your thoughts on a small saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mistake, it was on another forum by a regular of this forum, I however, do not "make things up" .

I would buy a Stihl,Husqvarna or Echo homeowner saw.There good for occasional light to moderate use,cutting up tops and small diameter wood.I have a little 021 that's sweet to use and,in my opinion purchased new,was well worth the Stihl price.

If your friend is going to use his saw on quit a bit of wood over 10" diameter a larger displacement saw would be better.

Rick

For what it's worth, I started personal firewood cutting with a bow saw and axe. If it's not that much wood the exercise will do him/her good. Talk about dependable...
Another option is to think about an electric chainsaw...again if it's not that much wood. Not as dependable as the basic tools if chain sharpening is a problem, more expensive, personal protective equipment should be purchased and used, and limited by the power cord.
Then, there's the gasoline mix chainsaw. The fuel must be run out before storage, the mix will go bad in three months and must be disposed, the chain must be maintained, and like the electric, PPE should be purchased & used.
As for brand of saw, see posts by Grateful & Rocky.

small saws

No matter what saw you get, learn to sharpen the chain, buy the tools ( file and guide ) to sharpen the chain by hand and learn how to use them. 90% of the homeowner saws I see need the chain sharpened aside from a little maintainance like the dust blown out of the air filter, dirt and sawdust blown out of the clutch area and clean the rails so the oiler works again and flip the bar over. Most don't know the bar works upside down. The saw is only as good as the maintainance it gets. I have to agree that "newbie" saw users are tuff on their saws until they learn not to dig trenches with their saw. A little instruction on "how to" would make a difference between do they think they have a good saw or a bad saw.

Upside down, and "bars" kind of are related topics, aren't they?
I am glad you all are starting to lighten up a little on this thread.
I thought I was going to have to step in and instigate, and
digress a little......

Rocky you mentioned the homeowner "crap" that they sell at Lowes.... I have a Husky 350 that is a very smooth and reliable saw. Has never given me a problem but has payed for itself 3 times over. I am not sure if I would jump too quick to call it "crap". Just my opinion.
-Brad

Hi Rocky.
It was not my intent to portray myself as a smartass, nor to make a statement just to prove someone wrong. My intentions were specifically to point out that for someone to say that Lowes sells "homeowners crap" as you put it, is false in my opinion and to chip in a good word for most of the equipment that Lowes sells. I buy most of my lawn equipment (with the exception of my John Deeres and New Hollands, the bigger tractors) from Lowes, and they all have served me well. And this goes for most of the other farmers in my town. Don't be so quick to slam Lowes. Thats all I am saying. Just because they dont sell 066 Magnums or 3120s doesnt mean they sell crap. Just my opinion.
Peace...

"I just got ripped on another board recently for claiming that Craftsman equipment is relabeled junk".
That was in a response to my question about obtaining a manual for my 7o's radial arm saw. Rocky went on a tangent about craftsman and it's poor quality. I was looking for a manual-that's all. I think the moderators eventually deleted his posts.
Paul

Last edited:
My favorite saw would be a souped-up 026 with a 16" bar. :)

stihl-026%20C.jpg

Back