggest strongly that he not buy a top-handled saw for stand-up work, on the ground, in the yard.

My dad bought a MS170 to go with his 031 and 034 and loves the hell out of it. At 77 years young it's about time he got something a little lighter.

I really hate to recommend a good saw to someone who is going to use once ever year or two because it's not going to run well for them whether it's a cheap or expensive saw. It's going to sit in the corner of the garage with old stale gas, that wasn't mixed properly anyway, in it and it's going to ruin anyway. Then their going to say, "I knew those expensive Stihls/Huskys weren't any good I should have just bought a green Poulan".

For what it is worth, I was sent to this forum (by a member of this forum) while I was at a different forum. I am very glad they did. It has been a wealth of info. I have learned a lot from the advise and links given out by many members i.e. osha sites, madsens ect. I recently cut several cedars and had them milled for a fence I am going to build. I am happy to say that due to some of the tips and insight from this site every tree fell exactly where I intended it to fall. Not that I was terible or anything at falling but I could definatly tell there was improvent. What I am getting at is I am by no means a pro and would not have benifited if my questions were not answered. I do totally agree with newer people starting with a lesser (cheap) saw. Not to say that I never get my bar pinched, but when I first got my "wonderful" homelite z3850b or whatever from Wal-mart, it was funny how often I got my bar completly stuck. I am working my up. I have a husky 350 and an echo 670. Not top of the line but suit my needs just fine. I learned a lot fom that homelite saw and to appreciate what I have now. Us non-pro's appreciate the advise from this site.

I can speak from experience that I was "ripped" by one of the regulars of this forum for my naive questions-being a "newbie".
It stung and my feelings were certainly hurt-but I'm a big boy and got over it.
I also had the pleasure of meeting one of the regulars to this forum. He came to my house and went into the woods with me and gave me some invalueable advise on running and maintaining a chain saw. He brought his saws and some of his maintinance tools. Whenever he showed me how to use one, he would ask "do you have one" and if I said no-he replied "here take this one". I feel that there is nothing more honorable than passing on knowledge and I really felt that I had met an honorable man.
People that use the forums to express their misguided anger are kidding themselves. If someone wants to know, even for his friend, what would be an inexpensive small saw-why wouldn't you go to the experts. I will, until they bar "newbies", and if I offend someone with innocent questions- don't reply. My opinion.
Paul

Back