You're a Pro...but what have you never done/tried???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannicus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I beleive that no matter how long we have been in the game that we are always learning new things as we go along and i doubt an arborist out there that has done and tried absolutely everything...but i could be wrong. Im sure many of us here could list more that a few.

For me never tried..

SRT.

Never used a harness with leg loops.

Have a bigshot but never used it...i know "what the!?"

Not once on my life have i used an Echo chainsaw:msp_wink:

Could most likely think of a lot more.

No SRT.( too many gadgets for me) No crane ops to speak of.( don't trust the crane co's here) Never run a husky and I have never actually Murphed anything ( just pretended to be as cool).

No SRT yet.
I'm guilty of buying lots of fancy kit that sits around unused. TCIA Expo is real bad for that, cause I get home and the latest and greatest gizmos (that I just had to buy) get tucked away for "later" use.
When I expire, you guys need to attend the garage sale my wife has....

No SRT. Never worked with a crane. Do not own a big shot. Never even seen a redwood in person. Never tipped over a bucket truck. Never fell out of a tree. What the hell have I been doing the last 30+ years. Do have 8 kids so must have been doing something. I did see the thread on what people have shot out of a big shot and might have to get one to try some of that.

Ive been doing SRT for as long as i can remember on pines way before it was even cool to be doing. No fancy gadgets just my distel getting tighter than no other and having to just only use three wraps and it slides ok. I hate standing on spikes for hours upon hours so i shoot a line up and try and hang off it as a go up keep my ACL's from screaming.

I guess I'm going to have to get a rope wrench now tho so I'm on the in crowd. my gear bag is already way to heavy i need a motorized cart to move it. i got it from tree stuff last month and its already tearing at the seams .

I have never used my big shot to launch a thin steel wire over a set of High tension lines. Not sure why but it was one of my first thoughts when I got my first big shot, I guess that was about 15 years ago… I thought the firework show would be a once in a life time sight. I haven’t done it yet and now I am putting it in writing so even I wanted to I could never do it…

still working

After forty years, Never cut my self with a saw(except loading a one not running in the back of a truck), Never had a fall from tree or otherwise, Hate ladders one broke and I did come down a short way (always inspect tools). Never been chased out of a tree by varmints or bees, never cut my climbing line, never got stuck where I couldn't get my self out, always try something better, that said I still feel more at ease climbing with ole habits, Still beat the young climbers in the trees.1972 to present climbed on the crane 12 ton 105' Arlo off the end of the boom separate pulley for climbing line attached at end, none of off the load line stuff you guys need your heads checked. Used split tail back in 74, distill, puruck and a few others we used to grease our rope to keep it from melting, 3 strand New England, and many rigging methods thought to be new today. Still doing it too. Never charged with a violation from OSHA, Never wrecked besides dents on trucks. Nerve hit a house with a tree. Never tore down power lines. Never lost property to storm removal damaged trees. Have ISA Cert. Never thought anyone needed all the other BS certs they have out there. Never told a costumer to ### ####. Just walk away and advise to call someone that will do what and how they want. Never brought home something I wasn't proud of. Never had a truck that wasn't christened. Never had anything but a truck (except an Austin Haley Sprite back in the days) she was my second ride. Never had to spend more than one day in a tree. Have eaten lunch and dinner and napped there though(always remember to pull up you tail so no one screws with you. Never not worn PPE. Never bought a product that just gets it done always go with the best, (learning Curve) Never talked crap about my competitor no matter how bad they are, just give them your creditably and let them decide. Never pass a new guy and not introduce yourself and ask if he needs any advice. Never said never to any job. there is always a way to do something.

How about the haves, I have had### in a tree, I have almost lost a big tree on a main st to much undercut oops, You get the idea

never worked with a crane...

o yeah... i always wanted to do a headstand on topped redwood like the old timers... and top a redwood with an axe...
maybe i ll save these for my last 2 trees...

Last edited:
Ive been doing SRT for as long as i can remember on pines way before it was even cool to be doing. No fancy gadgets just my distel getting tighter than no other and having to just only use three wraps and it slides ok. ....

I guess I'm going to have to get a rope wrench now tho so I'm on the in crowd.....
Nah...sounds like you are doing just fine. I am not convinced that all the toys make THAT big of a difference. Sure, it may take 2 minutes longer to get up the tree (after taking an extra minute to get it all tied in). But does that mean I complete the job in 119 minutes instead of a full 2 hours? Manye if I had to climb 187' before starting work I'd sing a different tune...but most TIPs are 75' or less.

