YouTube live video now, tuning help needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As in title, if you know anything about chainsaw tuning please join me live now for advice.

Update: just got home and saved the video so anyone can watch it and share advice, man it would be much appreciated!!

Side note, the oil seals are good too, brand new and holds 6psi pressure and vacuum whilst spinning the crank.

I just had a thought, maybe it’s the carb?! It was an aftermarket (probs farmer-tech) carb.
Are these Chinese’s carbs known to be temperamental?

I’m going to put the stihl one in and try again and see if it runs again since stripping the saw again. Last time I tried this, I didn’t have the plastic cover on etc.Why I didn’t think about that before I don’t know, I thought it was just my inability to tune or that it was the piston... It could be the carb all along. If it runs fine with the other (stihl) carb, then surly it’s the aftermarket carb that’s the problem... it wouldn’t surprise me that it’s total junk come to think of it...

I’m going to check the height of the metering lever too on the Chinese’s carb while I have it off the saw too as I haven’t checked that.

I would definitely pop on a good stihl carb {they are only $22 at the Stihl dealer here, but are non-adjustable}.
Also, when futzing around with a saw, take off the bar and chain, until you get it roughly dialed it.
Do you have another thread of your work on this particular saw?

I would definitely pop on a good stihl carb {they are only $22 at the Stihl dealer here, but are non-adjustable}.
Also, when futzing around with a saw, take off the bar and chain, until you get it roughly dialed it.
Do you have another thread of your work on this particular saw?
Hey mate :) hmmm I wanted to learn how to tune saws, but I think you are right, or buy a proper Walbro carb?. I brought a farmer tech top end to slap on just now too as this all scored and damaged anyway, it will probably be junk but i’ll risk it, I’ll know in a month when the parts arrive ha. The saw only cost 27 USD so I have no attachment to it but I do want to learn as much as I can from it!

The off brand carbs are many times DAO, try a good Stihl carb. Sound like the carb isn't providing enough fuel, when you hit the throttle it goes lean and dies.
Hey! What is DAO? I just wish stihl made an adjustable carb for them! I want to use this saw to learn from, tuning and rebuilding etc so don’t want to put a stihl non adjustable in long term. However I do have a stihl non adjustable in my new ms 180 so I will pop it in and try tomorrow just so i can rule the carb as the problem :)

Hey! What is DAO? I just wish stihl made an adjustable carb for them! I want to use this saw to learn from, tuning and rebuilding etc so don’t want to put a stihl non adjustable in long term. However I do have a stihl non adjustable in my new ms 180 so I will pop it in and try tomorrow just so i can rule the carb as the problem :)
I think he means DOA
Dead On Arrival....

I’ve a couple of important questions:-
1) is tucking your ears into your baseball cap an Aussie thing, to stop them getting sun burned?
2) what sort of work do you do where u can wear shorts and flip flops???
WRT turning the carb it’s all voodoo to me so I can offer no help at all...sorry

1) is tucking your ears into your baseball cap an Aussie thing, to stop them getting sun burned?
WRT turning the carb it’s all voodoo to me so I can offer no help at all...sorry
I believe he is a gigolo on lunchbreak..

Bahahah, so the ear thing is sun burn yes, we just had 39 c / 103 f yesterday and today although wasn’t as hot was way hot enough! And I’m self employed, heck sometimes I don’t even wear boxers under my shorts and if I’m feeling really crazy I’ll follow it up with a double shot of coffee in my cappuccino in the morning and sing to 1990’s smash hits ! I work in my home office... :crazy2:

...:laughing:

In all seriousness I am self employed (but not what Harley thought!) so when I said I have to get back to work, it was work on my own schedule, although running a business sounds like it gives freedom, it really doesn’t. My typical working day is 14 hours a day 7 days a week. It’s now 1am and I have just finished for the day having started at 9am! I had an hour lunch break with the saw and walked the dog for half an hour in the am!

Spooning with Tom Bigalow lol

I’m self employed as well but I’m not sure climbing a tree with a saw strapped to my speedos would be a good look. Spikes over flip flops would be interesting :rock:

I’m just jealous, heavy boots and chainsaw trousers from 0700 til finish is my catwalk.

This is what happens when you take a pasty complexion Brit and reinstall them under the hole in the ozone layer............ take them away from their constant overcast natural environment, expose them to some sunlight and they burn like a crisp. :crazy2::havingarest:

Latest posts

Back