Yuppie Mountain Man Bartender Husky 350 Diagnosis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the previous owner run the air filter on the saw like it was shown in the picture?
No, it had the cover over it, and the cylinder cover on top of it. I just opened it all up so I could see how the owner kept the filter clean, I was actually expecting quite a bit more dust in there considering how dirty the rest of the saw is/was.
This is one of the easiest saws to repair that I have worked on. From what I can see the cylinder should clean up good, buy an aftermarket piston for it; looks like you have the 44mm version as it is not a dished piston (as found on the epa version). Any aftermarket piston will do, don't get hung up on a named brand, the experience is what you're after; shouldn't cost you more that about $30-$35. Meteor doesn't make one & OEM is priced way to high, and since it's your first rebuild, go cheap, get your feet wet & get it running. Once you have it running & have built a little confidence, then try your luck with the 346 conversion if you want (you can always sell the 350 P&C later to help pay for the 346 P&C). I have had great luck with the 45mm version epa/dished 350 saw by replacing bad pistons with one for a 353 (flat top), but like I said, unless I'm seeing the pictures wrong, it looks like your saw is the 44mm version. Good luck with the rebuild, if you have any questions, PM me; I can almost do these in my sleep I've done so many.
Nitro,

You are correct, I do have a non-EPA version, and the saw was built in 2002. Earlier I called and talked with Gregg at Bailey's and decided to do just as you suggest, I ordered the aftermarket piston for about $30, for the sole reason to port this cylinder. I will plan to replace with a 346 xp ne p/c in the future, but for now I'm going to play with the old cylinder.

The after market piston is made in Taiwan, but I figured just as you say, since it is my first port, it makes perfect sense to use what I have.

For $25 for the saw, and $30 for the piston/ring, I don't think I can loose too much! ;)

Was almost going to order the OEM 346 piston, it was about $50, but I figure for this it doesn't matter so much and the cheaper Taiwan piston should do fine, and save me $20 if I do resell it later when I upgrade.

I haven't put my hands on a NE 346 P&C yet, I know the older 346 has a 42mm P&C. I think the NE is 44mm, but haven't had a chance to look at the transfers etc yet. I do have a complete 346 & a complete 2149 case that keeps telling me to try the NE P&C combo though! I have enough pieces between the two of them to make a complete saw, it may be time to make one of those funny looking red & orange zebra saws.

I haven't put my hands on a NE 346 P&C yet, I know the older 346 has a 42mm P&C. I think the NE is 44mm, but haven't had a chance to look at the transfers etc yet. I do have a complete 346 & a complete 2149 case that keeps telling me to try the NE P&C combo though! I have enough pieces between the two of them to make a complete saw, it may be time to make one of those funny looking red & orange zebra saws.
Yeah, the NE is definitely 44mm, as-is my 350.

First I'll work on porting this cylinder, and down the road I can hot rod this even more and go for the NE P/C. This cylinder will be good to learn on.

Back