....Never had a fall from tree...
I haven't either...as a professional. 2-3 pretty memorable falls as a kid. Worst fall resulted in 3 brakes between radius and ulna leading to a cast from hand to armpit (just before first grade). Next worst was around 7th grade...probably would have been bad, but I hit a branch 5' from the ground that slowed me down just enough.

Never been cut with a chainsaw, cut my rope all the way through, or cut what I'm tied to. Never dropped a tree on a building or tore down power/cable lines. Those are the 5 things I base every move I make around.

Done most all of the rest that I can think of, including fall out of a tree.

Folding the envelope.
Dropping a 100' tree in 50' space.
Lift your arm up vertical and bring your fist to shoulder dropping your elbow.
Someday.:wink2:

Never been cut with a chainsaw, cut my rope all the way through, or cut what I'm tied to. Never dropped a tree on a building or tore down power/cable lines. Those are the 5 things I base every move I make around.

Done most all of the rest that I can think of, including fall out of a tree.

Don't worry, the rest will come.

For me the list of things I WISH I'd never done is a lot longer than the things I've never done.... What do they say?.. "wisdom comes from experience, experience comes from making mistakes (and surviving to learn from them)... I've climbed SRT very briefly when rigging down a spar, never used a RW... for some reason what comes to mind is I never hit a high crotch with the throw line, throwing it backwards, ... tried it a few times though.... If I ever published the list of stuff I wish I'd never done, you guys would have a field day... the more I think about that, the more astounding it seems..

I've climbed a monster tree in Mexico with a saddle made out of poly rope, with doubled bowline for the waist and leg straps... climbed coconuts for the fruit in a resort in Mexico (before the staff came in), and got a good talking too from the manager... hey that was one of those situations where its better to ask forgiveness than permission. .. One thing that's on my bucket list is make it to the masters challenge for Penn-Del... do you believe in miracles???? I did win an event though, and beat Jim Roach in two events in '06.. You might not know Roachy, but that is quite an accomplishment in my thinking..

After forty years, Never cut my self with a saw(except loading a one not running in the back of a truck), Never had a fall from tree or otherwise, Hate ladders one broke and I did come down a short way (always inspect tools). Never been chased out of a tree by varmints or bees, never cut my climbing line, never got stuck where I couldn't get my self out, always try something better, that said I still feel more at ease climbing with ole habits, Still beat the young climbers in the trees.1972 to present climbed on the crane 12 ton 105' Arlo off the end of the boom separate pulley for climbing line attached at end, none of off the load line stuff you guys need your heads checked. Used split tail back in 74, distill, puruck and a few others we used to grease our rope to keep it from melting, 3 strand New England, and many rigging methods thought to be new today. Still doing it too. Never charged with a violation from OSHA, Never wrecked besides dents on trucks. Nerve hit a house with a tree. Never tore down power lines. Never lost property to storm removal damaged trees. Have ISA Cert. Never thought anyone needed all the other BS certs they have out there. Never told a costumer to ### ####. Just walk away and advise to call someone that will do what and how they want. Never brought home something I wasn't proud of. Never had a truck that wasn't christened. Never had anything but a truck (except an Austin Haley Sprite back in the days) she was my second ride. Never had to spend more than one day in a tree. Have eaten lunch and dinner and napped there though(always remember to pull up you tail so no one screws with you. Never not worn PPE. Never bought a product that just gets it done always go with the best, (learning Curve) Never talked crap about my competitor no matter how bad they are, just give them your creditably and let them decide. Never pass a new guy and not introduce yourself and ask if he needs any advice. Never said never to any job. there is always a way to do something.

How about the haves, I have had### in a tree, I have almost lost a big tree on a main st to much undercut oops, You get the idea

Ha this blokes my doppleganger brother :msp_smile: he's saved me a whole lot of typing... Lets see what we share,, started on 3 strand new england basic web harness n flip bow line n pussuk still use this today, oh got better rope. No injurys to me or damage thats been more than petty cash. ISA cert too & no trouble with OHS. Oh yup hung off cranes, please dont tell. I did drop a phone line but twas storm fouled anyhoo. Not tried in paid job SRT played with but its not for me. Canna say I had sex in tree, have read a book and did pull up me tail less groundi tie it off.

What I wanna try is hmm find a tree helmet that fits and dont give me the ####s. Git out n into canopy from a chopper be kool. Wanna operate a hammer mill n excavator. Be nice to log fell some real forest trees, done it years ago been awhile to scaf up with a 088 n 5 foot bar. Be nice to show my 14yold son what n not to do, he worked with me today and he's good for age but such a blank canvas, I sure can save him some grief if he'd listen..... Hey just like dad was a know all dont tell me young buck .

Back