Your Thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul001

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Back ground, the saw came to me after a customer picked up from another shop. Was taken is because it was idling poorly.

Tell me what ya'll see.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll try and post up better pictures later. This particular camera sucks :)

BTW, the cylinder has no scratches or marks at all.

Actually, without being able to see the top of the piston, not really a fair question.

Piston is on correctly, it was the original piston.

The top of the piston shows 3 indents, inline with the 3 gouges. Those indents happen to match up to one of those little orange handle still screwdrivers. Best I can tell someone attempted to use it as a piston stop...

Customer claims he never took the muffler off. Never attempted to work on the saw himself. The cylinder had zero scratches on it...which tells me the saw was not running.

It's back together now. New Piston, the clutch side crank seal replaced, looks like that was the original issue. I did need to touch up the top of the exhaust port...surprise, surprise it had three indent...

I'll toss the piston in the truck tonight and bring it home. Post up some better pictures of it later on.

Friggen hacks...

Actually, without being able to see the top of the piston, not really a fair question.

Piston is on correctly, it was the original piston.

The top of the piston shows 3 indents, inline with the 3 gouges. Those indents happen to match up to one of those little orange handle still screwdrivers. Best I can tell someone attempted to use it as a piston stop...

Customer claims he never took the muffler off. Never attempted to work on the saw himself. The cylinder had zero scratches on it...which tells me the saw was not running.

It's back together now. New Piston, the clutch side crank seal replaced, looks like that was the original issue. I did need to touch up the top of the exhaust port...surprise, surprise it had three indent...

I'll toss the piston in the truck tonight and bring it home. Post up some better pictures of it later on.

Friggen hacks...

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that someone used a little orange handled stihl screwdriver throught the exhaust port as a piston stop?

Latest posts

Back