Your Thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbutler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:chainsaw:Originally Posted by gbutler
I am looking at 2 saws and thought i'd try to get some input.

Sthil MS 260 Pro and MS 361
Saw will be used to trim palm trees and oaks at home but I recently bought an acre of land in the country that is wooded - Palms Oaks and brush I want to clear on weekends to eventually put a weekend home there. After it is cleared It will be used mostly for cutting firewood.

I looked at both and am leaning towards the 260 pro as it is 3 lbs lighter and at almost 50 years old weigning 160 lbs thought it might help in working a day cutting with the lighter weight but dont want to buy a saw that is under capacity. Both have a 20 inch bar on them and the price difference to me is in not a concern.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

The 260 will be fine with 16" b&c, 20" is just too much for that saw and takes the great handling away. It is a awesome limbing saw with the 16".

The 361 is more of a "one saw plan". It can run a 20" b&c and is stihl light enough to limb with if needed. It will be a better felling bucking saw due to more power.

This may sound crazy but you might end up getting two saws for your needs. A 50cc and 70cc pair is hard to beat. The 260 for limbing and light work and a 440/441/460 for the big stuff.:cheers:

by the sound of what you got id say the 260, but heres something to think about , how about a pole saw. how tall are the palm trees?

A 260 would be fine to trim and cut small stuff. If you're going to be cutting any wood bigger thsn 16" quite a bit then I would get the 361.

The 361 will get you done quicker but it might be more than you need for just trimming. It only weighs about 2lb more, but it has almost 1.5 more HP. Awesome saw indeed, but I always find myself running the 260 when I'm trimming limbs and cutting smaller brush/trees.

You have to haul the saw around 2lbs is 2lbs go to the store and cut using the 20" bars 260 won't be as fast but your back will thank you. :popcorn:

Like I said in your other post. I think the 260PRO with a MM (you don't even have to go crazy) and thats all you should need..... :clap:

I like the pole saw idea.... I have a Echo 265 power head and pole saw attachment and extension and I do use that thing a lot...

Back